Leica SL Firmware v.2.0 answers our wishes

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I understand others' desire for this, but for me the way exposure preview works now is just about perfect. Such it is, I guess. 

Once you've enabled the direct ev compensation function in the menu, you need to use the correct dial...

The active dial for direct EV Compensation adjustment follows the camera's operating mode.

With dedicated lenses (SL and T):

• P - top dial: EV Comp, rear dial: P-shift
  • T - top dial: shutter speed, rear dial: EV Comp
  • A - top dial: EV Comp, rear dial: aperture setting
  • M - top dial: shutter speed, rear dial: aperture, EV Comp menu for EV compensation (I assign this to a long press on the Upper-Right button.)

With adapted lenses (M, R, and third party):

• A - top dial: EV Comp, rear dial: unused
  • M - top dial: shutter speed, rear dial: aperture, EV Comp menu for EV compensation (I assign this to a long press on the Upper-Right button.)

Many thanks - that's odd though.

With adapted lenses, on A, the shutter speed becomes fixed and the top dial just changes ISO, while the rear dial remains unused.

What I really want is to be able to set a shutter speed on the top wheel whilst using the rear wheel to do the exposure compensation. I can do that but I have to long press a button first, which is a pain. I wish I could use the camera like an M240 whereby I had exactly that control.

i take it, that's not possible?

• Like 1

It is probably me misunderstanding what you write, but... rear dial to change aperture on M lens in manual mode??

Hmm...isn't that to be done directly on the lens and not possible with any camera dial?

Sorry: a copy-paste error. 

The firmware update, along with press release, manual, etc, is available from the Leica website in the USA at: 

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=128327&subcategory=&type=&language=93871

The updated manual, while it includes some typo corrections that were needed since it was issued, does not seem to describe the improvements in firmware 2.0.  I couldn't find the description of the direct exposure compensation function, for example.  So it's back to a careful reading of the in-camera menus again.

scott

• Like 1

I understand others' desire for this, but for me the way exposure preview works now is just about perfect. Such it is, I guess. 

Once you've enabled the direct ev compensation function in the menu, you need to use the correct dial...

The active dial for direct EV Compensation adjustment follows the camera's operating mode.

With dedicated lenses (SL and T):

• P - top dial: EV Comp, rear dial: P-shift
  • T - top dial: shutter speed, rear dial: EV Comp
  • A - top dial: EV Comp, rear dial: aperture setting

With adapted lenses (M, R, and third party):

• A - top dial: EV Comp, rear dial: unused
  • M - top dial: shutter speed, rear dial: UNUSED, EV Comp menu for EV compensation (I assign this to a long press on the Upper-Right button.)

Many thanks - that's odd though.

With adapted lenses, on A, the shutter speed becomes fixed and the top dial just changes ISO, while the rear dial remains unused.

What I really want is to be able to set a shutter speed on the top wheel whilst using the rear wheel to do the exposure compensation. I can do that but I have to long press a button first, which is a pain. I wish I could use the camera like an M240 whereby I had exactly that control.

i take it, that's not possible?

Sorry for the copy-paste error: the rear dial with adapted lenses and either A or M mode is always unused unless you enable EV compensation or other functions first.

I'll have to check for adapted lenses (don't have my usual 'Lux-R 50 with me) but with the SL lens, the EV compensation will slide around ISO setting when AutoISO is set (if you're in range) in A mode and slides around shutter time when fixed ISO is set. I believe that the same behavior is there with adapted lenses—AutoISO means the camera can slide the ISO setting around, where a fixed ISO setting will slide the shutter time. You should check that. 

Leica did not include the option to customize the dial controls for shutter vs aperture operation, and the direct EV compensation is linked to those assignments, so there's no way to do what you want with this firmware. 

• Like 1

Well, I guess I can just fix the ISO and use the top button on M. Or, if I want to control shutter speed for any given aperture, switch it to A, have it on Auto ISO, do my long press and then use the back dial.

The functionality with an M240 and EVF makes a lot more sense to me though. Given Leica must know their users shoot M lenses that way, it seems strange that this isn't supported.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL is to support all wireless flash firmware 1.1 in M ​​documents, firmware 1.2 and 2.0 can not be used to upgrade PROFOTO wireless flash device (Canon TTL-C) and Canon ST-E3 wireless flash device. Top flash Canon 600EX 1.2 firmware can use wireless PROFOTO single point (TTL-N and Nikon) can be used.

Just to clarify what I think he's saying is. During version 1.1 of the SL, you could use the TTL-C and TTL-N transmitters to trigger the B1 flashes. NO NOT WITH TTL, but on Manual settings (as seen on the trigger in his photo). BUT after update 1.2 and now 2.0 there seems to be some interference and neither the N or C transmitter can even flash the strobe anymore when plugged into the SL.

This is annoying, same happened to me. So I had to go out and buy the universal profoto trigger. A $400 expense due to a firmware update. (I currently also have the TTL-C and TTL-N triggers as I have Canon and Nikon gear that I use on occasion with my B1 lighting). 

Now again, I'm not sure if that's what he means. But it did happen to me. 

• Like 1

Dumb question, perhaps, but I'm an M user just getting used to the SL menu system.  How do I activate the ability for the shutter speed to go to 1/16,000?

My guess is that you go UL > UL > UL  (this puts you in Camera menu) and then scroll down to Electronic Shutter and turn it ON if it is not already ON.

Then wait for bright daylight and take some pictures at f/1.4.  See what your shutter speed turns out to be.

cheers,

scott

• Like 3

Dumb question, perhaps, but I'm an M user just getting used to the SL menu system.  How do I activate the ability for the shutter speed to go to 1/16,000?

BTW: when you disable the short-press icons with fw2.0, all the first press functions of the buttons are direct so you don't have to press UL > UL > UL anymore. Just UL (enable menu system) > UL (get to camera menu) to get to the camera menu. 

Then scroll down to the second page of the CAMERA menu, and set "Enable Electronic Shutter" to ON. 

To test it, set Manual exposure mode and crank up the top dial. You'll see speeds you can set between 1/8000 and 1/16000 sec. 

First time I used it, I was on A mode, whacked my Summicron-R 90mm lens to f/2, and pressed the shutter to capture a picture of a flower. I couldn't understand why the shutter didn't fire, so I tried five or six times. I figured it must be locking me out due to overexposure, stopped down to f/2.8, and then the shutter fired. Later, I found I'd made seven exposures of the flower at speeds from 1/8000 to 1/16000 sec ... the camera operates utterly and completely silently unless you enable a beep sound.  :)

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

Well, I guess I can just fix the ISO and use the top button on M. Or, if I want to control shutter speed for any given aperture, switch it to A, have it on Auto ISO, do my long press and then use the back dial.

The functionality with an M240 and EVF makes a lot more sense to me though. Given Leica must know their users shoot M lenses that way, it seems strange that this isn't supported.

Not sure if I understand what you achieve this way, but I'll look later when I get home and have my manual lenses at hand. 

I also don't remember what the M typ 240 does ... I haven't used the EVF on it for quite a while. Since I bought the SL, the M-P has been fitted almost exclusively with the 35 or 75mm lenses, both of which I use the rangefinder to focus 99% of the time. 

In Caputure Assistance menu and then focus peaking settings does anyone know what the manual focus aid on/off switch does, as it seems what ever the setting you can still focus peak in live view and zoom/magnify in using the joystick? Thanks for your help

I believe (but am not sure) that with dedicated lenses this auto-enables focus peaking: when you are in MF mode or half-press the shutter release in AF mode, and turn the focusing ring, peaking is enabled regardless of the display overlay mode. 

Also, with dedicated lenses, the only way to enable focus magnification is to use the Lower-Left button because the joystick button is dedicated to AF functions. The joystick button is dedicated to manual focus magnification assist only with adapted lenses. 

Edited by ramarren

I see that each DNG file, which was a constant 43.1 MB is not 44.3 to 44.6 MB.  I presume that this is because of the larger embedded JPEG which also permits better chimping at high resolution.  I checked the back of camera review at high magnification, and it seems pretty good, so this reduces my desire to leave the jpegs on the second card, as I can now stop saving them entirely.

scott

• Like 2

@Jono and @Godfrey (2 confessed beta testers) -- did the file numbering rollover get sorted out so that a new directory is only created after 9999 shots rather than after 0999 shots?

scott

I don't know for sure ... I haven't been watching the file numbers (my import procedure in LR renames/renumbers all my photos by default, according to the way I have it set up). I'll look when I get home as I do have a complete record of all original exposures made with the SL (I haven't erased any card when it became full). 

Edited by ramarren

Ok.. Hopefully we see a 2.1 in the next week or so.

Custom function shortcut back buttons. Upper Left. IF you set it to certain things. When using the EVF it won't activate on press-hold. 

For instance. I have it set to flash compensation. When you first set it, it works. Then after a few minutes or if you turn off and on the camera. It won't work anymore. You just press the button and nothing happens.

All other quick buttons: UR, LL, LR work fine in either EVF viewing mode or LCD viewing mode. And yes it still happens even if you have the menu in EVF setting on or off.

This is largely right.

We spent some time looking at how EC works, particularly in my case in M mode.  I like to use exposure preview in M mode with AutoISO, on the basis that I can control shutter speed for blur, aperture for depth of field, and leave ISO to so what it wants to do.  My premise is that I can see the resulting exposure through the viewfinder.

Something in the algorithms of AutoISO meant initially that if you were in P or A mode, and camera gave ISO 50 priority, and brought down the shutter speed until you hit the minimum for the focal length, then the ISO came up.  I believe that has now been changed.

So, the way things work now, with an M lens attached, you will be either in M or A mode.  A single quick press of the Fn button brings up exposure preview (unless it comes on already - I can't recall where that is at as I don't have an M lens with me at the moment).  The rear dial controls EC, and if you have Auto ISO own, you need to check what the camera is doing with shutter speed and ISO for your given aperture.

For myself, I have found that I can live with AutoISO, but need to check it occasionally as it might be doing things I don't expect.  I don't have an M(240).  I guess there is considerable sense in having a consistent approach.

This is a big update!

Thanks to all that helped get this out. 

However still my biggest complaint is about the brightness of the EVF in bright outside conditions.

I have compared it to the following: Leica T, M240, Dlux (typ 109), Panasonic GH4 and Fuji Xpro2.

All of these cameras in bright conditions are much easier to see. 

At a recent event I was using the SL with M lenses in tandem with the Xpro2. I made a heap of focus mistakes that day on the SL due to not being able to see the image clearly compared to the Xpro2. 

I would love the ability to adjust the EVF just like the Leica T or M240 already has. 

The frustrating thing to me is that some of these features should be there from day 1 as they exist in other Leica cameras.

e.g. when the M240 was released, one of the biggest complaints was that you could not adjust the exposure comp using just the dial, but to hold a button on the front and then use the dial on the back. It was hard to do unless you had big hands.

Well exactly the same thing happened with this camera and it has taken 5 months of frustration for something Leica should have already learnt from...

• Like 1