Experience with Oberwerth Bags?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 9:04 PM, Farrell Gallery said:

That just screams "rob me".... why not just get a Think Tank bag and skip the fashion show? 

I don't know....maybe I like nice things?   Also, I don't run through life worrying about being robbed and threatened.  

I really don't understand this mindset.  Don't get a nice house, it will get robbed.  Don't buy a nice car, it will get stolen.  Don't wear nice clothes, it will mean there is money in your pocket.  Also, the comment about the "fashion show"??

Now, I do appreciate the comments from the photographer that goes into abandoned buildings.  Smart in certain situations to not draw attention, but that is very specific.  Also, the original poster asked what we thought of the quality of the bag, not how safe it is.

So...great quality bag.  Good leather, good construction.  Lots of options and made in Germany like your camera.  

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, odanrot said:

I don't know....maybe I like nice things?   Also, I don't run through life worrying about being robbed and threatened.  

I really don't understand this mindset.  Don't get a nice house, it will get robbed.  Don't buy a nice car, it will get stolen.  Don't wear nice clothes, it will mean there is money in your pocket.  Also, the comment about the "fashion show"??

Now, I do appreciate the comments from the photographer that goes into abandoned buildings.  Smart in certain situations to not draw attention, but that is very specific.  Also, the original poster asked what we thought of the quality of the bag, not how safe it is.

So...great quality bag.  Good leather, good construction.  Lots of options and made in Germany like your camera.  

+1 on the above.  There is nothing inherently immoral or wrong about having a nice camera, a nice camera bag or anything else. 

Use common sense about security - but don't cower under your bed because some low life thug "might" rob you.  What kind of life is that?

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, odanrot said:

Same photographer....these places are not known to be in prosperous areas. It's not phobia, just what I consider due diligence, and not advertising that hey, I'm carrying an expensive camera in a Gucci bag. A camera left in a bag is useless, IMHO. That's just me. 

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/20/2022 at 8:39 PM, cococard said:

I ended up going the the Louis (M11) bag and it fits the bill as a compact bag that can fit my wallet and keys and extra battery and filters. 

I have a Q3 on order and also been on the hunt for a nice compact bag and looking at Oberwerth (and other brands). 
I was looking at tree Q Bags but was worried they might be a tad bit small as I’d like to carry a couple of extra bits.

I think I will also get the Louis M11 bag as it’s only a fraction bigger and will give me a bit of peace of mind that I have a bit of wiggle room if/when needed

• 5 months later...

For any propective buyers of the SL Medium Oberwerth Hydrolome bag... I will say this. 

The SL Medium is simply stunning. Its soft and smooth leather feel, the solid hardware and flawless craftsmanship aside. This is the most functional camera bag I've owned, for me. 

It comfortably fits my SL2 with 24-90 SL attached plus the  50 SL-Summilux. In addition it can carry my 35mm APO. That's 3 sizeable lenses, plus camera. Add cards, batteries, a couple of filters, plus a small led panel without bulging or being overfilled and inconvenient to access. 

It's form factor is in between a small satchel type bag and a fuller briefcase messenger. It's the goldilocks size, never big and bulky but never too cramped or feeling like I have to sacrifice gear. It is soft to touch yet has a rigidity I've found lacking in similar size bags. Not here, longer lenses dont bend the open mouth of the bag and threaten to tip out. This improves balance, place it down on its metal feet and it never tips over no matter how I pack it. As it's made for the SL gear everything fits comfortably but snug enough to not wobble around.

Outside it's all black apart from some subtle red stitching on the strap making it understated yet refined. It doesn't scream "Expensive camera equipment in here" to the uninitiated. The interior red is welcome compared to my black interior wandrd prvke 31, I can find that dislodged lens cap easier in this deeper bag. (Side note the Wandrd is great for hikes or other situations where you really need a bit more gear)

It is, the perfect camera bag for me. I often won't load it up as much as I could. I rarely need 3 lenses. Your mileage may vary given your equipment. However, if you're like me, you will love this bag.

Edited by jmannix

On 11/10/2022 at 3:38 AM, cococard said:

Hey Everyone!

I'm looking into picking up a new bag for my Q2 and came across the Oberwerth brand.  Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info in the ways of reviews or YouTube videos.

Does anyone here have a bag and care to share any thoughts?

Thanks!

JC

Lovely leather. Weak velcro dividers. Would have preferred weather-proofed better quality zips. I had the Sling and the Q Backpack. I have sold both. Billingham for me (Hadley Digital and Hadley Pro 2020).