Leica Q4 - wish list

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry if I am repeating a previous post but for me, a perfect Q4 would simply allow me to mount legacy lenses!  I have a Ricoh GRX with a sensor module that allows M lenses!  I used that setup before moving to the Q and then Q2.  For me, the Q2 is perfect, but I would really like to change lens now and then.  Really don’t care for the Q3 tilt screen at the expense of rearranging the rear buttons with which I am very comfortable.   

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Michael Jones said:

a perfect Q4 would simply allow me to mount legacy lenses

Sadly it's never going to happen without blowing up what currently exists.

As said many times before: the lens is built-in - there is no mount, the shutter is built into the lens - there is no traditional separate shutter curtain set back in the body of the camera, the sensor is optimally sited to match the fixed lens and built-in shutter mechanism, OIS is built in to the lens.

If you want an ILC camera then you can ask Leica to build an M lookalike with an M-mount and a built-in EVF, or you can buy an SL2/3 which uses the L-mount and can take M lenses with an adaptor.

Edited by Le Chef

Posted (edited)
On 2/7/2024 at 5:43 PM, mmk60 said:

With a smaller lens, please.

• A smaller lens is my number 1 request too. 
  • As a 50mm shooter, I'd obviously prefer a 50mm lens & have to mention it, but I understand why 28mm has been chosen. I realize this is likely in opposition to my first request :). Perhaps a tiny 35mm would be a good middle ground.
  • I'd prefer a flip around screen so I can hide the screen. Adds durability too.
  • Lastly, please keep improving the user experience. Strive for bug-free software, robust hardware, continue updating the fantastic Leica Fotos transfer app, keep the simple menu structure in camera, continue to improve the AF.
Edited by zachroeder

Am 6.3.2024 um 21:29 schrieb Le Chef:

(...) If you want an ILC camera then you can ask Leica to build an M lookalike with an M-mount and a built-in EVF (...)

I really hope this day will come. I think such a camera would be better suited as an L-mount. There is no benefit in having it M-mount natively as L mount opens up many more options for such a camera. But I wouldn't say no to either if some M lenses would be updated with some rubber gaskets to weather proof them.

I  think it's highly unlikely Leica will change the Q concept much. It's a real winner a year after introduction still not available off the shelf. The hype is real and they'd be stupid to make fundamental changes to this camera.

We have pages and pages of discussion about this camera on this site alone. I can’t see Leica adding another L-mount camera when they have the SL3 just launched with an SL3-S to follow. If one were to come it would be based on the LUMIX S5III. Apparently the S5II cannot be converted to the kind of controls and firmware that Leica users prefer. Leica would still have to figure out pricing to avoid cannibalizing SL3 sales. An M mount camera with an EVF might be more likely but I’m not holding my breath for either.

Il y a 50 minutes, Le Chef a dit :

Nous avons des pages et des pages de discussion sur cette caméra sur ce site seul. Je ne vois pas Leica ajouter un autre appareil photo à monture L quand ils ont le SL3 qui vient d'être lancé avec un SL3-S à suivre. Si on devait venir, il serait basé sur le LUMIX S5III. Apparemment, le S5II ne peut pas être converti au type de contrôles et de micrologiciel que les utilisateurs de Leica préfèrent. Leica devrait encore déterminer les prix pour éviter de cannibaliser les ventes de SL3. Une caméra à monture M avec un EVF pourrait être plus probable, mais je ne retiens pas mon souffle non plus.

Je suis bien d'accord : pour résumer le SL3 est un Q3 avec objectifs interchangeables et double logement pour carte mémoire... et 1000 euros de plus ! C'est très simple : vous achetez l'un ou l'autre.

Ce débat me laisse rêveur...

Mais pour le Q5 j'aimerais bien un allume-cigare intégré !