Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When the SL was launched there were also a lot of people bitching about how ugly it was... I like the SL and I like the new camera as well, nothing wrong with it from a design point of view IMO...

• Like 1

Once we line up the TL2 with the new camera, there is sufficient difference to drive sales of both.  If it doesn't, I will happily keep using my TL2 ...

I tend to disagree on this one.  Long term perhaps, short term no.

If the EVF and the AF is good and the price not too crazy it will dwarf TL2 sales.

Additionally if the new camera has fabulous AF and the TL2 not, why is that?  Did Leica already stop investing in the TL2?

IMO Leica does not really know where to go with the TL-line.  It is a striking design but it is also completely locked in that design.  Without fundamentally changing the design it might not be so easy to improve the camera significantly.

I think it will be priced between 1.5 to 2 times more than the TL2 for the viewfinder, body stabilisation and retro styling. Pure speculation though

Twice as much would be more than the Sony A7riii which is FF and has almost double the resolution.  Would probably be commercial suicide IMO...

should have just called this new one the TL3.

I tend to disagree on this one.  Long term perhaps, short term no.

If the EVF and the AF is good and the price not too crazy it will dwarf TL2 sales.

Additionally if the new camera has fabulous AF and the TL2 not, why is that?  Did Leica already stop investing in the TL2?

IMO Leica does not really know where to go with the TL-line.  It is a striking design but it is also completely locked in that design.  Without fundamentally changing the design it might not be so easy to improve the camera significantly.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

When the SL was launched there were also a lot of people bitching about how ugly it was... I like the SL and I like the new camera as well, nothing wrong with it from a design point of view IMO...

John

I agree with you that the form of the proposed new camera is very nice looking and also agree that the SL is not.................It will be interesting to see what the files are like compared to the M10/TL2 and SL.

All in all I think that this is going to be a nice camera for all of those that are happy with M10/TL2 and SL like  IQ..........especially as it has (Well I assume it has AF) and a nicely built in EVF

Personally I will wait for a change in the S series range before investing any more in Leica.........after shooting with the S007 for a year now anything else that I have tried just doesn't tick all the boxes (even the XID............that was a complete disappointment that one)

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The good thing IMO is that Leica is showing a lot of commitment to APS-C with 3 bodies (TL, TL2 and the new one) in slightly over a year.  

They must see opportunities for APS-C and the TL lens line-up.

I think they are just trying to find something now that commercially sticks...

Why do you say that? Sure, it's locked into its design, but so is the M10 - neither are universal camera bodies. The touch interface, the absence of built-in EVF and the mutual incompatibility of flash and EVF just mean a different way of working. 

As far as I'm concerned the main defect of the TL2 is its AF, which doesn't seem related to its basic design. The absence of an EVF is Leica's design choice which keeps the form factor small and neat. Clooney looks like it will be a bit larger, probably heavier, and more lumpy. If the only other difference is an EVF then I will be happy with my TL2. If Clooney's AF is significantly better as well - up with the SL, say - I will be annoyed: the two are close enough in time for the TL2 to have benefitted from the same improvements. I'm still not interested in Clooney, from what we know of it, simply because it's APS-C. I'll wait for the full frame version.

OTOH, Leica may be preparing to astonish us (who says the pictures released as part of a regulatory submission are anything to do with 22nd November?)

• Like 2

I think it will be priced between 1.5 to 2 times more than the TL2 for the viewfinder, body stabilisation and retro styling. Pure speculation though

For that reason I do believe there will be reason for both cameras to coexist

not sure why Leica would include the complexity of in-body stabilisation when it is meant for T & SL lenses which already have it (in those that need it).

they have never been very interested in 3rd party compatibility. we may be surprised ...... but I doubt it ....

not sure why Leica would include the complexity of in-body stabilisation when it is meant for T & SL lenses which already have it (in those that need it).

they have never been very interested in 3rd party compatibility. we may be surprised ...... but I doubt it ....

I also doubt that it will happen but the TL lenses themselves would benefit a lot from IBIS as well.

It would be really beneficial for the 55-135 and the zooms are too often too slow for indoors usage, a gain of 3 stops would be huge there IMO.

• Like 3

For that reason I do believe there will be reason for both cameras to coexist

It should be less expensive.

The electronic components are not so expensive. The TL2 has an expensive body, touch-sensitive screen and sophisticated interface. 

The question is how good the viewfinder is. I bet for 3,68 MP and a higher refresh rate than the Leica Q. 

Here we have more leaked pictures of this beautiful camera:

Potato_main.jpg

Also in black:

potato2.jpg

• Like 14

The 280mm APO R on a cropped, ibis-stabilised Leica body is certainly interesting.

• Like 2

It should be less expensive.

The electronic components are not so expensive. The TL2 has an expensive body, touch-sensitive screen and sophisticated interface.

The question is how good the viewfinder is. I bet for 3,68 MP and a higher refresh rate than the Leica Q.

Here we have more leaked pictures of this beautiful camera:

Yes, bio-dynamic sensors represent a disruptive change of the industry, on par with the Kodak Brownie in year 1900.

Those that are in, will survive. Those sleeping, will join Kodak anno 2012.

Leica seems to be on the correct path. But my fiancee miss the pink coloured bio-sensor. Do you listen, Leica?

IBIS in coordination with optical stabilization adds more dimensions to stabilization.  Optical stabilization cannot compensate for rotation along the axis of the lens, for example.

The 280mm APO R on a cropped, ibis-stabilised Leica body is certainly interesting.

It's certainly interesting on a non-Leica full-frame body with IBIS:

anhumm38.jpg

• Like 4

Alright, I have no speculations to add but (equally senseless) what I would LIKE to see is a body similar in weight closer to the X (not T), APS-H sensor (not -C), L-mount and to top it a version with monochrom sensor (; ... basically a monochrom b/w camera when the MM is to heavy and fragile. I know, I know, it will not happen.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Why do you say that? Sure, it's locked into its design, but so is the M10 - neither are universal camera bodies. The touch interface, the absence of built-in EVF and the mutual incompatibility of flash and EVF just mean a different way of working. 

As far as I'm concerned the main defect of the TL2 is its AF, which doesn't seem related to its basic design. The absence of an EVF is Leica's design choice which keeps the form factor small and neat. Clooney looks like it will be a bit larger, probably heavier, and more lumpy. If the only other difference is an EVF then I will be happy with my TL2. If Clooney's AF is significantly better as well - up with the SL, say - I will be annoyed: the two are close enough in time for the TL2 to have benefitted from the same improvements. I'm still not interested in Clooney, from what we know of it, simply because it's APS-C. I'll wait for the full frame version.

OTOH, Leica may be preparing to astonish us (who says the pictures released as part of a regulatory submission are anything to do with 22nd November?)

Paul

Surly but not sure if you know what I mean.............if the Clowy has faster AF then surley but not sure Leica should be able to fix the TL2 with an firmwhere update

Neil

Paul

Surly but not sure if you know what I mean.............if the Clowy has faster AF then surley but not sure Leica should be able to fix the TL2 with an firmwhere update

Neil

Yes, that would be my preferred outcome. TL2 with AF like the SL. I have the M240 and SL for when I want a bigger camera, but I'd like a fast AF small TL2 for casual use and social stuff. I find I can live without the EVF for such scenarios.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2