Used Leica lenses in New York

nabilnazri

New York has a relatively large number of dealers , with that ,I don't think you will find a large used inventory in one concentrated place but spread out . There won't be any bargains unless you buy from  someone who doesn't understand what they are selling - which is probably not a good idea. I have only bought one used lens, online from Popflash and was very happy..... I familiar with  just about all the dealers in Manhattan  ,  nobody worthwhile is giving Leica lens away below market value. Expect a price of about $500 below  new for a current version of a lens in mint/mint - condition

Good luck, I hope you prove me wrong and get a spectacular deal 

• Like 1

BH and Adorama are super fun too look around but their prices are a little high. They often have vintage lenses. 

Leica store SoHo is a solid spot. Prices are ok. They will have some vintage lenses from time to time. 

You would have to drive or cab from the city but Bergen County Camera, in NJ, is awesome as well. They post their used inventory online and often have vintage lenses. 

3 hours ago, dkmoore said:

BH and Adorama are super fun too look around but their prices are a little high. They often have vintage lenses. 

Leica store SoHo is a solid spot. Prices are ok. They will have some vintage lenses from time to time. 

You would have to drive or cab from the city but Bergen County Camera, in NJ, is awesome as well. They post their used inventory online and often have vintage lenses. 

I think of these leica Soho is best for a visitor….. the area itself is a great ‘street shots’ venue, tons of other galleries or retail, some great restaurants, bakeries, bookstores. I. In that general area most weekends- it’s a fun part of the city

• Like 1

I purchased a 90 2.0 APO from a Leica Store Boston.  Older non marked camera ID but otherwise perfect.  $3200.  New is $5000 ++.

I consider that a good deal.  Also a M10 grip for half the new price and it was also perfect

Leica Store Boston, Washington DC, Miami are corporate stores and there are others.  

• 1 year later...

K&M on 54 Orchard St is a good place for used camera.  Forget about getting a bargain lens in New York.  Higher chance you'll find one in Hong Kong.  I think it is worth checking out the gallery at the new Leica Store in Chelsea.   

Whatever I bought from NYC I got at B&H, here and there some items are priced really well - like this LHSA M6 TTL in black paint.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:03 PM, nabilnazri said:

Hi, I’m visiting New York later this week. Are there shops in the city where I can find pre owned/used Leica lenses? Hoping to pick up a 50mm for my M240. Thank you :)

https://www.kenhansennyc.com is probably still the one with the largest stock, and emailing or calling is probably the easiest way to find a gem. 

The new Leica Store Meatpacking District on W 13rd St have second-hand and limited editions, and so does the Leica Store Soho.

I also think BH Photo have quite a flow going through, so once in a while you find something really special that nobody seems to have noticed.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 6:03 PM, Al Brown said:

Whatever I bought from NYC I got at B&H, here and there some items are priced really well - like this LHSA M6 TTL in black paint.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

When I lived there, and in recent years back and forth working / visiting, I hated that place. It's like a Walmart but noisier and ruder...............Would rather take a dental appointment.

5 minutes ago, Smudgerer said:

When I lived there, and in recent years back and forth working / visiting, I hated that place. It's like a Walmart but noisier and ruder...............Would rather take a dental appointment.

I surely do not go to B&H for the millieu, the stylish chic and poised manners. But they still are the the largest non-chain camera store in the US. And they still carry hard to find shit at awesome prices.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I surely do not go to B&H for the millieu, the stylish chic and poised manners. But they still are the the largest non-chain camera store in the US. And they still carry hard to find shit at awesome prices.

Sure, why would you go into a camera store looking for a best friend?.............Many people in the biz I know/knew in NY/US browsed B+H and yes some bargains were found and gear bought but I couldn't, the place gives me a headache. For my cine needs, cameras, lenses et-al I've always gone through one firm, Abel Cine in NY, friends and colleagues for close to three decades and I guess I spent more than a couple of nice sailboats or maybe a house's worth with them over time. Probably would have saved some by shopping at B+H but personal / professional long term relationships mean much more to me. Same with stills "stuff", amongst others I used Stan Tamarkin when he was in NYC then followed Dan when he moved the firm to Chicago........Now in Europe I shop at one Leica Store 600kms from me, another Leica and Nikon store "only" 200kms from me hardly convenient but they know me well so I stick with them and for used stills gear I go to Jo Greier first to try to find what I am looking for. I vastly prefer dealing with small firms, for personal or professional needs.

Hey , 

maybe it’s just fun to look around and look for opportunities. 
then there is the vast amount of gear. 
and if the dealer gives a warranty, then it’s ok to pay a little more.