Anyone use both a Leica M and a DSLR?

jwr50

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How difficult is it to switch back and forth?

I'm a long-time Leica M user, now happily using an M10.  I've always been partial to rangefinders, but I'm considering a DSLR for certain situations that the M10 is not well suited for.  The autofocus on DSLRs and the ability to take longer lenses (esp. for sports photography) would be nice to have in some circumstances.

I'd stick with the M10 for most scenarios, but I can see times when I'd like to grab a DSLR.  Am I going to find it difficult to move between the two systems?

I only had a Canon 5D for a short period but for the rest no DSLR. This was because I couldn’t miss some R lenses, and for macro and tele work. Now I use my SL for that purpose. Isn’t the DSLR concept getting obsolete?

For lacrosse and equestrian event photos I found a DSLR ideal.  I don't shoot those much any more, but recently acquired a TL2 to complement my M10.

The TL2 with the zoom lens is ideal as a knock-about camera, and for travel, and I hope to try it out with some longer non-TL tele lenses using one of the adapters.

Part of my choice was to stay within the Leica system to make (for me) the operation both cameras readily familiar and the rendering of photos more consistent. 

Ever since the SLRs came into their own, in the early sixties, M knew the strengths and weaknesses of either system, and often would have and use both. Nothing has changed. Well, the accessory EVF is more practical than the optical Visoflex. ;) 

I've used digital M's (and M6's before that) alongside (D)SLRs.  Absolutely no problem.  For most of my music and theatre work I use 2 M bodies with 28 summicron and 50 lux attached + Canon 5D4 and f2.8 70-200 IS mkII.  It's a perfect combination for my way of working.  Check any of the galleries here: https://www.ctribble.co.uk/performance.html

• Like 3

I used both film Ms and film SLRs for 50 years - but always manual focus models. Tried dSLRs but couldn't stand them - never found a dSLR that could compare to a ground-glass SLR focusing screen from a film SLR, and don't trust autofocus.

However, I do use a Sony A7 with my old manual focus SLR lenses along with my M9 / M10 for longer lenses and macro.

Edited by TomB_tx

6 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

No, they still sell far more than 'mirrorless' cameras and the optical finder has zero lag which is still faster than the fastest EVF.

I rather doubt your figures, James. I think that mirrorless cameras outsell DSLRs by a large margin by now.

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I rather doubt your figures, James. I think that mirrorless cameras outsell DSLRs by a large margin by now.

CIPA stats for Jan-Sept 19, DSLR v Mirrorless ILC's, total DSLR's 3,329,446 total mirrorless 2,595.558. OK this doesn't include Leica but given their % of the market that's not going to make much difference.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

CIPA stats for Jan-Sept 19, DSLR v Mirrorless ILC's, total DSLR's 3,329,446 total mirrorless 2,595.558. OK this doesn't include Leica but given their % of the market that's not going to make much difference.

Aren’t this mostly the DSLR’s in the pricerange 200-1000€ ?

A Z7 gives you the option to use M lenses with mostly very good results, allows for advanced flash systems, has IBIS and lets you mount F lenses and now Sony lenses with an adapter. Not to mention their Z lenses. Small footprint, great ergonomics (for me ...). Not a DSLR, I know. But doubles as a second body for M lenses, if needed. No DSLR can do this.

10 hours ago, jwr50 said:

How difficult is it to switch back and forth?

I'm a long-time Leica M user, now happily using an M10.  I've always been partial to rangefinders, but I'm considering a DSLR for certain situations that the M10 is not well suited for.  The autofocus on DSLRs and the ability to take longer lenses (esp. for sports photography) would be nice to have in some circumstances.

I'd stick with the M10 for most scenarios, but I can see times when I'd like to grab a DSLR.  Am I going to find it difficult to move between the two systems?

It terms of difficulty, not at all. 

I still use my Canon 5DS as my main workhorse camera. I am a touring music photographer and also do the promo/portrait photos as well as the album art for the musician. That resolution is needed some times. Also, the autofocus in run & gun situations, live shows etc is crucial. I try and use the M10 as much as possible, it is always on me and where it is practical to use both, I will always use the M10. However the DSLR still has its place and it is important for me. I find no difficulty in switching between the two systems. 

It is for my own situation that I would like to see the 'M11' have 48MP and some better dynamic range. However, even with that, I would still need the autofocus so my DSLR will always be part of my working kit. I think anyway! :)