New Leica SL Lenses & Roadmap!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really? Do you mean that with a R lens (ROM?) turning the focus ring will bring in the magnifier in SL's EVF without tapping any button?

Yes. It was a total but pleasant surprise to me as well when it happened or so I thought. At the time, a few days ago I then went and tried it on my SL to see if it if auto-zoomed on that, which it didn't and went back to the CL to confirm it was auto-zooming, which it was. Can I get it to work this morning - no. I have tried various settings and it refuses to auto-zoom. It is also not showing up the lens as a choose option on the back screen on mounting, which it did a few days ago but is showing the lens selection correctly in the menu. There seems to be some odd and inconsistent communication with the ROM chip on my lens. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I don’t make a living with photography, just enjoy it. I didn’t mention I also have been a canon shooter for about 15 years. I also have a large investment in canon gear but have never had an issue. I have had to send in my m8 and m9, and now my SL for repair. So, that is my point of reference with my quality comment.

50mm SL 1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Yes. It was a total but pleasant surprise to me as well when it happened or so I thought. At the time, a few days ago I then went and tried it on my SL to see if it if auto-zoomed on that, which it didn't and went back to the CL to confirm it was auto-zooming, which it was. Can I get it to work this morning - no. I have tried various settings and it refuses to auto-zoom. It is also not showing up the lens as a choose option on the back screen on mounting, which it did a few days ago but is showing the lens selection correctly in the menu. There seems to be some odd and inconsistent communication with the ROM chip on my lens. 

Wilson

Perhaps it was a feature deleted in newer FWs, or maybe you have just some dust on the contact stripe... try again with another lens.

However, I wonder how the camera could know about the focusing position on a R lens... I didn't know ROM contacts will pass a distance information to the camera.

Look if making some noise here filters back to Leica, I think that's a positive, and the objective.

Engaging with your customers and keeping them apprised of when dates shift is important in any industry.  

Personally, I'm hoping they ship something in Q1 that I can purchase, as of late I've been putting my money into non-Leica primes I can adapt to SL.

I've been waiting on them to ship ANY AF lens that's lighter than the 24-90... since the day they released it.

The 16-35 or 35 spots are still open in my lens bag.

The 75/90 are of less interest as I've filled in with a Zeiss C/Y 85mm after waiting most of the year.

That said if the things ever ship, I may eventually "upgrade" off of the Zeiss to get the AF, but only after I square away all my focal lengths.

No news is usually bad news.

The longer they drag it out, the more spots in my lens lineup fill with used/3rd party lenses... I know I'm not alone in this.

Last week I was checking out at the grocery, and the woman in front of me kept peeking at the Contax Zeiss C/Y 85 on my SL.

Finally she asked and we got talking.

She shoots an SL professionally and told me about all the Voigtlander / Leica R / etc lenses she uses on the SL and how it's such a flexible platform.  

The only native lens she owns is the 24-90, and didn't mention any Leica M lenses.

I walked away contemplating the Voigtlander 21/1.8 from her recommendation, and she contemplating the Contax Zeiss 85 on my recommendation.

Great to have such a neighbourhood. I feel rather alone in my area.

The Contax 1.4 85 is a very nice little lens and very reasonable - maybe the 1.2 85 is still a bit more desirable. But also the R 1.4 80 is very nice - though minimally shorter, which is no fault. The CV 1.8/21 is ok - small but optically not "great". The Contax 2.8 21 planar is a different league - on par with the 1.4 85, maybe even better (but also larger).

The Contax often are clearly better than the CV.

Try one of the Contax zooms, it is amazing how good they are (regarding their age and current price).

Edited by caissa

Perhaps it was a feature deleted in newer FWs, or maybe you have just some dust on the contact stripe... try again with another lens.

However, I wonder how the camera could know about the focusing position on a R lens... I didn't know ROM contacts will pass a distance information to the camera.

Unfortunately I only have the one ROM R lens. My other R lens is a tilt shift with no ROM. I will clean the contacts. I am beginning to wonder if I imagined it or was it the way I was holding the camera moving the right hand wheel as I focused. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Summicrons are quite a bit smaller. Steffen Skopp’s Instagram page shows a few of them in real world shots. https://www.instagram.com/p/BSoDnEoAXvo/

I am also on the fence in regard to the 16-35. The not so wide end and overlap with the 24-90 is my concern. I would have preferred a 10-24 f/4 or 14-24 f/4. I enjoyed the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 when I owned it.

SL 16-35 plus SL 90-280 will be a very practical pair. Maybe aided by a SL 2/75 or SL 1.4/50 or even SL 2/90.

This will give me a very nice range - without the 24-90 that is not my favorite.

Unless on special mission, I never need anything below 16mm.

And for special missions the CV are quite useful (10, 12, 15).

A wider zoom (14-24 or even 11-24) would make a very fat lens again - much fatter than the expected 16-35. And probably even more expensive (too excesssive for such rare use).

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

For me personally not (yet).  The Leica SL together with the 24-90 is an extremely versatile, easy to use and fast combination. 

The TL 18-56 is not as good optically, slower, does not have OIS and covers slightly less (focal length wise).

If Leica were to release a faster TL 16-56 with OIS then I would pay close attention...

The MTFs look great, but I have the impression the TL lenses are a far cry from the SL lenses. After all the MTF is just spanning about half the area.

So I am afraid no TL lens can be a "full" equivalent.

Edited by caissa

I not only have the SL but also had the two zooms. I have now sold the 90-280 because its bulk and weight made it far from enjoyable for me to use, no matter how good it was. I will stick with the SL to use the stunning 24-90 but I don't now see me buying any more SL/AF lenses. I have plenty of other Leica and Zeiss MF lenses I can use on it. Luckily I failed to sell my 80-200R so I can use that both on the SL and CL. I invested in an R to T adapter, rather than using stacked R to M and M to T adapters, as the R to T provides auto-zoom on focus, which the stacked adapters don't. So far the image quality of the CL has surpassed expectations particularly for high ISO low noise. I rather feel Leica may have shot themselves in their SL foot with the excellent, lighter and cheaper CL, for which I have the 18-56 as part of the kit and 11-23 on order (must chase that up tomorrow, as I want it for a trip in two weeks time). 

Wilson

The 80-200 is one of my old favorites, but upon closer inspection it is a class below the 90-280 - unfortunately. Like the old 35-70 is inferior to the SL 24-90.

The 90-280 is so impeccable, I would never give it up - rather use a tripod if the constant use is too strenuous.

The SL 24-90 is ok (very ok actually), but not sooo special - while the 90-280 is really THE SPECIAL lens that comes with the SL. OK, the weight is terrible, but normal and the constant length make it quite comfortably usable.

Ideal would be a Fresnel construction (as in the Nikon 300 - this would maybe result in a lighter 90-280 (if ever doable)).

I truly appreciate the AF full frame capability Leica has made available through the SL System. I can also experience the full potential of the SL camera with both Native zooms. I do not acquire the SL50LUX as I’m not much a 50mm user rather preferring the 35mm instead. Despite that, I have found the 24-90VE truly versatile and performs no less than prime only lacking in shallow DOF associated with prime lenses. Yes, I am disappointed with Leica’s slow and missed deadline on releasing the SL70/90mm. However I suspect the delay in releasing new SL lenses has to do with how well the current SL bodied and lenses are selling. I clearly sense many in this forum are non SL native lens users by the fact of the amount of pleasures & pains raised on SL’s AF & SL lenses. Rather after 2 years of SL release, I still complains on weight and size complain of SL lenses. Just go Micro 43s if you desire compactness, go medium format if you desire higher resolution sensor. It just will not happen with compact AF lenses and higher resolution sensor (for now) in the SL system. Rather Leica should provide a solution to wireless trigger for TTL-HSS flash support on SL system if it claims to be a Pro system camera.

If someone complains about the weight, then often it means that he stays with the system (the SL). So I am not worried about complaints.

I am currently surprised that Leica has more or less completed the cheaper TL/CL line with a good selection of lenses. And just wonder why it is (see marketing also) not more interesting to complete first the bigger line (the SL lenses).

I wonder how many CL they sell - but whatever they say about Barnack would choose the CL if asked today - this is just BS for me - the CL is not a successor of the old Leicas. Maybe a few years ago, when there was no FF sensors available and APS-C or DX had the full market.

I have a huge collection of high class FF lenses - why should I ever be interested in APS-C ? (Only as a temporary 1.5 extender, maybe).

I checked today in Flickr what has been posted in the last few months under the name of Leica SL. And I was pleasently surprised - much better than a year ago.

While when checking TL or CL results, I am mainly underwhelmed - even Jonos site is not as inspriring for me as usually. I leave it open if this is a sort of mental block (in my head), or whatever.

One remark made me think: Jono suggested the sensor is the "same" Sony sensor giving great results in so many cases. But for me this is simply not true. I dislike the colors of the Sony sensor - and for me it could be an easy explanation why CL/SL are not so great for me.

To silbeers15: Have you had a look a Priolite ? They offer - since last April - everything you need for pro flash support: A dedicated Leica emitter which offers with their high end equipment up to 1/8000 s. And the setup is straightforward and easy. I have the impression it offers anything (I) needed - but maybe I am wrong.

Look for priolite for leica: http://priolite.lighting/control-a-hot-sync-leica/

I do not expect Leica to offer soon anything equivalent/better or at better prices.

Edited by caissa

To silbeers15: Have you had a look a Priolite ? They offer - since last April - everything you need for pro flash support: A dedicated Leica emitter which offers with their high end equipment up to 1/8000 s. And the setup is straightforward and easy. I have the impression it offers anything (I) needed - but maybe I am wrong.

I do not expect Leica to offer soon anything equivalent/better or at better prices.

Thank you for replying. No. No Strobes for me as I am not a working pro who gets a team to set up lighting half a day before I step in to shoot. In the offering today, wirelessly controlled speedlites with strobe performance such as the Profoto A1 is the way to go. Besides Prolite only offers HSS and not TTL dedicated system available on Leica platform. And no way I’m buying a donkey to ferry lights for me.

• Like 1

Thank you for replying. No. No Strobes for me as I am not a working pro who gets a team to set up lighting half a day before I step in to shoot. In the offering today, wirelessly controlled speedlites with strobe performance such as the Profoto A1 is the way to go. Besides Prolite only offers HSS and not TTL dedicated system available on Leica platform. And no way I’m buying a donkey to ferry lights for me.

Even a pro will seriously consider a set of Profoto A1s as the workhorses that does the daily work. Particularly one using a Leica if there's A1 that's TTL Leica.

Hi there,

Do you know if this will work with Nikon speedlight SB-800? I only just started looking for a remote trigger to fire the SB-800 from my SL. Is that even possible?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this is traditionally the time of the year to look forward...:

Four lenses are coming. Yes, they are delayed compared to the original schedule, but they are coming. Not tomorrow, likely ;), but sometime during the Leica-definition of spring 2018. This is fine with me. The lenses are coming. And they will likely be very fine, optically. (Personally, I am very happy with the 24-90 and 90-280 combo; the former has turned out to be my most-used lens on the SL by far.)

But which lenses are on top of the drawing table? Macro(s)? TS(s)? Longer focal length(s)? WA prime(s)? Smaller/less weight prime(s)/zoom(s)?

Can we expect 1.4x, 1.7x and/or 2.0x converter(s)?

Adapter(s) for using Canon/Nikon electronic lenses? (possibly not, since Novoflex have their adapters).

And what about SL v2? I would expect S008 (or whatever name) to be announced in 2018, possibly being available in the shops by the end of the year; and to SL follow thereafter; so announcement in 2019?

As a side note - I am possibly most curious about Leica's updated S-line, given what's happening in that segment (Hasselblad, Fuji, etc.). In addition, if future developments follow past experience - then bits and pieces from the new S can be expected to be transferred to SL v2 and possibly to the CL- and T-systems, as well.

Hi there,

Do you know if this will work with Nikon speedlight SB-800? I only just started looking for a remote trigger to fire the SB-800 from my SL. Is that even possible?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it will work with other equipment, but only up to 1/200 s if this is all you need.

But I cannot test and verify this. Maybe if you contact priolite. ...

even if it is the same Sony sensor..

the SL/CL/TL don't have a Sony processor..

they use a maestro processor..which is "processing" the raw data from the sensor..and creating a DNG+jpg..among other things.

One remark made me think: Jono suggested the sensor is the "same" Sony sensor giving great results in so many cases. But for me this is simply not true. I dislike the colors of the Sony sensor - and for me it could be an easy explanation why CL/SL are not so great for me.

In addition, if future developments follow past experience - then bits and pieces from the new S can be expected to be transferred to SL v2 and possibly to the CL- and T-systems, as well.

The SL2 probably, the CL (unfortunately IMO) seems to have gotten its inspiration more from the M, Q and X systems.  

• Like 1

I'm not feeling as compelled to get SL zoom lenses at this moment. The 90-280 and 16-35 should have been a must have for me. So I was quite astonished at myself for not getting the 90-280 yet and even complemented the 24-90 with the TL and M lenses instead.

It's something I would not normally do so I concluded that retirement has become a fairly attractive proposition. While I'm enjoying the SL enormously, I'm also considering sliding into retirement gracefully  ;)

I went back to using my 5DIV for a week and it felt pretty good to have snappy AF and easy flash controls. I think however the deciding factor is the Leica 24-90 and the SL's image quality. Just wish I was 20 years younger. The SL is built for the next generation of pros.

But if I have the economic reason, it's an easy decision. Problem is the 24-90 gets me creative with doing away with 1.7 kg of 90-280.

Edited by lx1713