The Leica M-D thread - merged.

jcraf

actually it is quite rare for a lens to go out of calibration as they are adjusted by shims. In forty years of M use I have never had a camera go out of adjustment spontaneously either. Th only - easily adjusted by the user- vulnerable connection is the roller.

Well, in 6 years of use, I've had my lenses that use floating lens elements adjusted multiple times, which are not adjusted by shims (so I'm told). And I routinely have had to have my M bodies adjusted over time, and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one. In fact, my M-P which I got only last summer, needs horizontal adjustment.

Edited by DezFoto

Well, in 6 years of use, I've had my lenses that use floating lens elements adjusted multiple times, which are not adjusted by shims (so I'm told). And I routinely have had to have my M bodies adjusted over time, and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one. In fact, my M-P which I got only last summer, needs horizontal adjustment.

You're doing something really wrong.

Same as Jaapv here.  Been using Leicas since around 1970.  I can't even recall how many I've had, pretty much one of every model and pairs of a few, plus a few screwmounts.  Lenses, I have over a dozen at present, and have bought and sold at least three dozen over the years.  In that entire time I have had one body and 2 lenses which needed adjustment.  The body was an M9, which arrived new in the box with a totally maladjusted rangefinder.  Once I put it right myself it stayed that way for the duration.  The lenses were a tabbed 50 Summicron and an old version 135 T-E.  Both were bought used and both have been spot on since being adjusted to specs. 

You're doing something really wrong.

Not speaking for somebody else, but it could be because some people are more demanding/sensitive than others. Personally I have never had to get my camera and lens adjusted in last three and half years and I don't baby my camera. I do have one old 135 tele-elmar that doesn't focus to infinity though. It is a lens issue and I will have to send it. But the camera is fine with four other lenses.
  • Like 1

You guys really need to keep your voices down!!

I do hope that this rumour doesn't get to my M-A. It is rapidly approaching 200 rolls of film in a little less than 1.5 years and I would hate for it to go on strike now, just because I haven't sent it on a vacation to Germany.

Where do these silly ideas get started?

• Like 1

actually it is quite rare for a lens to go out of calibration as they are adjusted by shims. In forty years of M use I have never had a camera go out of adjustment spontaneously either. Th only - easily adjusted by the user- vulnerable connection is the roller.

In 6 years of Leica M use, my 75 Summilux has had to be recalibrate do (whatever that involves) twice. 

• Like 1

You guys really need to keep your voices down!!

I do hope that this rumour doesn't get to my M-A. It is rapidly approaching 200 rolls of film in a little less than 1.5 years and I would hate for it to go on strike now, just because I haven't sent it on a vacation to Germany.

Where do these silly ideas get started?

Film cameras are more tolerant to small focus inaccuracies than digital cameras, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Today (April 15, 2016) Leica made an announcement about the Leica T which gives a strong signal where the Leica M is headed.

The Leica Model T now transfers images from the camera wirelessly to a cellphone, tablet, or computer.

It seems likely that future Leica M's will acquire this capability.
This means that the Leica M will no longer need an LCD screen - as is rumoured for the Leica M-D.
Instead, it will use the (much better) LCD screen of a smartphone,
The camera will become smaller, lighter, and simpler.
The connection is two-way, so that the cellphone can change menu settings on the Leica.
Way to go, Leica!!
  • Like 2

This is all good news. If an app can do it, then why not Leica?

I can put my old iPhone in a pocket or anywhere close and use my new iPhone to frame and take pictures thrugh the old one. I consider it a prototype because it is slow, but everything gets faster. Right?

Today (April 15, 2016) Leica made an announcement about the Leica T which gives a strong signal where the Leica M is headed.

The Leica Model T now transfers images from the camera wirelessly to a cellphone, tablet, or computer.

It seems likely that future Leica M's will acquire this capability.

This means that the Leica M will no longer need an LCD screen - as is rumoured for the Leica M-D.

Instead, it will use the (much better) LCD screen of a smartphone,

The camera will become smaller, lighter, and simpler.

The connection is two-way, so that the cellphone can change menu settings on the Leica.

Way to go, Leica!!

If the camera can transmit a histogram to Apple watch or a similar device, I won't need the screen.

This is all good news. If an app can do it, then why not Leica?

I can put my old iPhone in a pocket or anywhere close and use my new iPhone to frame and take pictures thrugh the old one. I consider it a prototype because it is slow, but everything gets faster. Right?

BadJoke on:   Maybe Luigi will make a leather half case that allows the iPhone to be slotted behind the MD  : BadJoke off