rumors SL2 with 36MP sensor only

nicci78

1 hour ago, Tailwagger said:

With an SL2, there is an S1R, and one that presumably cost half to 40% of the SL2. And then there's a potentially a Foveon to contend with as well at some point as well. 

The Foveon excites me, too, but it will be a specialty camera.

As to price, the Q2 is around 20% higher than the latest version of the Q with roughly the same changes: slight body modifications including the CLs 3 buttons, weather proofing, new battery, brighter EVF, and larger sensor. So, the SL2 might sell for around the same 20% premium over the original price of the SL, which does make it ~ 2x the price of the SR1.

Edited by bags27

Just realized that LFI 7/2019 is scheduled to appear on 20 September. That's Friday of next week. I suspect we will have an official announcement by then. Pre-announcement photos of new Leicas getting out into the wild have a tradition going back to at least the M8.  I'm guessing we're within 10 days of the official announcement.

vor 33 Minuten schrieb Fedro:

The original SL was quite innovative both in terms of look and layout  ..

I found that the four large, unmarked buttons next to the LCD screen of the SL just slowed me down as I would sometimes hit them inadvertently with my nose. ISO and focus mode can all be set in the menu. Fewer buttons makes for more fluid operations, I’d say, especially for those of us with big noses. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

I found that the four large, unmarked buttons next to the LCD screen of the SL just slowed me down as I would sometimes hit them inadvertently with my nose. ISO and focus mode can all be set in the menu. Fewer buttons makes for more fluid operations, I’d say, especially for those of us with big noses. 

I share the big nose :) but actually found the 4 programmable buttons layout fantastic and practical to use, it was one of the things that won me over with the SL

Pity to see them gone from my PoV and use

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, johnbuckley said:

Just realized that LFI 7/2019 is scheduled to appear on 20 September. That's Friday of next week. I suspect we will have an official announcement by then. Pre-announcement photos of new Leicas getting out into the wild have a tradition going back to at least the M8.  I'm guessing we're within 10 days of the official announcement.

In which case, assuming we're getting a pano sensor, I will certainly be looking forward to reading what Jono has to say.  And in particular why I should buy one SL2 instead of two S1Rs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

In which case, assuming we're getting a pano sensor, I will certainly be looking forward to reading what Jono has to say.  And in particular why I should buy one SL2 instead of two S1Rs.

Looks like the S1R is #3 at DXO Mark. Just how good is the sensor? Weren't there complaints about noise at low ISOs?

SL2 over S1R

Smaller ? Lighter ? Better build quality ? Easier user interface ? Build in M and R lenses software correction ? Better top screen ? GPS ? 

No IBIS and no tilting screen ? Yes they are features for me. 

By the way, there are no such thing as Panasonic sensor, since 2013. They are buying them to Sony or TowerJazz. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lct said:

Bit more compact than the SL it seems (my p'shoping).

Which doesn't make it more attractive. Speaking as an M and CL fan... ;)

I suspect that the screen tilts.  There is a bottom lifting edge on the screen and the body grip material chamfers in at the top edge of the screen.  It looks like the LCD is slightly bigger.  The buttons are consolidated on the tilting part.  This looks like a clean implementation.  

14 minutes ago, Agent M10 said:

Looks like the S1R is #3 at DXO Mark. Just how good is the sensor? Weren't there complaints about noise at low ISOs?

Do you mean #3 on their comparative list, where it is the third camera below the two MF cameras?

1 hour ago, johnbuckley said:

Was informed by reliable source that official announcement will be on September 24

51 minutes ago, michali said:

Yep it all emanates from 1 source, makes you wonder.... 

Nokishita is a trusty source in my book. 47MP sounds more credible than 36MP anyway, at least if Leica intends to sell the SL2 to more users than a couple members of this forum ;).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Mick H:

The buttons are consolidated on the tilting part.  This looks like a clean implementation.  

+1. Clean, minimalistic implementation is what Leica folks are good at. Still wish they would have added an ISO dial on top, though. Sure hope it comes with the SL2-P.