rumors SL2 with 36MP sensor only

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Edit. BTW I'm wondering about the 'pentaprism' bump seen in the SL2 pictures. Is it bigger than the SL's? Could we have an even bigger/brighter EVF?

As I mentioned before ..... I suspect it's probably the GPS unit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

To sum up :

- a visually smaller body. Thanks to design tricks. But it retains 98% of SL size. All buttons, switch, dials and joystick have the same size as before.

- seems like Leica gave up unibody aluminium. Just like the Q2, I bet the SL will be 100% magnesium. Hence the rounder body.

- 47MP Same sensor as Q2 and S1R 

- bigger rear screen. I guess it is a 3.2” one.

- CL & Q2 three buttons user interface. Which is nice for using different Leica cameras. Sadly M10 has a different layout with LV on top, instead of PLAY. And with PLAY in the middle instead of FN. It proves slightly difficult to switch between M10 and CL or Q2 for that reason. M11 should have this order PLAY, LV, MENU. 

- no more sharp edges. Say hello to round curves.

- still ugly. Actually less attractive than industrious SL design. 

- Cine mode. Same video capabilities as Lumix S1R ? That would be awesome.

Still unknown :

- IBIS. Taking into account that Q2 have OIS and S1R incorporates IBIS. It will be hard for a 47MP SL2 to sell without such technology. 

- GPS window, top case button layout and top screen are still unseen. 

- I/O ports are still unknown : 2 SD UHS II slots ? full size HDMI ? Mic and headphones jacks ? USB C in body charging ?

- still same BP-SCL4 battery as SL and Q2 ? I really hope it still be there. 

- will it use the same 5MP OLED EVF as S1R and A7R IV ? 

- availability and price. I hope for less than 6,600€ inc. VAT. Not more please. Q2 is 20% more expansive than lowest Q price. 5,500€ with tax was the lowest non discounted price for SL. Add 20%, you get 6,600€ VAT in.  

I won’t repeat my post above yours, but I see more squared, not more rounded, corners (notably end opposite grip) than on the current model.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

21 hours ago, nicci78 said:

It is just a visual tricks to make the camera appears smaller than SL. But it is not. Just slightly. 

EVF cup and glass have exact same size. An image of both EVF perfectly aligned.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you compare the M240 and M10, just a little shaved off in each dimension actually makes for a large difference in size and feel in the hand.

47 minutes ago, Distagon said:

If you compare the M240 and M10, just a little shaved off in each dimension actually makes for a large difference in size and feel in the hand.

If that’s the final product then I guess leica decided to ignore fixing the ugliness of the SL. I’m all for IBS this and IQ that but come on guys please fix the ugliness and make the SL2 sexy not booiooooooring.

Neil 

On 9/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, jaeger said:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it also looks terrible. I like the SL but find Vader ugly (what a sh... name). So finally the 47 MP are confirmed. Any news about ibis and high res mode ? (Not really interested in video).

I also do not like the lens on this foto. It looks far too big for a Summicron 50, with an oversized housing for the small glass lenses inside. How disgusting, and just to have this one size series - what again is so desirable in having one (over)size ?

For video look at the new iPhone 11 pro . Three lenses and much smarter than the SL2 when supporting video editing (far more advanced sw). Video makes development slower and is still not really great. Look at the foto features in general and see how better sw can improve the photo/video experience.

Edited by caissa
  • Like 3

On 9/11/2019 at 12:33 PM, caissa said:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it also looks terrible. I like the SL but find Vader ugly (what a sh... name). So finally the 47 MP are confirmed. Any news about ibis and high res mode ? (Not really interested in video).

I also do not like the lens on this foto. It looks far too big for a Summicron 50, with an oversized housing for the small glass lenses inside. How disgusting, and just to have this one size series - what again is so desirable in having one (over)size ?

For video look at the new iPhone 11 pro . Three lenses and much smarter than the SL2 when supporting video editing (far more advanced sw). Video makes development slower and is still not really great. Look at the foto features in general and see how better sw can improve the photo/video experience.

There’s no way to compete with Apple in software progression.  They do a pixel shift style photo layering That doesn’t need a tripod. The photographers slight movements are what builds the shifted image. The software then erases any artifacts of the subjects motion blur and replaces with a single exposure in those areas.

its crazy.  Read dpreview’s assessment of all their computational photography.  

Leica bought a company that makes a camera with multiple lenses and uses CP to stitch a high res, multi DOF image together.  Hopefully we can get a better sensor with some useful tech goodies.  

The real limitation here is the processor.  It’s always been with SLR cameras.  You can buy any high MP sensor you want, but a camera company’s development of a computational engine (hardware and software) is the limiting factor.  

Edited by NRKstudio

11 minutes ago, NRKstudio said:

There’s no way to compete with Apple in software progression.  They do a pixel shift style photo layering That doesn’t need a tripod. The photographers slight movements are what builds the shifted image. The software then erases any artifacts of the subjects motion blur and replaces with a single exposure in those areas.

its crazy.  Read dpreview’s assessment of all their computational photography.  

Leica bought a company that makes a camera with multiple lenses and uses CP to stitch a high res, multi DOF image together.  Hopefully we can get a better sensor with some useful tech goodies.  

The real limitation here is the processor.  It’s always been with SLR cameras.  You can buy any high MP sensor you want, but a camera company’s development of a computational engine (hardware and software) is the limiting factor.  

+1

• 1 month later...

Have you notice at the end of Jono Slack this paragraph :

To David Farkas at Leica Miami for friendship, a wonderful day long discussion at the 50th anniversary of the LHSA in the bar at the Hotel Leitz in Wetzlar (and yes David, you owe me on the 41/48mp bet!). He will have a review up on the RedDotForum site in the next few weeks.

Jono Slack SL2 review

What does that mean ? Does Leica face the choice to use either the cut down version of S3 64MP sensor at 41MP or the 47MP Q2 sensor ? 

In its interview with Matt Granger : Leica 2019 State of Play Stefan Daniel stated that the S3 64MP 30x45 sensor is unique and very very good. Enough resolution for anything (underlining is that it will be good enough against 100MP 33x44)

They really planed to released it earlier this year, but they faced unexpected challenges. He also said that everything else stays the same as S typ 007. So the only change, the sensor must be the problem.

Another cue is that M Monochrom typ 246 passed its 4 years anniversary without replacement. It is rumoured to use the cut down S3 sensor at 41MP. Stefan Daniel also confirmed in the video that M Monochrom cameras are doing very well and a remplacement is coming. 

Therefore did Leica opted for the well known 47MP instead of awesome 41MP ? Just to avoir further delay of SL2 ? 

Is must be the bet between David Farkas and Jono Slack.

• Like 1

Have you notice at the end of Jono Slack this paragraph :

To David Farkas at Leica Miami for friendship, a wonderful day long discussion at the 50th anniversary of the LHSA in the bar at the Hotel Leitz in Wetzlar (and yes David, you owe me on the 41/48mp bet!). He will have a review up on the RedDotForum site in the next few weeks.

Jono Slack SL2 review

What does that mean ? Does Leica face the choice to use either the cut down version of S3 64MP sensor at 41MP or the 47MP Q2 sensor ? 

In its interview with Matt Granger : Leica 2019 State of Play Stefan Daniel stated that the S3 64MP 30x45 sensor is unique and very very good. Enough resolution for anything (underlining is that it will be good enough against 100MP 33x44)

They really planed to released it earlier this year, but they faced unexpected challenges. He also said that everything else stays the same as S typ 007. So the only change, the sensor must be the problem.

Another cue is that M Monochrom typ 246 passed its 4 years anniversary without replacement. It is rumoured to use the cut down S3 sensor at 41MP. Stefan Daniel also confirmed in the video that M Monochrom cameras are doing very well and a remplacement is coming. 

Therefore did Leica opted for the well known 47MP instead of awesome 41MP ? Just to avoir further delay of SL2 ? 

Is must be the bet between David Farkas and Jono Slack. And maybe why certain resellers were sure that the SL2 will sport less MP count than Q2

Will we see one day the SL2 with 41MP sensor prototype ? 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

Thanks.  It seems Jono expected the 47-50 MPx Q2 sensor (he thought it would be 48ish, apparently) to be used and David the cut-down version of the S3 one.  At this point, the only thing I hope for is that Leica modified this sensor in such a way that the RAW data interpretation of base ISO 100 files don’t show pushed shadows banding.  Leica achieved this with the M10 sensor which is most likely a variant of the M240 and SL sensors, both of which had banding issues.  If they didn’t, we’re going back in history and have to wait until the SL3 for this to be corrected.  I’ll find it inexcusable that every time a new generation higher MPx sensor is being used, the pushed shadows banding issue reappears, particularly if considerations of higher resolution to do justice to the SL lenses outweighed 41MPx file quality.  I can’t wait to compare the files.  

M10 has the same sensor than Q and SL.

But the main difference is that Q and SL have an always ON sensor to provide compulsory live view.

However M10 being a rangefinder. It turns the sensor ON only when a photograph is taken. So it runs cooler. Live view being only provided on demand. 

That's also explain why Nikon DSLR provide better image quality than Sony mirrorless. Even if they share the same sensor. 

Always ON sensor will always suffer of slightly worst ISO performance, for heating issue alone. 

So S3 could be better than mirrorless X1D II and Fujifilm GFX-100. And Stefan Daniel also stated in S3 interview that sensor cooling is the main reason to keep the DSLR design for S3. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 3