Anyone use both a Leica M and a DSLR?

jwr50

Yes and no problems. Like switching between a standard transmission and automatic car, both still have a wheel. Canon 5Ds and the reach of my 70-200 or 100-400 for sailing photography with autofocus is a different category of shooting that M10D is not a good fit for

I do switch very infrequently between my Fuji XPRO2 (sorry not DSLR, but operationally similar) and M10P.  The M10P is the always camera, the Fuji for special capabilities that I don't have or can't afford in Leica.  For example today it's raining in Southern California.  I shoot each and every day, so this is perfect time to take the XPRO2 out with a WR lens. The M stays on the table at home.

I find that I can get the Fuji into a setup that is workable compared to the M.  Somethings will remain elusive.  The aperture turns opposite direction for example.

Fortunately most of my work allows the opportunity to make 90% ready prior to the shoot so I'm not usually fumbling around with controls in a panic.

Regards,

Kevin

I use film and digital M, film and digital SLRs. Here isn't much to learn about M, (D)SLR is different, but not overly complicated. 

Both are with OVF. Can't stand EVF, unfortunately. Panning with it makes me dizzy at least. EVF is awesome for still objects and if you have time to kill, IMO.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I have used Canon DSLRs for just about everything, including evidentiary/forensic/crime scene duties from 2010, to early 2018, when I retired from public service. Canon remains my favored macro kit, but I shifted to Nikon for birds and distant wildlife in 2018, partly because my wife is also a keen nature/bird/wildlife photographers, so it is less expensive, and less luggage weight, if we share big telephoto lenses, and partly because of Nikons’ class-leading AF.

I added Leica M as a third system in 2018.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:29 AM, maxfairclough said:

Also, the autofocus in run & gun situations, live shows etc is crucial. I try and use the M10 as much as possible, it is always on me and where it is practical to use both, I will always use the M10. However the DSLR still has its place and it is important for me. I find no difficulty in switching between the two systems.

I work part-time as a photojournalist and use several 1DX and 5D MkIII as workhorses but I often rely on the autofocus of the DSLRs in run and gun situations too. However, I deliberately chose to let the M10 at home for most of the time if I'm working because, to be honest, I subconsciously associate picking up a camera with 'work' in the last years and I don't want to carry that feeling over to the M10. Therefore, I make the conscious decision to divide my work and my private projects through the camera I use but sometimes there are exceptions to that too, sure.

• Like 1

Just another tool, so pick the one is right!

I have many Sony cameras that use the new Sony lenses and canon lenses on it.  The canon camera is not interesting to me anymore, the Sony a7R3 and 4 have better sensors.

The Leica is for some projects and to take around for personal stuff.  I feel the M10-P need a better sensor for me to do serious work with it. 

The new SL2 looks promising , have to look about AF performance.

But I love to use the Noctilux 0.95 and a7R4  with Techart AF adapter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 2

I use Canon 5DSR and 7D DSLRs in parallel with the M9 and M10, for different purposes. No problem switching between these. I also have two mirrorless bodies, but use them mainly for video. I'm still not quite comfortable with EVFs and haven't yet decided if I will ever need to be.

When it comes to DSLRs, it's good to remember that there are a huge number of lenses for these out there and not all of them adapt that well to mirrorless bodies, particularly when it comes to AF. So I don't think Nikon or Canon will stop producing DSLRs any time soon, but there may be a shift towards the pro segment over time.

• 2 weeks later...

I do see similarities between RF and DSLR cameras, most prominently with the OVF.  I use MF lenses on my D800E too.  In fact I passed through Hong Hong for half a day earlier this week en route to somewhere else.  Had to be quick taking images of somewhere I'd never been before and might not be again.  So I ditched taking the RF overseas in favour of the DSLR because I know the latter can get things done quickly with less thought and preparation and at the same time render top quality images, ideal when you have a limited time span.

• 2 weeks later...

I use both M10 and SL, now SL2 since trading in my SL for the new model. After shooting M10 exclusively for about 2 years, shooting with the SL was a nice reminder of the convenience of a good zoom and autofocus.

My M10 is still my camera of choice for street and travel vacations as the SL is a beast. I have the Summicron. SL 35mm lens which makes the SL2 more compact, but it is still huge compared to my M10 with a Summicron or Summilux M 35mm lens mounted.

Using M primes on the SL2 is a neat experience because of the excellent focus peaking on this body. I can finally nail focus with my Noctilux 50mm f0.95 on the SL. This was sometimes hit or miss on the M.  My previous system for years was Fuji. The Fuji XT2 and XT3 have good focus peaking, but the SL implementation is better and you can see the focus peaking when viewing images on the SL2's LCD screen - very cool.

The new 47mpx sensor in the SL2 is amazing. I would love to see this sensor in a future version of the M. 

My main reason to invest in the SL when I love the M10 is for zoom lenses. I own the Vario-Elmarit SL 24-90 and 90-280 zooms. They are both excellent even with the increased resolution of the SL2 sensor.

I really don't miss the slapping mirror design of the traditional DSLRs. For over 20 years I was a Canon SLR shooter, I have had numerous Canon DSLRs starting with the 10D and ending with the 5DMk3 and 1DsMk3 bodies. For the last 10 years of my Canon experience, I used Canon "L" lenses only. I switched to FujiX about six years ago and sold that system after buying my first Leica, the M10, in November 2017. 

I did keep one Canon "L" lens though, the 17mm tilt-shift lens. I was planning to use with an adapter on my FujiX cameras, but I never purchased the adapter. Now that I have the SL2, I will be buying the Novaflex Canon to SL adapter to start using this lens for architectural photography. The adapter is expensive, but it is fully functional for the electronic setting of the lens aperture as this lens does not have an aperture ring.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Edited by budjames
  • Like 1

Yes, I use both; the M10 and M9M are my main cameras (plus the SL) but I also have a Nikon D810 and D800 for safari and motorsport. I have a comprehensive set of Nikon lenses but the main ones are the 600mm F4 and 300mm F2.8. I only use the others if we go to Africa, which would incorporate a safari, then I leave the Leica's at home.

Unfortunately the M system cannot cover all photographic subjects and I am therefore happy to use Nikons for anything requiring longer focal lengths, or speed. Hopefully someday, someone will bring a 500/600mm lens out for the SL and then I may be tempted to stick with just the one system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lanetomlane said:

Unfortunately the M system cannot cover all photographic subjects and I am therefore happy to use Nikons for anything requiring longer focal lengths, or speed.

Yes, Basically anything longer than 50mm and the Leica stays at home.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, jwr50 said:

How difficult is it to switch back and forth?

I'm a long-time Leica M user, now happily using an M10.  I've always been partial to rangefinders, but I'm considering a DSLR for certain situations that the M10 is not well suited for.  The autofocus on DSLRs and the ability to take longer lenses (esp. for sports photography) would be nice to have in some circumstances.

I'd stick with the M10 for most scenarios, but I can see times when I'd like to grab a DSLR.  Am I going to find it difficult to move between the two systems?

Have had Ms since the M6 as well as R8-9, S2, 006 and 007.

I have had no issue switching back and forth. Different cameras for different events as mentioned before along with different experiences and different challenges...

Have no fear, you will adapt!

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

I use DSLR, Mirrorless, Film, and digital and last year shot Large Format per request. Different brushes for different uses. I mean it’s just a camera. For documentary work it is mostly Leica M. They are my favorite when shooting by myself. Vision is more important than gear. 😉

• Thanks 1

I'm an oddball. For things my digital Ms (21-135mm) and/or 6x6 film cameras can't handle (wildlife and outdoor sports with "200-600mm f/4" equivalence) I now use a high-end fixed-superzoom "bridge" camera.

The Sony RX10iv.

Frankly, it not only saves my wallet and my back on those rather rare occasions I need the longer reach - but it also outperforms many traditional DSLRs with "equivalent" focal lengths, so long as the ISO doesn't need to be higher than 400 (it has a 20Mp 1" sensor). It is strictly a daylight camera - but for those subjects, I am strictly a daylight photographer.

The "Zeiss 24-600mm" f/2.8-4 Vario-Sonnar is simply astonishing at the long end, as such lenses go (but don't take my word for it - look it up on dpreview: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv/8). I tried various Canikon combos - the Zeiss has more punch, and color closer to Leica lenses.

It is so different from the M digitals that I actually don't have much problem swapping between them - the Sony runs all the time in full-auto: turn on, zoom out, frame, push button. With so much automation, even the required EVF is acceptable, since I don't have to focus with it manually.

And no, it is not a Leica SL with APO 90-280 plus teleconverter. OTOH it was $1700 rather than $12500 (lens included) and weighs less than the 90-280 by itself, let alone an APO-R 560mm f/4.

I've promised the mods I won't post any Sony/Zeiss shots, so I do look forward to the day a Leicasonic "V-Lux 7" catches up to the Sony in lens length and quality - I'd swap immediately. Right now the V-Lux 5 is about 2-3 generations behind, technologically. Needs phase-detect AF, stacked sensor for even faster AF and tracking, that extra 50% of zoom length, and better long-end lens resolution.

(BTW, historically, I did use a Canon 5D2 with adapted Leica-R 180/250/400mm lenses. Some of those pix appear in my magazine. Outside of the unwieldyness and lack of split-image focusing, I did not have much trouble swapping between them and my Ms - but than I have 40+ years SLR experience behind me).

Coming in rather late to this thread...

FWIW, I use a combination of Leica M (film and digital) with various Olympus bodies. The latter provides macro and telephoto capabilities in a diminutive form factor that is not possible with either APSC or full-frame DSLRs or mirrorless cameras. Olympus also have the best weather/dust sealing of any camera that I have used.

Micro 4/3 gets a bad rap because of its smaller sensor size. Yet at base ISOs there is little to distinguish between the E-M1.2 and M10 in terms of image quality and sharpness. The Olympus 12-40mm zoom compares well with Leica primes for sharpness, although obviously there is less bokeh and its character is sometimes rougher (the trade-off between out-of-focus rendering and overall sharpness). Olympus gets a bad rap for the complexity of its menu system - yet once set up you can use an Olympus camera in pretty much the same way as a Leica, and the reliable AF, image stabilisation and exposure metering IMO makes the camera quicker and easier to shoot with. Many of the lenses have a pull-back focus ring that gives a workable manual-focus system as well.

The main reasons why I shoot Leica is for the faster full-frame prime lenses (low light and DOF control), for shooting film, and above all for the smaller size (seriously - compare a Leica 50mm to an Olympus 25mm f1.2...). If I need weather sealing, telephoto, close-focus, image stabilisation, or just want to be able to shoot quickly and reliably without hassle, I use the Olympus.

The two systems complement each other well, and switching between systems is not a big deal. But currently the majority of our professional work is shot with Olympus, while only specific projects use Leica (and, surprisingly, usually with film rather than the M10). That balance would probably change if Leica offered an M system with a more competitive sensor, as well as with service that does not imply keeping multiple (expensive) backup bodies just in case of failure.

Edited by Mark II
  • Like 2