Which Leica III to get?

RobM

9 minutes ago, pico said:

If the lens can be removed, can you see the shutter moving when triggering? How about on long exposures perhaps 1/15 or 1/4 second. Is there a gap? We all want to find a solution for you.

I turned the R-A lever back and forth, as suggested earlier, and after about fifteen times managed to get the film advance to move. So, I removed the lens, set a slow speed, and saw the curtain opening.

But now it's stuck again.

4 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Return it. Don’t get others involved in looking at it, just follow eBay procedures.

Buy your next one from a reliable dealer, ideally in person so that you can check it over first.

I'm beginning to think that is a possibility. 

On the other hand, I was expecting to take the camera for a CLA anyway, which would surely solve the problem...

When you move the lever A - R. Does this part raise and lower?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The problem is: a lot of salers think (and say) the camera works if it does anything.
But most of the time, after many years in the showcase, the box, the loft or wherever, it has to become a service.

Your IIIg is very nice. She deserves it! ;)

Yes, that's my feeling. It's in good condition otherwise, and this is surely a simple mechanical problem. My feeling is that I would like to keep it, and get it CLA'd. I really enjoyed shooting with it, and fairly quickly got the two-stage rangefinder/viewfinder technique going, which I had been worried about beforehand. 

So, I've written to the seller saying I'm getting it serviced, and if the problem is not me (and I'm now of a mind that it isn't) them I'll be looking for a partial refund. I'll see what he says.

Thanks for everybody's help and advice!

32 minutes ago, paulmac said:

the lesser know English photographer and explorer WILFRED THEISIGER

Thanks for reminding me about "Wilfred of Arabia's" photographs, Paul, which are wonderful and I enjoyed looking at them again.

He was also known by his (Arab) nickname "Mubarak bin London".

Pete.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, paulmac said:

You seem to have eliminated all the obvious problems.

I cannot emphasise enough though how important it is to check that the film rewind is ROTATING when you load a LTM Leica - you can think that the film is loaded fine BUT the film can ride on sprocket drive between the sprocket holes in the film. The camera will fire and appear to be working fine BUT the film isn't advancing as there is nothing pulling it through the camera.

You seem to have another problem and if you didn't give an OTT amount for the 111G then KEEP IT and get it CLA'd.

The 111G is a very nice LTM but it's going to be around 60yrs old and so a CLA would be prudent anyway and is money very well spent with any purchase.

I bought a dog of a 111F knowing that it was "all over the place" but after a CLA it's a superb camera that is both the quietist and smoothest Leica that I own - same with my 1936 111A a total dog when I bought it but a CLA brought it back to working as new.

To be honest when buying any old Leica then a CLA has to be factored in to the price. The thing is that these old cameras only really get out of adjustment/gummed up etc but don't actually WEAR out and so can easily be brought back into as new operation.

PS: Nothing wrong with EBAY - just do your research and know what you are buying.

I agree. I had problems with film wind on with my IIIg which required a fix. I prefer other LTM models to the g, but I still have wind on problems with my other LTM cameras (I have every type made, apart from the d) from time to time. It is essential to check whether film is winding on before closing the camera. Afterwards the arrow on the rewind knob is a re-assurance that wind on is happening. These issues are not unique to Leicas and can affect other cameras such as the Reid, the 'better built' British Leica which is well made but not always 'better working'. A CLA should always be factored in, particularly if you are going to use an old camera a lot.

William

• Like 4

Cheers, guys. I'll take it for a CLA on Thursday or Friday, and they'll keep it for a week. When ready for uplift, I'll ask for a quick tutorial on film loading. 

Again, thanks for all the comments.

• Like 1

With any film camera you should always take up the slack in the spool using the rewind knob as you load the camera and then check that the knob is turning as you wind on.

as for the original question, a nice black pre-war 111 looks better than any of the later post-war 111c to 111g models, in my opinion.

On 8/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, willeica said:

I agree. I had problems with film wind on with my IIIg which required a fix. I prefer other LTM models to the g, but I still have wind on problems with my other LTM cameras (I have every type made, apart from the d) from time to time. It is essential to check whether film is winding on before closing the camera. Afterwards the arrow on the rewind knob is a re-assurance that wind on is happening. These issues are not unique to Leicas and can affect other cameras such as the Reid, the 'better built' British Leica which is well made but not always 'better working'. A CLA should always be factored in, particularly if you are going to use an old camera a lot.

William

Fully agree with William regarding the CLA as well as preferring the older ones.  For me, that improved finder makes the IIIg a bit too different in size and look from the rest.

Best regards

Just now, tranquilo67 said:

Fully agree with William regarding the CLA as well as preferring the older ones.  For me, that improved finder makes the IIIg a bit too different in size and look from the rest.

Best regards

My IIIg  also had light leaks which had to be fixed in the CLA. My recommendation for a starter in LTM would be a cheap IIIc, in good working order and ignore how it looks.

William

2 hours ago, RobM said:

Thanks for all the comments saying you don't like the IIIg as much as the others 🙄 😀 All that matters is that I like it. And I do. 

If you raise a topic on here you will usually get a large number of negative comments, it is what makes forums tick. My IIIg is the best LTM by a long chalk and all that matters is the fact that you like it.

• Like 2