rumors SL2 with 36MP sensor only

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody, I got some info from well known french Leica seller. 

SL2 will not sports Q2’s 47MP sensor. But rather an in between pixel count, around 36 or 37.5MP. 

Because SL2 doesn’t need to crop heavily as the fixed lens Q2. You can change optics or just zoom in. 

The idea is to provide a very fast SL2 with just enough more pixels to make sense. But not to much to protect clean high and fast operation. 

Announcement in September 2019  

New body : slightly smaller but way better looking  

Did you get same information from your reseller ? 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

All other rumors wrote about 47 MP, but of course it’s all rumors ...

36 MP could be ok if it had high res mode and ibis. If not then it is “not enough” for the expected price (which is probably more than enough). 36 MP is also quite close to 24 MP, so an update would be quite pointless, while everybody else has 45 to 60 MP.

If the SL2 had less resolution than the Q2 this would look a bit pointless to me. I’d rather have 47 in “slow mode” and half of that in “high speed mode”. (If this is technically possible. Crop mode for example.)

Edited by caissa

Now, that's interesting, especially in light of the complaints of noise at low ISOs for the Q sensor. If the 36MP allows for higher ISOs and greater dynamic range, I'm all in. A 50% increase in MP isn't insignificant. Leave it to Leica to think outside the box.

Edited by Agent M10
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Agent M10 said:

Now, that's interesting, especially in light of the complaints of noise at low ISOs for the Q sensor. If the 36MP allows for higher ISOs and greater dynamic range, I'm all in. A 50% increase in MP isn't insignificant. Leave it to Leica to think outside the box.

+1 I agree especially if it also has IBIS, better DR, faster AF and better ergonomics. 36 would be enough of a bump to allow better room to manoeuvre in post. I am not loving the Q2 files in terms of the amount of time it takes to process ... or maybe I need a new laptop! :)

• Like 4

vor einer Stunde schrieb nicci78:

Hi everybody, I got some info from well known french Leica seller. 

SL2 will not sports Q2’s 47MP sensor. But rather an in between pixel count, around 36 or 37.5MP. 

Because SL2 doesn’t need to crop heavily as the fixed lens Q2. You can change optics or just zoom in. 

The idea is to provide a very fast SL2 with just enough more pixels to make sense. But not to much to protect clean high and fast operation. 

Announcement in September 2019  

Did you get same information from your reseller ? 

If this rumor is correct, it will be interesting to see what a better looking looks like. Something like R8/R9 or S? 

17 minutes ago, msh58 said:

If this rumor is correct, it will be interesting to see what a better looking looks like. Something like R8/R9 or S? 

A Leica exec reported that the SL design team had considered a form factor based on cues from the S, but decided to go in the more modernist direction (‘brutal, like cut from an axe’ as Dr. K has subsequently phrased).  We’ll see if that concept has been resurrected.  

I’d be delighted if the SL2 looked and felt as nice as the X1D/X1Dii.

Jeff

• Like 2

MP on their own wouldn't tempt me to replace my SL, however many they bumped to, and I doubt that Leica would think that was a good move either. So the interest lies in what else comes with this new camera. A hires mode would be of no interest to me: my SL is mostly used for people, who move. Better colour (not that the SL is bad), AF, low light performance and, perhaps, IBIS would be of greater interest. Lighter and smaller perhaps, as long as it still balances the big zooms.

The trouble is, I have had cameras which had obviously desirable improvements: M9 (shutter sound, LCD quality, no LV option), TL2 (no EVF),  CL (needs another button for back-button focus). The SL doesn't come into that category: I'm looking forward see what Leica offers that will tempt me!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Now that's a camera I'd be sorely tempted by! It all depends, of course, on what I see coming out of the camera in photos taken by all you early adapters. So, please, adapt away! 😀

Adapters are good for third party lenses; early adopters serve another role. :)

Jeff

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

Adapters are good for third party lenses; early adopters serve another role. :)

Jeff

Right back at you!😀 But we both can agree, I hope, that a possible smaller form, smaller mps SL will be very interesting.

Even further, some claim that a device can be an adapter or adaptor, but a person can only be an adapter. Fowler's Modern Usage Guide says while such a distinction would be useful, it's not widely observed. They go on to say that the spelling adapter is three times more common for both meanings.

https://writingexplained.org/adapter-vs-adaptor-difference

• Haha 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb grahamhoey:

Any rumours re IBIS from the French retailer as to me that is much more important than MP

IBIS, yes, don't worry.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

I heard no bigger than the SL and gorgeous.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

I hope it's true but Jono and Thorsten Overgaard assumed the SL2 will sport the Q2/S1R sensor modified for M glass and other legacy lenses. Maybe they couldn't get the 47 MPx to play well with legacy glass and they chose a 37.5 MPx sensor instead with much better low light performance and DR than the S1R, killing three birds with one stone, so to say. That would be wonderful. I would get two.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I do not have any more info. It is just a teasing from the reseller.

His message : do not buy S1 or S1R you will regret it ! SL2 is awesome and it is around the corner  

Leica is not afraid at all from Panasonic and Sigma competition. 

• Like 1

The SL (current one) is all about speed, low-light, and "professional-type" use (big battery, near-indestructible shell).

Those characteristics point toward fewer megapixels. If Leica has hit their performance targets with 36MP, that's great. I would have that over a 47MP camera that is slower and noisier.

• Like 5

This is 2019 and competition and L partner are showing way forward for the industry, SL successor need a little bit more than sexy new body, specifically improved innards with IBIS and LENR control, improved AF, robust ISO and DR performance.  As for Mp let’s wait and see.

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 1