M10 to Venice - 28mm or 21mm or both?

Chazphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I've booked a short trip to Venice, which will be my first time there.   Any recommendations for which wide-angle, given relative building height to narrowness of street issues?  The 50mm Summuilux and 90mm Elmarit will come along for sure and I could always take both wides, but advice/experience gratefully received.

thanks

Chazphoto

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chazphoto said:

Hi,

I've booked a short trip to Venice, which will be my first time there.   Any recommendations for which wide-angle, given relative building height to narrowness of street issues?  The 50mm Summuilux and 90mm Elmarit will come along for sure and I could always take both wides, but advice/experience gratefully received.

thanks

Chazphoto

My vote 21mm, as I don't have a 28mm! I would also take a 35mm/90mm

I’ve been to Venice. It’s great. I only have 2 lenses. 28 & 50. I don’t need anything else. I would probably shoot mostly 28. If I could only take 1, I would just take a 28mm. I have an M10R so I can always crop 

• Like 2

I've been there twice, including a week-long visit. I didn't have anything wider than about 28 IIRC, and nothing longer than 90 at most.
At risk of over-simplifying my experience I would say:

• Apart from Piazza San Marco I would have had trouble getting far enough away from almost any building to shoot it without a fisheye, the lanes are so narrow. On the water/ferries, we could get as far away as we liked, and it's not Manhattan. The same applies to the islands away from the main bits (Murano, Burano, Torcello) . So if I was going back I would not take anything wider than 28.
  • Joys of Venice for photography AFAIC are the narrow lanes and waterways and the interiors, and architectural details, not big structures. Churches are dark (I sang with a choir in San Marco at midday and it was like dusk), and there's a lot of wall decoration (e.g. mosaics, frescos, statuary). If I had to take one lens it would be a Summilux 35, modern enough to shoot wide open and keep detail.
  • The other joy of Venice, of course, is the human zoo. For me that means a 75 or, failing that, a 50, but everybody's taste here differs.
  • Polarising filter for the water. 
  • It's hyper-crowded in the obvious places (esp. Rialto to San Marco), so I wouldn't want a big bag, and I wouldn't want it behind me where I can't see or feel a hand in it in the crush.

Taken before I was shooting raw, with a low res Canon P&S, around 28mm equiv. You might need a 18 or wider to reach the tops of the flagpoles.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I  probably carry more lenses than most people when travelling, but for places like Venice, or anywhere with churches, mosques etc. a 15mm (or the widest you have) is indispensable if you have one. probably it will be a smaller aperture than most, so also a faster lens for some situations. This assumes you will be doing architectural, indoors and outdoors stuff. Different lenses for people etc. based on how you shoot normally. Travel really doesn't change your style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, erl said:

I  probably carry more lenses than most people when travelling, but for places like Venice, or anywhere with churches, mosques etc. a 15mm (or the widest you have) is indispensable if you have one. probably it will be a smaller aperture than most, so also a faster lens for some situations. This assumes you will be doing architectural, indoors and outdoors stuff. Different lenses for people etc. based on how you shoot normally. Travel really doesn't change your style.

Yes you are right, different lenses for different situations and people. Everyone has their favourite lenses for certain situations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there, I just came back from Venice a week ago. I had the M10R with 28 Elmarit, 35 'cron, 50 'lux and 90 Apo Asph 'cron.

I ended using just the 50 'lux. Such a versatile lens.

I think the 28mm (or 21mm if you are used to this focal length and the exaggerated perspective it can generate) would have been a nice complement to the 50mm focal length in some situations, but I did not wanted to fiddle with my camera and lens in the middle of the crowded streets. Ideal would be to have two camera with one lens on each.

• Like 1

Checking back over my photos the last time I went to Venice (5 years ago) I took 21 Zeiss Biogon, 35 Summicron IV, 50 Summilux ASPH and 90 Summicron. Nowadays I think I would take just my 28 Elmarit over the 21 and 35. The extra faff of taking 4 lenses (and two M bodies, for me at that time) wasn't worth it. You're only walking, or taking the Vaporetti, so it's better to keep the kit as lightweight as you can. Like Pierre68, above, I was mostly using the 50.

I accept what Pierre68 and nodrog said above. Each individual would photograph different things, or the same in a different way. Providing you have a 'style' of your own you should know what lenses you favour, regardless of where you may go.

In Venice I habitually carried 15, 35, 50, 75mm during the day. Back at the hotel I had 28, 24, 50(Noct), and 90mm. I would swap lenses around on different days, especially if I knew where I was going. Camera bodies were M10, M9 & M7. I am always prepared to 'work' at carrying my gear and have never regretted it. The rewards are always worth it. I have regretted NOT taking some gear on rare occasions. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. My point is, know yourself and what you want and are prepared to do for it. Nobody else's opinion matters.

• Like 1

I'ld go as wide as possible, and stick to it. [the latter is hard]

because the urban spaces there are crowded - alleys are small, many walls encroach you, waters appear and you must show where they come from, and bridges need their surrounding - and you can't step back. So you need a backdrop, the infinity curtain in the back. And a wide gives that.

For the city 21 is great then. [24 is super too. Of course. slightly more handsome in handling.]

Also a 21 can be used for groups at close range while the environment still plays a role in the composition.

• Like 2

Thing with Venice is the streets are narrow. The buildings aren’t tall. When there are big buildings there’s a plaza you can walk back. 

28mm is IMO the most versatile of all lenses. 35mm is no man’s land. 24 and wider are just awkward. 28mm can be for people, for walking around, for architecture. Anything. You never feel it’s too narrow or too wide. Too wide feels sparse and if you walk too close to someone they’re uncomfortable. 28mm just rides that edge and would be perfect for a walk around Venice lens. Other days you want to focus more on details then you can put on the 50mm. 

that’s the way I would do it. 

I'm not going to disagree with those who would rather have 21 or wider, while I would rather have 28 or longer.

My personal experience at the wide end (my widest prime was a 21 SEM, and my widest zooms were the 11-23TL and  - still - the 18-56SL) is that somewhere between 28 and 21 is the boundary where you have to pay particular attention to perspective and the angle you hold the camera at, to avoid the queasiness you get when one axis too many is neither vertical or horizontal. I have been very happy to use a 21, but I just find these extra wides require more care in the composition than 28 upwards. (I've never had a 24 to compare). It makes me regard 21 and wider as 'that special scene' lenses rather than 'leave it on the camera' lenses.

I'd be interested in others' views (not just in relation to Venice).

28 + 50 to travel light and to do almost everything you want. It’s a true king combo.

you want context = use 28

details/portraits/ tele-photo approach = use 50

you cant go wrong. Because there will always be a time that you think.. What if I had… it’s happens often.

• Like 1

In Venice and other places I usually stay a few days. Usually I do three walks a day and often start with the 28mm when I am in a city with narrow streets and tall buildings, then afternoon I go out with the 50mm or 135mm and concentrate on details, evening is usually with the Summilux 50. Using the 28 constantly often leads to the same type of pictures, forcing yourself to use the 135 often gives unexpected results. Had I only one lens to use, I would go with the versatile Summilux 50mm. Summary: bring all your lenses and change them regularly.

• Like 1

Another recommendation is to use a fast lens. A Summicron or better Summilux is great for handheld night shots. Venice reveals its beauty especially at night. Under these circumstances, if I had to choose between 21 and 28, I´d just pick the faster lens. The combo 28/50 would be my first choice. Keep your equipment weight low, there will be lots of walking and commuting in the city.

Edited by Ritsch-Ralph-Klick

I have been many times to Italy, and my usual set of lenses is 35mm & 50mm. I never feel like I need a wider lens. Things will look distorted with lenses wider than 28mm. Things will also look smaller and unreal for my perspective in street photography. The 50mm lens is a must for me. It can be used as a "normal" lens and as a short tele [just get closer to the subject]. In Venice, I went up the church tower to take photos of the San Marco plaza with the many people and pigeons. My iPhone has a wide angle lens. This will do. The 50mm lens is often a Sonnar 50/1.5 and the 35mm is usually the pre-asph Summilux 35/1.4. The iPhone is best for close-ups in street photography from the hip.

I never use a tele in such trips. It will be an extra load to carry and then you don't use it. Make the 50mm lens your fast tele.

Don't forget to enjoy your trip. Eat Gelato!

Edited by Raid Amin
  • Like 2