SL bag

didier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Agent M10 said:

Recently bought the Oberwerth Boulevard 13, their new light line. Lighter than their William that I had been using for travel. I doubt I'll be buying any more bags after picking up this one. 

Beautiful bag with perfect dimensions, but it has no top handle and I'd rejected it for that reason alone.  Instead, I'd purchased two (2) Munchen.

4 hours ago, ron777 said:

Beautiful bag with perfect dimensions, but it has no top handle and I'd rejected it for that reason alone.  Instead, I'd purchased two (2) Munchen.

I wasn't fond of it not having a top handle, but you get used to it. A top handle would probably require a thicker leather which would increase the weight. 

12 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1190887-REG/sunpak_systembag_01_travelsmart_system_bag.html

I have this one. The top load half space can fit SL attached with 2490 plus a flash, battery and charger, the bottom side load space (originally meant for tripod) can fit 90280. 

Found this quick video...

Bargain for 50 bucks.  But I wonder about protection for lens at bottom.   Maybe lens in padded cloth or case first?

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agent M10 said:

I wasn't fond of it not having a top handle, but you get used to it. A top handle would probably require a thicker leather which would increase the weight. 

Well, top handle or not, it's a beautiful bag and I'm sure it will serve you well.  Based upon my two Munchens, Oberwerth's quality is top notch and all of their products will likely last a long time.  Use it well.

As for the "$50 dollar bargain," I find zippered bags to be a nuisance in the field, and after viewing the video I came away with the impression that the construction is less than rigid.  Given the expensive equipment that we carry in those things, the cost of a well made,  protective and easy to use bag becomes somewhat insignificant.  In addition, I grew weary of the quest for the ultimate, reasonably priced bag.  The Oberwerth bags are costly, but they work and work well The quest is over.

Edited by ron777

5 hours ago, ron777 said:

I wonder if the Munchen can accommodate the SL with 24-90 and the new Lumix S Pro 70-200 (smaller L mount option compared to the 90-280).

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

I wonder if the Munchen can accommodate the SL with 24-90 and the new Lumix S Pro 70-200 (smaller L mount option compared to the 90-280).

Jeff

Actually, I own both of those lenses and they both fit without issue when attached to the S1R, which is minimally larger than the SL.  And placed into the Munchen, there is room to spare.  I'd initially purchased one of the Munchens for an SL that I later sold and replaced with the S1R.

Edited by ron777
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ron777 said:

Actually, I own both of those lenses and they both fit without issue when attached to the S1R, which is minimally larger than the SL.  And placed into the Munchen, there is room to spare.  I'd initially purchased one of the Munchens for an SL that I later sold and replaced with the S1R.

Thanks, so body and both lenses together in bag, regardless of which lens is attached?  And room for miscellaneous accessories?

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Thanks, so body and both lenses together in bag, regardless of which lens is attached?  And room for miscellaneous accessories?

Jeff

I may have misunderstood your original question.  With either lens attached to the SL or S1R the combination fits into the Munchen with room to spare, but there isn't enough room for a second lens of either size.  A smaller lens, like the SL 75mm might be OK, but the Panasonic 70-200 and SL 24-90mm in that same bag isn't going to happen.  If your goal is to carry both, with one or the other attached to your camera, you'll need a different styled bag, perhaps along the lines of one of the large Billingham bags or something similar.  I doubt that even the Oberwerth Porto, their largest bag, would be of sufficient dimensions to accommodate the two lenses together.  

But regardless the chosen bag, those two lenses, together with either the SL or the S1R, would make for a very weighty carry, not something I'd want to contemplate.

Edited by ron777
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Found this quick video...

Bargain for 50 bucks.  But I wonder about protection for lens at bottom.   Maybe lens in padded cloth or case first?

Jeff

You are right, I have always added a protection bottom in any camera bag including backpack and shoulder bag.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ron777 said:

Well, top handle or not, it's a beautiful bag and I'm sure it will serve you well.  Based upon my two Munchens, Oberwerth's quality is top notch and all of their products will likely last a long time.  Use it well.

As for the "$50 dollar bargain," I find zippered bags to be a nuisance in the field, and after viewing the video I came away with the impression that the construction is less than rigid.  Given the expensive equipment that we carry in those things, the cost of a well made,  protective and easy to use bag becomes somewhat insignificant.  In addition, I grew weary of the quest for the ultimate, reasonably priced bag.  The Oberwerth bags are costly, but they work and work well The quest is over.

I had the Leica official bags, they have about the same level of protection like many other brands.  I also had the vintage leather stuffs. Regardless the material, it's the proper padding that protects the photo equipments.  

With today's technology , you' be hard to find any "unsafe" bags from well reputation stores such as B&H.  What important is the right size and comforts to carry, along with the nice looking. 

Any expensive bags you paid are mostly about the outlook.   

Edited by Einst_Stein

2 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I had the Leica official bags, they have about the same level of protection like many other brands.  I also had the vintage leather stuffs. Regardless the material, it's the proper padding that protects the photo equipments.  

With today's technology , you' be hard to find any "unsafe" bags from well reputation stores such as B&H.  What important is the right size and comforts to carry, along with the nice looking. 

Any expensive bags you paid are mostly about the outlook.   

I would have to soundly disagree!

I have a storage room full of camera bags that I have collected over the years, and while I agree that proper fit is a necessary requirement, many of the bags that I have relegated to storage are of flimsy construction, to the extent that the dividers flop around in the case and do little to prevent internal movement.  You might ask why I had purchased them in the first place, and I would respond that they had all been ordered online due to the absence of an accessible reseller.  As for unsafe bags, I have a relatively new, all leather camera bag that while nicely constructed and attractive, has a faulty closure system that pops open at the most inopportune moments, making it unsafe to carry costly gear.  I would consider returning it, but like many of today's bags and a host of other items, the manufacturer is in China.  I'd sent them a registered letter asking how to go about returning the bag and have never received an reply.

So, while "expensive" bags may exude a certain panache, of paramount importance is the accompanying workmanship and resultant quality.

As for the Leica bags, leather or not, I own them as well and they too are gathering dust in the storage room.  Just because the bag is labeled Leica doesn't necessarily equate to quality or function.

Bottom line, buy quality from the onset and the storage room full of junk disappears.

3 hours ago, ron777 said:

I would have to soundly disagree!

I have a storage room full of camera bags that I have collected over the years, and while I agree that proper fit is a necessary requirement, many of the bags that I have relegated to storage are of flimsy construction, to the extent that the dividers flop around in the case and do little to prevent internal movement.  You might ask why I had purchased them in the first place, and I would respond that they had all been ordered online due to the absence of an accessible reseller.  As for unsafe bags, I have a relatively new, all leather camera bag that while nicely constructed and attractive, has a faulty closure system that pops open at the most inopportune moments, making it unsafe to carry costly gear.  I would consider returning it, but like many of today's bags and a host of other items, the manufacturer is in China.  I'd sent them a registered letter asking how to go about returning the bag and have never received an reply.

So, while "expensive" bags may exude a certain panache, of paramount importance is the accompanying workmanship and resultant quality.

As for the Leica bags, leather or not, I own them as well and they too are gathering dust in the storage room.  Just because the bag is labeled Leica doesn't necessarily equate to quality or function.

Bottom line, buy quality from the onset and the storage room full of junk disappears.

I also have Italian made handcrafted gorgeous leather bags, including Ostrich and alligator skin, while they look nice, they are not. mord photo friendly at all.

The better camera bags usually come from the company knowing photography. It takes a good design for functionality, not for fashion. 

If it is made of expensive or heavy material or looks very fashionable, the chances are it is not photo friendly.

Or simply look at the price tag. A high price tag item is more likely to be the wrong choice then the cheaper ones.

If you'er in making your own bag then look into Tenba removable camera insert for about 20-25$ and buy a messenger style bag to fit it. I have owned Tenba bags slim bags using M's for a long time. They are easy to access when out and about. I've bought their inserts and bought messenger bag to created bags to my liking. As photographers we seem to collects bags. 

I have a SL body with few M lenses in my current set up. It could easily hold an SL with 24-90 along with couple other lens and if you wanted or needed a 15" laptop and/or a tablet as well. Just depends on what you want to carry for the day.

The insert is a great idea, but finding the right, appropriately sized messenger bag without the option of examining them first hand in a store is a chore (there are no camera bag carrying stores in my vicinity).  

Tenba bags are sturdy and well made, but a collection of their wrongly sized—for my purposes—bags are decaying in my storage facility.  In any event, my quest is over.  While my solution may have been a costly one, I don't imagine that I will require replacements anytime soon.

I bought my messenger style bag in an outlet mall. My current bag is made by Jack Spade.  Or check a good outdoor store like REI. Transferred the insert from a previous bag to my current setup. Yes, it does require a little research. Tenba makes some great solutions as well like their slim packs. As Roy referred to above. 

1 hour ago, RoySmith said:

The Tenba Cooper 13 DSLR holds my SL, 50mm SL Summilux, 24-90 VE SL, and 16-35 SVE SL perfectly.

Roy

Very impressive bag. I didn't previously associate Tenba with quite as much style and practicality. Looks like they have stepped up their game. 

Also Tenba Cooper 8 looks like a very nice option. Wondering if it will fit the SL with 24-90 and maybe 1 or 2 smaller lens. Really like the compact size.

Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2019 at 9:09 AM, didier said:

Dear all,

will the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L be ok to fit a Leica SL + Lens (Lens : M 50, either summicron apo or Noctilux)

thanks for your sharing your experience 

Didier

Back to the OP’s question, yes, the Peak Design 5L bag will easily accommodate an SL with the 24-90 attached. In fact you could also probably fit a couple batteries, and possibly squeeze some other stuff in as well. I’ve even fit an 11” IPad Pro in the bag’s inside back sleeve. I’ve found the PD 5L bag and ideal way to carry my Leicas, its very discreet and secure with its pickpocket proof zippers stays, wonderful shoulder strap that is quickly adjustable that you can easily tighten to the body, and it’s just overall....a really well designed bag.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RMF
  • Like 1