New Leica SL Lenses & Roadmap!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed that there are almost no queries on AF functions/limitations in this forum. So with so much moaning about weight & size of the SL native lenses in this forum is aligned to my thought that most in this forum are just die-hard M & R lenses users. So that much complaints on new lenses roadmap should be discounted.

AF has been frequently discussed, as many who started with M and R lenses soon came to appreciate the 24-90, and eventually the longer zoom. And AF on the 50 Summilux was notably scrutinized.

Personally, I care more about OIS and weather sealing on the native lenses. The roadmap remains of interest.

Jeff

If they made smaller lenses for the SL as you wish the rest of the Leica users who value other attributes would start moaning ... and if you want both (big full featured lenses and small portable ones) we would all be waiting forever.....  :D

IMHO with the TL2/CL Leica is starting to find a very good balance: 3 zooms (11-23, 18-56, 55-135), 2 larger reference lenses (35, 60)  and 2 smaller portable ones (18, 23).

I believe this is a very smart approach and one that hopefully also gets adopted for the SL.  

That being said, small for the SL might still be too large for a lot of people...  :).   Time will tell...

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

Hysterical.

Hard to do anything with a system that I can't comfortably carry. So I can't do anything with it.

Jeff

Hysterical indeed - sad, more likely, but whatever :)

Well, since you keep not answering, let's try something else Jeff, perhaps you can answer these questions instead to make us understand better.

1. What system do you currently use (camera, lenses, the more detail the better)?

2. Are you happy with your current system?

3. If not, why?

Best regards,

Vieri

Time for Mod's to step in and stop this increasingly acrimonious and irrelevant discussion? 

Wilson

You are right Wilson, my bad. I should have stopped it a few messages ago, seeing it goes nowhere. Best regards,

Vieri

• Like 3

I have given up waiting for my pre-ordered 16-35 SL, sold my 90-280 and ordered a CL with the two TL zooms. I will keep the SL and 24-90, as it is a brilliant performer with that lens and also with the 50/.95 Noctilux but for travel use, I now find the SL too heavy. I think I am correct in saying that the CL plus both zooms, weighs less than the SL and 24-90. If the 16-35 had arrived when originally scheduled, I would probably have continued with the SL. I don't see myself buying any additional lenses for the SL or the SL update when, if ever, that arrives. I get the vibe with the SL, that this is now a bit of a side-show for Leica, with them concentrating on the APS-C and M ranges. Panaleicas seem to have died, with I suspect, only old stock now being sold.  

Wilson

Panasonic offers many "panaleicas". And there are the Leica lenses. That's all that's needed. This strategy is ok for me. Plenty of new features in there. Plenty of handy long lenses.

But announcing lenses and not showing anything is no strategy at all (SL).

I have already "a lot of" DX stuff from the last years. Why would I need a CL ? What is new ?

Still I prefer my FF lenses to the DX lenses. That will be my favorite for a while.

I was talking about Leica branded Panaleicas not the Panasonic compacts with Leica branded lenses. It is a quite long time since we have seen a new Leica branded Panasonic made compact and the existing range is pretty long in the tooth. Previously, they were being updated regularly. That is why I wonder if it is now a defunct strategy and the ones being sold are all just old stock. I think the C112 was the last new one and that was 4 years ago. I have a C112 and its low light performance looks quite poor nowadays, especially compared to the small Sony compacts, with back lit sensors. 

Wilson

As a left eye shooter, I find my nose tends to activate touch screens at random, so I disable them as well. 

Wilson

Not only that, but when the focus point is decentered by mistake it is

a. unfindable because it is lurking in some corner or behind a screen overlay

b. virtually impossible to recover without reading the manual

:angry: :angry: :huh:

• Like 2

I was talking about Leica branded Panaleicas not the Panasonic compacts with Leica branded lenses. It is a quite long time since we have seen a new Leica branded Panasonic made compact and the existing range is pretty long in the tooth. Previously, they were being updated regularly. That is why I wonder if it is now a defunct strategy and the ones being sold are all just old stock. I think the C112 was the last new one and that was 4 years ago. I have a C112 and its low light performance looks quite poor nowadays, especially compared to the small Sony compacts, with back lit sensors.

I think the last one was the D-Lux (Pana LX-100). The Panasonic version hasn't been updated either, which tells me that the market segment may not exist anymore. I remember that it competed directly with some of Panasonic's own MFT interchangeable lens cameras when it came out (same price, same size, similar specs).

Is there an updated roadmap? I thought that at least a couple more lenses would have been released by now.

Hardly. The announced SL 75mm and 90mm lenses are both listed as "coming soon" on leica.com. The remaining two, the SL 35mm is listed for "Spring 2018", and the SL 16-35mm for "April 2018". So we can expect to see two of the new SL-lenses on this side of the boreal winter.

Nothing has been said about the future plans for the SL-optics (AFIK), beyond five non-named lenses indicated on the SL lens roadmap for 2018.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I frustated and become more and more impatient with SL lenses roadmap, I’m hanging high on the 35 cron and 75 apo cron but now when Leica pushed the release again, I’m ready to sell or trade with MF system from Fuji or Hasselblad X1D.

I love the SL, but I prefer to use the M lenses to its native body, so I tend to leave the SL behind when go out shooting or traveling. So maybe this is it..