Which Leica III to get?

RobM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

48 minutes ago, pico said:

I mention the following for our mildly visually handicapped. I focus with the rangefinder and frame with an optional external  viewfinder. We learn parallax through habit. A IIIG is just fine that way, although I hate the film loading;

Hi pico, how are you? to-day was my first day going out since getting home from my last grueling hospital stay.. Even had a glass of merlot.. L

50 minutes ago, pico said:

A IIIG is just fine that way, although I hate the film loading;

I've had several Barnack's and it's always a pain loading them.  I have found a Nicca Series five, which is an excellent Nikkor copy of a IIIf but has the bliss of a rear door that makes loading film as easy as with an M3.

Pete.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, farnz said:

I've had several Barnack's and it's always a pain loading them.  I have found a Nicca Series five, which is an excellent Nikkor copy of a IIIf but has the bliss of a rear door that makes loading film as easy as with an M3.

Pete.

Yes, the Nicca 5 is good, but also the Tanack IV-S, which is like a IIIf but back-loading with a hinged back, so even easier loading. Also well made.

and... Much better VF (with combined RF) and also hinged back loading and thumb wind-lever are the Canon L-1 and P - but with a larger body of course.

• Like 1

So how do you guys load your Barnacks?

I love my IIIc (f conv) but usually do the "business card" method...in fact a piece of stiff clear plastic.  This is a pain jiggling the film onto the sprockets when the shutter is set to "T" or 'B" with lockable screw release.

I've thought about buying a template to cut film, but is that method fast and positive easy loading?? Also the template, known as the ABLON,  is very expensive and difficult to source.

cheers...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lykaman said:

Hi pico, how are you? to-day was my first day going out since getting home from my last grueling hospital stay.. Even had a glass of merlot.. L

It is going well, and I dearly wish the best for you! Hang in there, partner.

55 minutes ago, david strachan said:

So how do you guys load your Barnacks?

I love my IIIc (f conv) but usually do the "business card" method...in fact a piece of stiff clear plastic.  This is a pain jiggling the film onto the sprockets when the shutter is set to "T" or 'B" with lockable screw release.

I've thought about buying a template to cut film, but is that method fast and positive easy loading?? Also the template, known as the ABLON,  is very expensive and difficult to source.

cheers...

I just cut the film leader with scissors in aprox the right shape. The first one I cut looking at online pictures and counting sprocket holes. I saved that tail and use it for a template. I wouldn't say it's "easy loading" but I've not had to do whatever it is you are talking about with the shutter open. It wiggles down into place fairly easily. I am looking forward to the Tanack IV-S is just ordered, as I find myself picking up my Nikon S2, Canon L1 or my Contax IIa more often, likely due to the film loading.

Edited by Stacey
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Stacey said:

I just cut the film leader with scissors in aprox the right shape. The first one I cut looking at online pictures and counting sprocket holes. I saved that tail and use it for a template. I wouldn't say it's "easy loading" but I've not had to do whatever it is you are talking about with the shutter open. It wiggles down into place fairly easily. I am looking forward to the Tanack IV-S is just ordered, as I find myself picking up my Nikon S2, Canon L1 or my Contax IIa more often, likely due to the film loading.

I have to be honest, whilst a pain in the b**t, the idiosyncrasies of Leica, make it more of an accomplishment when producing the outstanding images we all crave.. L

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, after reading all the comments, I've just bought an "excellent condition, fully working" 1957 IIIg on eBay 🙂 It comes with a cheap lens, an Industar 50 3.5/50mm which is a decent starter lens - Steve Huff enjoyed buying one.

Why the IIIg? I have BIG hands, so it will feel "normal size" to me, and I will appreciate the larger RF. I'll wait to see if I need the VF accessory. I like larger cameras. 

I'm skint now. After turning 60 two weeks ago I've bought a 2nd-hand Leica Q for digital work, and now the IIIg. I'll need to start saving again if I'm to get a decent lens. Back to work...

You heard it here first: No More Leicas! I have enough 🙄

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Like 3

vor 14 Minuten schrieb RobM:

PS You are all to blame! 🙂 

It's our fault? But we certainly have no bad conscience when someone buys a good Leica.

Yes, yes ... you know that googling, look, think, compare, .... until the head buzzes. Very nice IIIg. Good decision. If you think about it ... the viewfinder is big enough for a 35mm lens.

• Like 1

IIIg nice move, very good choice.

Funny I have two IIIg with (really not choosing them for that) also numbering xxx x54.

yours is also with x54 at end 👍

Concerning the film loading, in my use IIIg and one IIIf, no need  trimming film or whatever exotic process ("credit card", "T", etc.).

In their base plate there is a " T pin" to push film in place, so easier to load than older models without this pin.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

IIIg nice move, very good choice.

Funny I have two IIIg with (really not choosing them for that) also numbering xxx x54.

yours is also with x54 at end 👍

Concerning the film loading, in my use IIIg and one IIIf, no need  trimming film or whatever exotic process ("credit card", "T", etc.).

In their base plate there is a " T pin" to push film in place, so easier to load than older models without this pin.

Personally I WOULD still trim the film: far better safe than sorry. When all said and done trimming is highly recommended by very many people -including Leica (see illustration inside the camera!)  - who know!!

Edited by Collieslave
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Best Friends. 1957 IIIg and 2019 M-A. 62 years separate them and yet the basic design of the M-A predates the IIIg. Perhaps the end of two eras?

• Like 2