How Many with Sell their M10 for the M10R?

jplomley

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, james.liam said:

Not crazy about the B&W. You need a Monochrom.

In what way would the Monochrom better for this? And does anyone agree?

Edited by Nowhereman

If the M10-R has enough pixels, using B&W actions in Photoshop and maybe plus the Silver Efex Pro plug in, an M10-R will be able to duplicate most of what an M10 Monochrome can do but take spectacular colour shots as well. Even going back as far as the M8, I have printed B&W shots as large as 24” x 36” (using the Epson rip engine) but more usually to A2 size as I can do that in house. I have exhibited these photos and received pleasant feedback for their definition and sharpness. I also have a full kit of fast.(f0.95 to f1.5) lenses from 21 to 85mm and with these, can manage fairly well without the additional 1 stop dynamic range of the monochrome cameras. On that basis, for me I see little advantage in buying a Monochrome. I am very much hoping the M10-R arrives before I go down to France at the end of April. I know I am #1 on Ffordes queue. 

Wilson

Guest Nowhereman
1 hour ago, james.liam said:

More subtle gradation of grey tones. 

The point, though, is that I don't want smoother gradation: I want the somewhat higher contrast. Indeed, with the M10, I can have substantially smoother gradation in the foregoing shot, but I processed it to have the look it has. 

When I shot film, I always liked the "35 mm aesthetic", typified by Tri-X. Back about 2004, a friend made some shots of a floating market near Bangkok, both with Tri-X; one was with a Summicron 35 lens and the other with a Mamiya 7. Both of us preferred the greater "bite" — the word we used in discussing these shots — that the 35mm image had. 

You go, Mitch!

"Image quality" is a poor substitute for "quality images" - as has been proven time and time again in the history of photography (especially Leica photography).

("I prefer a fuzzy picture of a sharp concept to a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams).

That being said, a Monochrom of some vintage might (emphasize "might") provide more headroom for highlights - that is still being debated on other sub-forums.

And it might (depending on other factors) provide a bit more acutance, due to less swapping of brightness data between neigboring pixels (de-mosaicing of the Bayer pattern).

And it would almost certainly provide higher ISOs for the same amount of grain (no loss of light to Bayer color filters).

If that matters. I think you are doing just fine with your plain-vanilla M10.

I find it easier to get skin tones the way I prefer them with a monochrome sensor as opposed to using the color channel sliders in a color converted M10 file. Obviously someone with Decent editing Skills can make it work I just prefer the workflow in B&W and I’m not proficient at editing. 

I think I’m going to skip the M10R because I still love the M10P output, handling, etc. And, having spent 8.8k this year on the M10 Monochrom I should take a break from buying camera gear. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, adan said:

<snip>

("I prefer a fuzzy picture of a sharp concept to a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams).

<snip>

That does sound more like Mark Twain than Ansel Adams ;-).

You were probably thinking of the following quote.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept - Ansel Adams

16 hours ago, SrMi said:

One could skip the update to M10-P and get the mythical M10-R instead.

...or wait further for the M10R-P drop shipped from Valhalla.

One can always spend one’s life on the sidelines waiting for “perfection” , whatever that might mean.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Am 15.2.2020 um 01:33 schrieb Printmaker:

I did some serious thinking over this dilemma. I could use the extra MP because I often print over 20x30 inches. But unless Leica upgrades the processor - which I doubt they will do - the extra MP will come at a cost. A new SL2 would be a better investment. No doubt Leica will  bump the price of a M10R a grand or so.  That would  make the SL2/24-90 combo more affordable. (GAS logic) If so, I would keep my M10 and probably sell my Monochrom.

But a black paint M10R might cloud my thinking.

Well the black paint m10r you dreamed off was released 😃