How Many with Sell their M10 for the M10R?

jplomley

For me as an M240 owner, the improved OVF and extended high ISO performance on an M10-R is more important than more pixels. I  really notice the ISO limitation and additional noise when using my M240, coming from either my CL or SL. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Guest Nowhereman

As with the M10M, I'm simply not interested in more resolution and in a ~41MP sensor, either for color or B&W. For both my M10 is fine, including its high-ISO performance. For example, for the image below, even though it may have less than optimum sharpness (from camera shake) either for color or B&W, 24 MP files are enough, even if you make 100 x 150 cm (40 x 60 inch) prints.

M10 | DR Summicron 50 | ISO 1600 | f/5.6 | 1/60 sec

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Nowhereman

And here is the B&W version...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

No, higher Mp  (IMHO) has no advantage to a street shooter like me.  I love my M10-P and while I might explore the new M10-M, there are other ways of improving print quality like using an Epson piezo printer.  The average human eye will not be able to tell the difference.  Pretty much like the over specs on a stereo system - the numbers look good but my ears cannot tell the difference. Henri Cartier Bresson will roll over in his grave.

I'm considering getting rid of my Q2 and SL and sticking with just the M10-P.  Too many girlfriends!  Got to settle with just one.

Edited by jdfloresjr
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, SrMi said:

Most seem to expect that M10R only improves on the resolution. If M10M is an indication, we should expect a lower base ISO and less noise at higher ISO (2 stops?).

The higher ISO performance of the M10M vs M10(P)—about 1.5-2 stops total depending on conditions—is likely mostly a result of removing the Bayer CFA.  I’d expect maybe 0.5 stops of added high-ISO performance vs the M10 if the M10M sensor were used under a standard CFA.

Has any camera manufacturer tried using a four-color CFA instead of a three-color one? Seems color accuracy could be better and thus light sensitivity could be better as well, since you won’t need to use such narrow frequency-bandpass filters to achieve the same degree of color accuracy information.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, onasj said:

The higher ISO performance of the M10M vs M10(P)—about 1.5-2 stops total depending on conditions—is likely mostly a result of removing the Bayer CFA.  I’d expect maybe 0.5 stops of added high-ISO performance vs the M10 if the M10M sensor were used under a standard CFA.

<snip>

To clarify: From various reports, there seems to be at least one stop difference between M10M and M246. According to DPR Studio Scene, M246 appears to have a one stop advantage over M10. On the other hand, Panasonic's S1R (47Mp) seems to have similar (<1 stop) noise as M10 (DPR Studio Scene, output scaled to the same size). 

In the early years of digital photography, the pixel race was fierce. Then it slowed down considerably when sensors reached 16Mp or so. Some (including me) thought it was because image quality had reached the optimal level, but maybe it was just because semiconductor technology had reached some limit, above which it was too expensive to produce for the mass market. Now it seems the race is on again, so there has probably been some progress. Even smartphone camera Mps seem to be going up.

Actually, in smartphones the trend seems also to be adding more and more cameras (lens+sensor). Maybe Leica or some other manufacturer would one day make a camera that takes e.g. three M lenses at the same time (I know there was this three-lens turret for mounting LTM glass)? No, just kidding😀

Edited by mujk
  • Haha 1

I would like to see a ‘race’ to make a camera with battery life that matches the data storage - if it takes a few days to fill the memory card then I want my battery to last at least that long. Hmmmmmm, if there are enough megapixels maybe the card will fill up faster!

How about an M with 43 mpx sensor, IBIS, weather sealing, quiet shutter and auto focus. Oh, wait, I have that already. It's called the SL2.

But seriously, I love shooting my M10 and M10P. An M10P with the SL2 sensor would do it for me. IBIS would be nice too, but don't mess with the rangefinder.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

I did some serious thinking over this dilemma. I could use the extra MP because I often print over 20x30 inches. But unless Leica upgrades the processor - which I doubt they will do - the extra MP will come at a cost. A new SL2 would be a better investment. No doubt Leica will  bump the price of a M10R a grand or so.  That would  make the SL2/24-90 combo more affordable. (GAS logic) If so, I would keep my M10 and probably sell my Monochrom.

But a black paint M10R might cloud my thinking.