Experience with Oberwerth Bags?

I love this one for my Q2 with room for some filters. Functional and padded and unattractive 😉  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

There are many reviews scattered across this site for just about any camera bag made.  Some of the more popular brands are Oberwerth , ONA and Billingham.  Just type a name in the search function at the top of this page and you'll be busy for hours reading pros and cons.

I'm a bit partial to Billingham but everyone has their favorites.

13 hours ago, cococard said:

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info in the ways of reviews or YouTube videos.

You just need to type in ‘Oberwerth bags review” into the YouTube search bar to get many videos.

here for instance (this guy has done several reviews)… 

Edited by OThomas

I have an Oberwerth medium Weekender bag and it’s wonderful for traveling; it’s beautifully made, and allows me to carry-on a set of clothes, laptop, tablet, etc.. along with my camera gear hidden underneath in it’s own accessible compartment. There really isn’t any other bag with this level of quality and usefulness on the market. 

Edited by RMF

I purchased the Oberwerth Freiburg after getting my Q.  It holds the camera safely and has room for lenses and accessories.  The quality and build is second to none.  The strap has an interior cut-protector tape.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I have always liked the Freiburg, but ended up with a Fogg Last Waltz instead.

As for a camera bag screaming "rob me," use common sense just as you would when using your $10,000+ Leica M and lens.  If there is a place where there is a very real threat of being robbed - whether its robbed of your Q2 or M or your wristwatch and wallet, there is a little known secret that is 100% effective in thwarting thugs bent on robbery:  Don't go there to begin with.

We're talking basic common sense, not creating warp drive or transporter technology. 😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I have always liked the Freiburg, but ended up with a Fogg Last Waltz instead.

As for a camera bag screaming "rob me," use common sense just as you would when using your $10,000+ Leica M and lens.  If there is a place where there is a very real threat of being robbed - whether its robbed of your Q2 or M or your wristwatch and wallet, there is a little known secret that is 100% effective in thwarting thugs bent on robbery:  Don't go there to begin with.

We're talking basic common sense, not creating warp drive or transporter technology. 😎

I think differently because the places I go are often abandoned buildings, which generally are not in prosperous areas….so that’s why I don’t get flashy. Same thing on the streets. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Farrell Gallery said:

I think differently because the places I go are often abandoned buildings, which generally are not in prosperous areas….so that’s why I don’t get flashy. Same thing on the streets. 

That makes sense.  I don't photograph in abandoned buildings much nowadays. 

Whenever I have done so in the past, I was always in "P3" mode - Properly Prepared for Problems.

• Like 1

My Oberwerth Q bag arrived today. I will say it is beautifully made, although the size of it takes away a lot of the impact. It is small but still takes my Q2 with grip and thumb grip perfectly, with room for two cased ND filters in the front pocket, spare battery and some other bits too. Just what I want.
Perhaps for the price I was mentally expecting something bigger, however. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Today I carried my Q2 in my Filson Small Field Bag:  https://www.filson.com/bags-luggage/rugged-twill-small-field-bag.html#sku=11070230-fco-000971914  It's an excellent bag for one Q or M camera, one lens and a spare battery.

This bag doesn't announce to the world that there is a costly camera inside and it is very well made.  The prices on this and much of Filson's gear are a travesty these days - but that's what happens after a corporate buyout.

@beauport  Your photos above are making me re-want an Oberwerth Freiburg.  If I end up buying one, I'm blaming you for it! 

For the grumpy old men out there waiting to strike:  Yes, I know this is an old thread.  So what?? 😊

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

I'm a huge fan of unobtrusive bags.  L like the Domke range as well as Filson and some Billingham.

The issue (IMO) with the nice leather designer type bags is they will be target for thieves.  Your nice expensive Leica may be out of sight in the bag, but an obviously expensive leather bag is in itself going to be a target.

Edited by bobtodrick

On 11/15/2022 at 4:48 PM, Herr Barnack said:

That makes sense.  I don't photograph in abandoned buildings much nowadays. 

Whenever I have done so in the past, I was always in "P3" mode - Properly Prepared for Problems.

My son and I both like to photograph in abandoned buildings.  He’s young…his camera is a Nikon F2 with the MD-2 drive on a sturdy strap…total weight about 42lbs 😂

When he starts swinging that no one is safe!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2