SL bag

didier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/16/2019 at 3:32 AM, Artin said:

I have an Ona Brixton with the Sl + 24-90 attached  90-280 on opposite side.  14-24 in the center   Charger in one pocket and a SF 58 in the other   But weighs a ton ... and I have a Ona Bowery   Fits the Sl with 24-90 attaches and 3 M lenses laced out in the bottom  it weighs very not so much and works great

Thanks for this suggestion. The Bowery looks like a great option. Looking at their site it’s difficult to appreciate that it will take the  SL2 + 24-90 mounted (I assume with the hood reversed) + 2 or 3 M lenses. 

At the moment I am using an old top load Lowepro zoom case and stuffing one M lens in my coat pocket, which works quite nicely., and is as minimalist as one can be with the 24-90 monster.

I am slightly regretting the 24-90mm purchase since it is so bulky, I just felt I couldn’t justify buying SL2 without one autofocus lens. 

10 hours ago, dem331 said:

Thanks for this suggestion. The Bowery looks like a great option. Looking at their site it’s difficult to appreciate that it will take the  SL2 + 24-90 mounted (I assume with the hood reversed) + 2 or 3 M lenses. 

At the moment I am using an old top load Lowepro zoom case and stuffing one M lens in my coat pocket, which works quite nicely., and is as minimalist as one can be with the 24-90 monster.

I am slightly regretting the 24-90mm purchase since it is so bulky, I just felt I couldn’t justify buying SL2 without one autofocus lens. 

it's heavy but in one lens only you have 3 high quality lenses...

On 11/16/2019 at 3:32 AM, Artin said:

I have an Ona Brixton with the Sl + 24-90 attached  90-280 on opposite side.  14-24 in the center   Charger in one pocket and a SF 58 in the other   But weighs a ton ... and I have a Ona Bowery   Fits the Sl with 24-90 attaches and 3 M lenses laced out in the bottom  it weighs very not so much and works great

Could you please confirm if the SL +24-90mm fits in the Bowery with hood attached? I am about to order it but can´t be absolutely sure it fits with hood. Many thanks.

You need to change your locks now...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

Many thanks Artin for taking the time to post all those pictures.

I actually have the Hadley Small for the M which I love and a 20 year old Billingham Eventer from my old analog SLR system which still looks new, but is too big for everyday use.  It looks like the Hadley Pro fits nicely in between those two and is definitely an option, with the added bonus that my wife might not realise I am carrying a new bag around, and hence I can avoid the question (which I deserve) about when I am going to set up a bag shop.  Now I see the Bowrey, it is a little too tight.  Billingham has also designed an SL bag which is sold out but which I do not particularly like it since for that size I prefer to topload the camera with lens attached.  

I am now looking at the Pro, the S3 (not topload) and the Rucksack 35.  This last could be a good option since I tend to use the bag mostly when I'm in the car or plane or at a cafe/restaurant and not when walking around.

Once again, many thanks.

Enrique

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/7/2019 at 7:31 PM, LBJ2 said:

In case you are interested:  “HANDLE FOR BOULEVARD 11&13”

https://www.oberwerth.com/en/shop/accessories/extra-belts/91/handle-for-boulevard-11-13

Just returned a Boulevard 13. Beautiful leather, but that’s where beauty took a detour. The thin leather causes the bag to cave in upon itself, as it has no supporting infrastructure. The internal lining appears to be attached only at the bag’s outermost rim, so that removal of a divider results in the entire lining exiting as well. I own 2 Oberwerth Munchens and they are fantastic, but the Boulevard, IMO, does not make the grade.

Edited by ron777

When I got my SL2, I tried it in the Billingham M Combination bag that I have (also have a couple of the optional pockets) and the Ona Bowery.

Like @Artin I have gone for a Billingham Hadley Pro, in my case I went for the newer 2020 version, as I wanted the removable shoulder strap.

So far I have got the SL2 with 50mm Summarit 2.4 on Leica M Adapter L in the middle part, with a bulky strap (Rock & Roll)

Each side of the SL2 is a stack of M lenses (24mm Elmar 3.8, 28mm Rokkor-M & 35mm Summarit 2.4 on one side, and 90mm Summarit 2.5 on the other. All have hoods fitted, and each is in an Optech neoprene lens case, so they can't bump into anything in a hurry) 

Various bits inc. Lee Se7enFive filter bits stuffed in front pockets and in between bag and insert. Haven't needed to fit an extra pocket. Yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dem331 said:

Many thanks Artin for taking the time to post all those pictures.

I actually have the Hadley Small for the M which I love and a 20 year old Billingham Eventer from my old analog SLR system which still looks new, but is too big for everyday use.  It looks like the Hadley Pro fits nicely in between those two and is definitely an option, with the added bonus that my wife might not realise I am carrying a new bag around, and hence I can avoid the question (which I deserve) about when I am going to set up a bag shop.  Now I see the Bowrey, it is a little too tight.  Billingham has also designed an SL bag which is sold out but which I do not particularly like it since for that size I prefer to topload the camera with lens attached.  

I am now looking at the Pro, the S3 (not topload) and the Rucksack 35.  This last could be a good option since I tend to use the bag mostly when I'm in the car or plane or at a cafe/restaurant and not when walking around.

Once again, many thanks.

Enrique

The Hadley One is the next size up from the Pro, and incorporates the latest features (now also in the Pro 2020), e.g., trolley strap, better back pocket weather sealing, adjustable strap, padded top handle, etc.  It also has either half or full removable inserts.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Compagnon may also be a brand worth looking into. Their bags/backpacks are of really high quality, also handcrafted in Europe. 
They also don't "scream camera-bag".

I have their "The Backpack 2.0", for the more equipment stuff and the quality is really great! 

They also offer different sizes of their "the messenger", which all have room for the SL. 

Edited by sebas_

22 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I checked all the US representatives listed and none of them carry Fogg bags any longer. UK's Robert White is probably the best bet for ordering them.

I guess Tamarkin was the last.  Dealers I spoke with in the past found them difficult to work with. 

Jeff

On 7/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, NicholasT said:

Totally with you on not using I the side attachment to RRS baseplates. Seems like more trouble and bulk that it's worth. When necessary RRS ball head can accomplish the exact same result.

Perhaps, but I will note that having the full grip with side plate on my M240 a number of years ago saved the camera when I slipped on a rock and went down hitting another rock with the camera making first contact.  The rangefinder got knocked out of whack a bit, but the camera didn't get a scratch thanks to the side plate taking the direct blow. Ever since, I view the RRS grip/L-bracket as something of an insurance policy. Something to consider if you do any clambering about.

Edited by Tailwagger

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

I'm reviving an old thread but I'm wondering if any of you have used the wotancraft ryker M. I'm specifically curious if it can fit an sl2 with a summicron-sl attached and a Q2 at the same time. I have a couple billingham bags and I love them but I would also like to add this wotancraft ryker M to my rotation if it can fit the aforementioned use case.

Here's a link to the bag: https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/ryker-m-black-leather

12 hours ago, cheekz4dayz said:

Hi folks,

I'm reviving an old thread but I'm w ondering if any of you have used the wotancraft ryker M. I'm specifically curious if it can fit an sl2 with a summicron-sl attached and a Q2 at the same time. I have a couple billingham bags and I love them but I would also like to add this wotancraft ryker M to my rotation if it can fit the aforementioned use case.

Here's a link to the bag: https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/ryker-m-black-leather

Don't own it, but seems it would fit, tightly.  The 9th pic in the link shows the SL with 24-90 lengthwise with hood, which is 9 inches. But an SL Summicron and SL2, without hood extended, would be 7 inches long, while the Q2 is about 3 inches in the same orientation.  So, about 10 inches together, not including padding, and specs show the bag length at 10.6 inches (not clear if external or internal, but the structure is not rigid). Likely no room inside for anything else, but that's all a guess.  I would contact the company and ask.

Jeff

• Like 1