Used Leica lenses in New York

nabilnazri

I would add Foto Care in Chelsea, which usually has a large number of used Leica lenses and cameras spanning the last few decades.  Their used inventory isn't online so you'll have to call.  In my experience, prices are generally better than other shops in the city.

https://www.fotocare.com/

Edited by Jeremy Bunting

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Bunting said:

I would add Foto Care in Chelsea, which usually has a large number of used Leica lenses and cameras spanning the last few decades.  Their used inventory isn't online so you'll have to call.  In my experience, prices are generally better than other shops in the city.

https://www.fotocare.com/

They currently have just one used 50mm M Summicron, from the 70’s, at $1995.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, Jeff S said:

This is like a list of where to completely overpay for anything used in New York City. And I’m not even sure that Leica Soho sells used lenses.

my advice to the OP is don’t bother looking for used lenses here. Just sign up to the Camera West drop if you want to buy something from a dealer and don’t want to overpay.

24 minutes ago, trickness said:

This is like a list of where to completely overpay for anything used in New York City. And I’m not even sure that Leica Soho sells used lenses.

my advice to the OP is don’t bother looking for used lenses here. Just sign up to the Camera West drop if you want to buy something from a dealer and don’t want to overpay.

SoHo sells used lenses…you didn’t open my link. These aren’t dealers I would buy from, but the OP is apparently from Singapore and wants to stop in some NY shops while he’s visiting this week.  

Feel free to post your NY list, with specific links to used 50mm lenses in inventory, as I did.

FWIW, Camera West is a good shop, but still wouldn’t be my first choice.  Price isn’t everything.

Jeff

8 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

SoHo sells used lenses…you didn’t open my link. These aren’t dealers I would buy from, but the OP is apparently from Singapore and wants to stop in some NY shops while he’s visiting this week.  

Feel free to post your NY list, with specific links to used 50mm lenses in inventory, as I did.

FWIW, Camera West is a good shop, but still wouldn’t be my first choice.  Price isn’t everything.

Jeff

I don’t buy in New York and I don’t recommend anybody else does. Unless they want to vastly overpay for things that they can buy in many other places for a lot less money. Especially somewhere like the Soho store. I live here and shoot here and work here every day and interact with many other New York photographers and pretty much none of us spend money in that store. Perception is it’s for tourists and people who don’t know how to use the Internet to comparison shop, or who just like to throw money down the drain.

These lenses are so well-built they’ve been banging around for 50+ years and at most need a quick brush up from DAG. In reality, there is very little value add buying a used lens from a dealer, especially a Leica official store. Bodies, different story. But hey if you want to drop one to two more for a lens just so you can say you bought it from Leica Soho or B&H, then whatever floats your boat.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, trickness said:

I don’t buy in New York and I don’t recommend anybody else does. Unless they want to vastly overpay for things that they can buy in many other places for a lot less money. Especially somewhere like the Soho store.

Discuss with the OP.  I don’t care even a little bit where you shop.  

Btw, you didn’t even know the SoHo store sold pre-owned Leica gear.  Before they were robbed, their inventory and pricing was on par with stores like Camera West.

Jeff

13 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Discuss with the OP.  I don’t care even a little bit where you shop.  

Btw, you didn’t even know the SoHo store sold pre-owned Leica gear.  Before they were robbed, their inventory and pricing was on par with stores like Camera West.

Jeff

And I don’t care where you buy anything either, although I know how highly you value your own opinions.

The Soho store primarily exists to sell new Leica equipment at list price. That is their raison d’être. Literally none of the dozens of New York city photographers I know buy used from that store, for the reasons I’ve already stated. Not before or after the robbery. They never had great used inventory, and they were never a real go to store for buying used lenses, not for anybody I knew. I bought from Tamarkin back in the day when they were adjacent to the Leica gallery, which was an all together, more pleasant experience.

OP again, unless you’ve got a money press or a winning lottery ticket in your back pocket, this is not the town to go looking for used Leica glass. Take it from somebody who has been living & shooting here for 30+ years.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, trickness said:

And I don’t care where you buy anything either, although I know how highly you value your own opinions.

I directly answered the OP’s question in post #3.  No opinion offered about where he or I should shop. You ranted on about that, and not even to him. Pot…kettle.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi all. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. Yes I’m coming from Singapore. There is a decent pre owned market here, but there’s not much to go by given our small population. 

I’m definitely comparing prices between New York and Singapore. Availability is a huge factor too. FWIW, I will check out the stores mentioned and Craigslist as well. I might be in luck - who knows. Nevertheless, looking forward to this trip already :) 

2 hours ago, nabilnazri said:

Hi all. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. Yes I’m coming from Singapore. There is a decent pre owned market here, but there’s not much to go by given our small population. 

I’m definitely comparing prices between New York and Singapore. Availability is a huge factor too. FWIW, I will check out the stores mentioned and Craigslist as well. I might be in luck - who knows. Nevertheless, looking forward to this trip already :) 

What are you looking for Current 50 or vintage? Summicron, Summilux or Noctilux?

Craigslist can be a hit and miss, I have spotted a few scammers there.

Leica 35mm/50mm summicron (non-collapsible). Either focal length is fine..

right now I’m using the TT artisan 35mm 😂 would love to get a summicron. 

we’ll see.. I’ll spend a day walking about the shops. I’ll share my experience in due time

31 minutes ago, nabilnazri said:

Leica 35mm/50mm summicron (non-collapsible). Either focal length is fine..

right now I’m using the TT artisan 35mm 😂 would love to get a summicron. 

we’ll see.. I’ll spend a day walking about the shops. I’ll share my experience in due time

Actually Singapore is a great place to get used Leica equipment as there are a lot of collectors and second hand shops here. Due to its small size and close proximity of shops, it's easy to find what you want. Most shops in the Peninsular Hotel area stock both vintage and current models. Of course, price is always a variable and subject to demand/supply. Familiarise yourself with current market prices and test before purchase. What lenses do you have in mind?

Edited by rramesh

@rramesh Hey. 

yup I’ve dropped by the Peninsula area a couple of times. (One of my favourite places to window shop 😅

Unfortunately as per my last visit they didn’t have any 50mm summicrons there! They got loads of collapsible/elmar lenses there though. Heard some of them are brought in from Hong Kong! 

5 minutes ago, nabilnazri said:

@rramesh Hey. 

yup I’ve dropped by the Peninsula area a couple of times. (One of my favourite places to window shop 😅

Unfortunately as per my last visit they didn’t have any 50mm summicrons there! They got loads of collapsible/elmar lenses there though. Heard some of them are brought in from Hong Kong! 

Sure they do. Try Riceball photo. They have at least 3 available. I am sure other shops do as well.

Which version are you looking for? 

Edited by rramesh