Summilux 35AA coding

lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the verge of acquiring a Summilux 35/1.4 aspherical (11873 "double A").
Still unsure given the price of the beast but do you know its 6-bit code if any?
The lens has its own profile in the M11 menu so i wonder if it has the same code as the asph or the FLE.
Any idea?

1 minute ago, fil-m said:

It can't be coded, it does not have a unique 6-bit code. So you have to pick its "35/1.4 ASPH 11873" profile from the menu manually and that will do it IMO. 

Yes i suspect it too thank you but i don't like manual lens detection. May i ask how you know that there is no 6-bit code for this lens? just curious.

Posted (edited)

Same here, I often forget setting the lens profile or use the wrong one when switching to an uncoded lens... no comment :) 

I've never seen a coded AA and none of the 6-bit code lists I've seen include it. There are enough codes in a 6 bit list to distinguish 63 unique lens types and more than 40 are already assigned (including all "recent" models after 2006), leaving little room to cover new lens models over the next few years.

The AA was a very short production run so I guess Leica wouldn't sacrifice one entry for this specific model.

Same for the Cron 35 8e, and that one does not even have a "menu" profile. 

NB: the closest match if you still want to code it is quite obviously the PRE-FLE 11874 (here and this list is not even exhaustive as recent models are not included). Despite the fact that the pre-fle 11874 is the nearest match, I wouldn't recommend coding an AA as it is a quite rare collector item (in addition to its beautiful and unique rendering) so doing that might negatively impact its value. my opinion anyway.  

Edited by fil-m
  • Thanks 1

Thank you folks but having to juggle with menus is decidedly too painful for me so i think i will pass on this one. I'm going to console myself by buying a Nokton 35/1.5 asph that interests me. I'll hand-code it as PRE-FLE 11874 to ditinguish it from my FLE v1.

If Leica would do a reissue they would create a code and likely firmware for the M11. You could gamble on that possibility and buy an AA now... (odds are not favorable)

47 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

If Leica would do a reissue they would create a code and likely firmware for the M11. You could gamble on that possibility and buy an AA now... (odds are not favorable)

The reissue would be less expensive i suspect. Now i could be tempted to acquire a codable flange and keep the uncoded one for if i resell the lens.... Unsure my GAS is strong enough for that 🙄

Assuming the AA is your only uncoded lens, then each time you plug it, your M should automatically -kind of- recognise it: it will switch to the default profile of the uncoded lens, in that case the AA's. This works at least on the M11. Obviously in case you have more than one uncoded lens, you'll have to make sure you select the right profile.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fil-m said:

Assuming the AA is your only uncoded lens, then each time you plug it, your M should automatically -kind of- recognise it: it will switch to the default profile of the uncoded lens, in that case the AA's. [...]

Thank you but i use too many uncoded lenses actually. Each time i mount, say, a 35, the camera believes it is a 50, a 135 or vice versa. A bit of AI would be welcome in the M12 or M13.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/9/2024 at 4:16 PM, lct said:

Thank you but i use too many uncoded lenses actually. Each time i mount, say, a 35, the camera believes it is a 50, a 135 or vice versa. A bit of AI would be welcome in the M12 or M13.

I know the feeling...

What's worked for me is to make it part of the routine: unmount previous lens, re-attach caps, remove caps from new lens, mount lens, power on camera, check code.

FWIW, I use the ASPH pre-FLE's code for the AA.