Leica SL Firmware v.2.0 answers our wishes

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chris,

I use the SF58 on my SL. It's fully functional. All features now work on the flash. FEC is set via the flash and not the camera. You can setbit in the camera but it does nothing and reverts to what's set in the flash.

Exposures are better than on the M because it reads flash metering off the sensor.

Gordon

Some help please,

How do you manage  "Auto ISO limit values"?

If I follow my own interpretation things do not work, if I put mínimum 50 it works as before: very well.

:blink: Francisco.

The reason you never noticed the (estimated) 'aperture reading jumping around like it is now', is because it wasn't there with firmware V1 and 1,2.

You could only see F-- .

You could only see the estimate aperture reading with R and M lenses when reviewing the picture after taking it.

Now, with firmware V2, you can see the estimate aperture for the R and M lenses before taking the picture.

Another related change is that now you can see the estimated aperture for the R and M lenses on the top cover screen.

...but beside many advantages there's a new bug in FW 2.0:

Metadata now doesn't contain the lens serial number (SL/TL lenses).

FW 1.1 und 1.2 includes these (the s/n of the camera still exists in metadata)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...but beside many advantages there's a new bug in FW 2.0:

Metadata now doesn't contain the lens serial number (SL/TL lenses).

FW 1.1 und 1.2 includes these (the s/n of the camera still exists in metadata)

Serial numbers in Metadata should be optional IMO. 

I know I should have checked this during the Beta testing, but the following M lenses are missing from the editable list:

• 21/1.4 ASPH 11647
  • 28/1.4 ASPH 12468
  • Noctilux 0.95 11602

The Macro-Adapter-M is listed, but with the 90/2 lens, which presumably has the potential for confusion if you use the adapter with other lenses (which I do).

Also the APO 2x Extender-R isn't listed in the R list either (not sure if this is necessary).

As the lenses listed above are the current offerings, I'm surprised they're not in the lens profile list.  It might help if others can check their lenses as well.

Cheers

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know I should have checked this during the Beta testing, but the following M lenses are missing from the editable list:

• 21/1.4 ASPH 11647
  • 28/1.4 ASPH 12468
  • Noctilux 0.95 11602

The Macro-Adapter-M is listed, but with the 90/2 lens, which presumably has the potential for confusion if you use the adapter with other lenses (which I do).

Also the APO 2x Extender-R isn't listed in the R list either (not sure if this is necessary).

As the lenses listed above are the current offerings, I'm surprised they're not in the lens profile list.  It might help if others can check their lenses as well.

Cheers

John

Those lens have only been made as 6-bit coded, so presumably that's why those are not included. If you look closely at the editable list you'll see that no lens that has only been made 6-bit coded is listed (e.g., 35/1.4 FLE, 24/1.4, 21/3.4, and so on). I suppose this would adversely impact someone using a 3rd party lens and trying to use a built-in profile to match it.

That makes sense, but I'm not sure that is entirely correct - the current 35 Summilux ASPH is on the list, as is the current APO Summicron 90 ASPH and the Macro Elmar M 90, all made only in 6-bit, as far as I'm aware.

The information comes through when the DNG is loaded in LightRoom, so perhaps it is of no moment at all.

Cheers

John

That makes sense, but I'm not sure that is entirely correct - the current 35 Summilux ASPH is on the list, as is the current APO Summicron 90 ASPH and the Macro Elmar M 90, all made only in 6-bit, as far as I'm aware.

The information comes through when the DNG is loaded in LightRoom, so perhaps it is of no moment at all.

Cheers

John

My OCD got the best of me, so I looked at the model numbers in the list. The current 35 Summilux FLE (V) is listed in the same profile with the prior version of the lens (non FLE, version IV) as opposed to being a separate choice. Not sure if that's what gets assigned by the camera or not using the 6-bit coding, if I lose sleep over this I'll investigate...not likely. The Apo Sumicron ASPH despite it's fancy name, predated 6-bit coding, as did the 90 Macro Elmar M. Indeed my 90 Apo is off being 6 bit coded now.

• Like 1

I haven't attempted to vet the M lens profiles at all because there are a lot more possibilities there. For instance, my Summilux 35mm f/1.4 is a 1972 pre-ASPH model, noted to be "v2" in the Leica Wiki list (three models, 11870/11860/11871). Well, you can't six-bit code it even though a lens profile for it exists—the code that would be used it auto-selects the profile for the ASPH model that superceded it (11873). However, the SL is smart: when I fit my coded example to the camera, it lets me choose between the 11870/11860/11871 or 11873 profiles. 

Similarly, I just received the WATE today. As far as I'm aware, all of them are coded. When you look at available lens profiles for it, the SL lets you choose 16mm, 18mm, and 21mm individual profiles. 

When my Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 is fitted, the lens profiles selection is grayed out but displays the correct lens ... It's not in the list when I fit an uncoded lens.

While you can use the Macro Adapter-M with other lenses, I'm pretty sure Leica didn't intend that and didn't include it intentionally. They just want the 90 Macro to be properly corrected with it since they're a matched set. 

Trying to vet such a complicated mix of different lenses and situations is out of my league... :-)

For the R lens profiles, there is no profile for the 2x Extender-R, APO 2x Extender-R, any ROM versions of the same, or APO 1.4x Extender-R. I think these omissions are intentional: SLR users frequently mix and match teleconverters with various lenses, the corrections required are likely best approximated by the lens profile for the primary lens. Producing a complete set of matched teleconverter and lens profiles is an awful lot of work and creates a huge clutter of lenses combination in the list for what is likely a pretty small audience. 

Dear Edward,

I am not completely sure, but it seems to be the remaining number of frames in the SL RAM buffer.

You can seen the number going down to zero as the buffer fills, and then incrementing up to 33 again as the images are written to the SD.

A small detail, but a really nice feature when you are waiting for the buffer to clear.

Best regards

Trond

Edited by trond
  • Like 2

They are certainly a buffer count. If you set the camera to any of the continuous modes and shoot a multiframe sequence, the number decrements with each exposure. 

I imagine it is useful if you are shooting in short, fast bursts: you can see at a glance how much buffer space you have to work with.

• Like 1

2 firmware why DNG format or automatic noise reduction, a waste of the battery and the time, it should be allowed to do LR.

2.0固件为什么DNG格式还是自动降噪,浪费了电池和时间,应该让LR去做。

What do you mean why DNG format?  Are you suggesting a jpg only camera?  This camera is obviously not for you.   All you have are complaints re it works for you.  Why don't you sell it and put yourself out of your misery.  And us too.  Nobody here can "fix" your camera.

2 firmware why DNG format or automatic noise reduction, a waste of the battery and the time, it should be allowed to do LR.

2.0固件为什么DNG格式还是自动降噪,浪费了电池和时间,应该让LR去做。

ALL Leica digital cameras use a black frame Noise Reduction of exactly the same duration as the exposure ....... even if it is 6 hours. 

That's the way Leica does it. Users have complained for years but they will not change ..... their argument is that it is they feel it is the only way to achieve optimum quality images and WILL NOT make it optional. 

If you don't like it, get another camera system