Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

oh dear ...... these forum discussions always seem to get bogged down with the views of users who have VERY specific photographic needs.

plenty of other manufacturers will supply cameras with 30 screens of menus, several dozen buttons and multiple extra little-used features to keep the minorities happy.

this is not, and never likely to be Leica's philosophy.  :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 5

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

oh dear ...... these forum discussions always seem to get bogged down with the views of users who have VERY specific photographic needs.

plenty of other manufacturers will supply cameras with 30 pages of menus, several dozen buttons and multiple extra little-used features to keep the minorities happy.

Ive never really undrestod why people read the manual or even the menu.................when we have very user friendly moderatorts and members to feed of of.

Example

Im taking my Leica S007 to japan and I want to use my Black rabbit strap with it...............I posted the question about how it will all fit togethjer and Gordon came back with Neil do XYZ...........Job done :) :)

Neil

Ive never really undrestod why people read the manual or even the menu.................when we have very user friendly moderatorts and members to feed of of.

But if nobody is reading the manual, who are then supposed to feed the non-readers with info? Just wondering...

• Like 1

Example

Im taking my Leica S007 to japan and I want to use my Black rabbit strap with it...............I posted the question about how it will all fit togethjer and Gordon came back with Neil do XYZ...........Job done :) :)

Neil

It all makes sense now. I don’t think it was clear before whether the three books you read included any user manuals :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

But if nobody is reading the manual, who are then supposed to feed the non-readers with info? Just wondering...

Let the reeders reed the manuals

It all makes sense now. I don’t think it was clear before whether the three books you read included any user manuals :)

I tried the two that I bought from Books direct in the UK but the ackollagments at the begin pissed me off so I quite

Neil

• Like 1

Well, you could say that Leica's strife for optimal image quality is catered for at slow shutter speeds by the provision of a tripod bush. ;)

You might consider my post # 455 that IS, IBIS, powerO.I.S. and dual IS are systems that are meant to be able to get [high-quality] shots that were not possible otherwise.

Thus an extension of the technique of the photographer, not an enhancement of the image quality provided by the sensor, electronics, lens quality, etc.

But as I said also, a moot distinction, not relevant for the end result.

Oh dear, how to respond?

Slow shutter speeds, the tripod collar and the IBIS are all part of the equation when the goal is keeping grain/noise to a minimum, selecting the optimum shutter speed and aperture and getting the photo.

Should have used a tripod?  Is a Series 5 Gitzo tripod enough?  Stabilization isn't a crutch for photographer laziness when manually focussing a 280mm lens because the AF was fooled by foreground weeds, it's the difference between being able to see a magnified image well enough to focus and the magnified image being too jittery to see the difference between focussed and not focussed (on the tripod).

Perhaps you've seen my photos?  I shun bright sunlight whenever possible.  I seek fog, overcast and twilight.  Shutter speeds in the double digits with a 280mm or 500mm lens are common and the Gitzo isn't locked down because my subjects constantly move.

Should have used flash?  You've got to be joking.  My subject is as much the light falling on the animal as much as it is the animal itself.

I loved the SL's image quality when all its ducks lined up in a row but the image quality suffers when they don't.  The other camera I'm using (do I dare say its name?) doesn't quite have the same gorgeous colors as the SL but its ducks line up on command largely due to the sensor stabilization.  BTW it is claimed that optical stabilization can do weird things to the bokeh and while I haven't done any rigorous testing to confirm or refute this claim this would explain some of the weirdness I saw when using the 90-280 APO with its optical stabilization enabled.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil, How do you keep up to date with H&S regulations on the oil rigs if you don't read same? 

dunk 

Dunk

Theres a difference between reading what I have to read and what I care to read...............we also have HES reps on the rig to talke care of that side of the business

Neil

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Oh dear, how to respond?

Slow shutter speeds, the tripod collar and the IBIS are all part of the equation when the goal is keeping grain/noise to a minimum, selecting the optimum shutter speed and aperture and getting the photo.

Should have used a tripod?  Is a Series 5 Gitzo tripod enough?  Stabilization isn't a crutch for photographer laziness when manually focussing a 280mm lens because the AF was fooled by foreground weeds, it's the difference between being able to see a magnified image well enough to focus and the magnified image being too jittery to see the difference between focussed and not focussed (on the tripod).

Perhaps you've seen my photos?  I shun bright sunlight whenever possible.  I seek fog, overcast and twilight.  Shutter speeds in the double digits are common and the Gitzo isn't locked down because my subjects constantly move.

Should have used flash?  You've got to be joking.

I would have thought that the hole idea of having a small compact camera like a M10/TL2/Cloony is to shoot on the fly without lugging a tripod around. If you want to shoot with a tripod then use a SL or a S or a DSLR......................not a dinky little M or TL2

Neil

• Like 1

plenty of other manufacturers will supply cameras with 30 screens of menus, several dozen buttons and multiple extra little-used features to keep the minorities happy.

Totally agree.

I find when I have had such cameras, I spend too much time fiddling with the buttons, scratching my head in confusion, missing taking shots! So far Leica has avoided that kind of mess. We can hope continues on that philosophy and doesn’t give into mass consumers who want the camera to do it all for them. And, what is the fun in that really?

• Like 3

.. BTW it is claimed that optical stabilization can do weird things to the bokeh and while I haven't done any rigorous testing to confirm or refute this claim this would explain some of the weirdness I saw when using the 90-280 APO with its optical stabilization enabled.

According to my friend optical stabilisation effects are not obvious to him because bokeh covers it up. He was a sports shooter, retired.

On the other hand regarding optical stabilisation, his complaints were about fragility of these systems particularly if the system is shut down when you need to redeploy and run with the camera and lens.

I think and hope this is no longer the case with the more modern lenses.

I haven't seen anything weird with the 24-90 so it's good so far. I didn't think I needed it in this range but I don't think I can live without it now  ;)

Edited by lx1713

The Leica SL is a (to Leica's standards) feature rich and customizable camera but it remains a very easy to use camera.

I don't see why the two necessarily have to be contradictory although I agree with you they often are.  

I had never used OIS before the Leica SL and I certainly did not ask for it in the 24-90mm but now that I have it I would not want to miss it anymore...

I am pretty sure I would feel the same about IBIS.  

It should be less expensive.

The electronic components are not so expensive. The TL2 has an expensive body, touch-sensitive screen and sophisticated interface. 

The question is how good the viewfinder is. I bet for 3,68 MP and a higher refresh rate than the Leica Q. 

Here we have more leaked pictures of this beautiful camera:

Potato_main.jpg

Also in black:

potato2.jpg

Haha genius!

Oh dear, how to respond?

Perhaps you've seen my photos?  I shun bright sunlight whenever possible.  I seek fog, overcast and twilight.  Shutter speeds in the double digits with a 280mm or 500mm lens are common and the Gitzo isn't locked down because my subjects constantly move.

Should have used flash?  You've got to be joking.  My subject is as much the light falling on the animal as much as it is the animal itself.

I loved the SL's image quality when all its ducks lined up in a row but the image quality suffers when they don't.  The other camera I'm using (do I dare say its name?) doesn't quite have the same gorgeous colors as the SL but its ducks line up on command largely due to the sensor stabilization.  BTW it is claimed that optical stabilization can do weird things to the bokeh and while I haven't done any rigorous testing to confirm or refute this claim this would explain some of the weirdness I saw when using the 90-280 APO with its optical stabilization enabled.

I really don't think you got my point. I don't quite see how this is in contradiction to my posts... I never said you should have used flash... I was trying to explain that things like stabilisation are extensions of the technique of the photographer and liberate one of the use of flash and tripods, but are not a part of the image quality that the camera can produce. (but are part of the image quality that the photographer can produce, without doubt.)

The problem of the XY is not the uglyness of the top plate...

... but the digital interface at the back, which is the past. The same goes for the M camera. The modal buttons and the four arrows wheel is an absurd interface. It was OK at the start of the digital revolution in photography, but now it looks old. During the last 10 years we have seen a revolution in the interfaces, now based on touch sensitive screens (for the control of "computer-like" functions: working with a menu). The Blackberry/Apple lesson, or the iPhone X vs previous iPhones. The physical controls are being reduced to a minimum: only for control of physical parameters (on/off, etc.).

Those specific physical buttons and controls for working with a menu in the XY or M camera is... the Middle Ages in terms of interface design. And Leica has a T camera with a modern design: the TL camera. The XY camera is a step back. The M has to go towards the TL standards not the other way.

• Like 2

[...] During the last 10 years we have seen a revolution in the interfaces, now based on touch sensitive screens [...]

Never understood how to operate those things w/o having improbable fingers around the nose. Some shooters are not chimpers and will never be. There will always be cameras for those "old" guys hopefully.