Which Leica III to get?

RobM

here's my IIIg with original 50mm LTM rigid cron.

BTW, those 90s Japanese cron's (50s & 35s) are gorgeous IMHO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 2

Well, the camera arrived safely, and looked in perfect condition. I watched a video on how to install a roll of film, which I followed to the letter. As it was just a test film, I used a cheap roll. All was going well until the 25th shot, when the film advance just wouldn't do its job. After trying various useless things, I rolled the film out and took it to a one-hour service.

Not one single shot came out. The film is completely blank. 

So, three options arise for this ebay acquisition after I take it to a Leica repair shop in Edinburgh:

1. It was my fault. No problem. I'll learn.

2. There is something wrong with the camera, but they can fix it. I would ask the seller for a partial refund.

3. There is something wrong with the camera, and they can't fix it. I would request a full refund for the return of the camera.

I'm hoping #1 is the correct outcome. 

Dissapointing, though.

Was the rewind knob spinning while you were winding the camera? After I load I always turn the rewind knob until I feel a little tension on the film and then watch to make sure it turns as I am winding. Either the film never advanced or the shutter isn't opening. You should be able to take the lens off and see if the shutter is opening. BTW what speeds were you using?

Your option 1. sounds most likely. As recommended above, after you have loaded the film into the camera, turn the rewind knob clockwise until you feel tension. Then wind on one frame, and watch the rewind knob – which should turn counter-clockwise. This indicates that the film is being moved on and feeding correctly from the cassette. . If the rewind knob does not turn, remove and reload the film – repeat until see that the rewind knob turns as you wind on to the next frame. This protocol applies to M films cameras also. You always need to know that the film is unrolling from the cassette.

2 hours ago, RobM said:

Well, the camera arrived safely, and looked in perfect condition. I watched a video on how to install a roll of film, which I followed to the letter. As it was just a test film, I used a cheap roll. All was going well until the 25th shot, when the film advance just wouldn't do its job. After trying various useless things, I rolled the film out and took it to a one-hour service.

So, three options arise for this ebay acquisition after I take it to a Leica repair shop in Edinburgh:

1. It was my fault. No problem. I'll learn.

2. There is something wrong with the camera, but they can fix it. I would ask the seller for a partial refund.

3. There is something wrong with the camera, and they can't fix it. I would request a full refund for the return of the camera.

I'm hoping #1 is the correct outcome. 

Dissapointing, though.

Your point about the film advance not working after 25 shots would seem to indicate that the film was advancing (was it a 24 or 36 exposure). All points made by others are relevant especially taking the lens off and observing the shutter curtains. Try this with a slow shutter speed as that will be more obvious. As to your No. 3 point, don't worry it can be fixed we are talking Leica here.

Thanks for all the advice. To be honest, I can't remember if the rewind dial was turning. However, I have just tried to insert another film, but the the film advance dial just refuses to budge. Any help with that?

4 hours ago, RobM said:

Are you sure that you remembered to remove the lens cap from your lens before shooting?  No offence intended but it's an easy thing to do especially if you're only used to 'through the lens' cameras.   This would explain blank pictures on a 24-shot film where the film advance works until the 25th shot.

Pete.