Leica SL Firmware v.2.0 answers our wishes

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok.. Hopefully we see a 2.1 in the next week or so.

Custom function shortcut back buttons. Upper Left. IF you set it to certain things. When using the EVF it won't activate on press-hold. 

For instance. I have it set to flash compensation. When you first set it, it works. Then after a few minutes or if you turn off and on the camera. It won't work anymore. You just press the button and nothing happens.

All other quick buttons: UR, LL, LR work fine in either EVF viewing mode or LCD viewing mode. And yes it still happens even if you have the menu in EVF setting on or off.

I tried but could not replicate your issue. 

• The default for SETUP > Customize Controls > Menu Access in EVF is Disabled.
  • If I set it to Enabled, the Upper-Left button short press always nets me the menu system. A long press nets me whatever I've assigned to it.
  • I specifically set the customization to Flash Exposure Compensation and it has worked without fail, no matter whether I used it for a couple of minutes, used it once and then again an hour later, etc. 

I have the setup just the way I like it now. If I go to 2.0 and don't like it (my number one wish was in LV to have horizon plus peaking simultaneously, but I did not see anyone mention it), can I go back to 1.2 - and where can I find a version 1.2 now?

@Jono and @Godfrey (2 confessed beta testers) -- did the file numbering rollover get sorted out so that a new directory is only created after 9999 shots rather than after 0999 shots?

scott

I happen to cross 0999 shots during the test phase and a new directory was created. So I guess the maximum number of images contained in each directory is (still) 999 (although the new FW might have fixed this).

I have the setup just the way I like it now. If I go to 2.0 and don't like it (my number one wish was in LV to have horizon plus peaking simultaneously, but I did not see anyone mention it), can I go back to 1.2 - and where can I find a version 1.2 now?

simply export your settings and restore them after the update...no reason not to update.

• Like 1

I tried but could not replicate your issue. 

• The default for SETUP > Customize Controls > Menu Access in EVF is Disabled.
  • If I set it to Enabled, the Upper-Left button short press always nets me the menu system. A long press nets me whatever I've assigned to it.
  • I specifically set the customization to Flash Exposure Compensation and it has worked without fail, no matter whether I used it for a couple of minutes, used it once and then again an hour later, etc. 

Seriously?

Shoot.. That's worse news then. As it means my specific unit is glitching out :(

I'm going to try resetting the camera to see if that helps. 

• Like 1

Seriously?

Shoot.. That's worse news then. As it means my specific unit is glitching out :(

I'm going to try resetting the camera to see if that helps. 

I tested again at home this evening. No problems with my camera. 

Yes, it's likely a configuration setting... save your configuration to user profiles if you haven't already, export them, reset the camera, then import the profiles. That's cleared up glitches for several issues, I found. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Further to my comment about the EVF.

I just got around to updating to 2.0 and took the camera outside. I didn't do a direct before/after comparison but I would say the EVF is brighter than before the update.

I would still like the ability to adjust it independently to the LCD, which I hope can be added to the next update.

The other main thing that stands out to me now is tethered support. I would love to be able to use that USB 3 connection in a studio environment.

• Like 1

"Full support for all Leica Flashes" is misleading.  TTL doesn't work with the SF20 and there is still some strangeness in A mode where ISO on the camera sometimes cannot be changed when the flash is mounted and in A mode.  This was a problem with ver 1.2 as well.

Just to clarify what I think he's saying is. During version 1.1 of the SL, you could use the TTL-C and TTL-N transmitters to trigger the B1 flashes. NO NOT WITH TTL, but on Manual settings (as seen on the trigger in his photo). BUT after update 1.2 and now 2.0 there seems to be some interference and neither the N or C transmitter can even flash the strobe anymore when plugged into the SL.

This is annoying, same happened to me. So I had to go out and buy the universal profoto trigger. A $400 expense due to a firmware update. (I currently also have the TTL-C and TTL-N triggers as I have Canon and Nikon gear that I use on occasion with my B1 lighting). 

Now again, I'm not sure if that's what he means. But it did happen to me. 

I also look at the early 1.1 firmware can only buy a SL, 2 firmware or not, forced to prepare to sell SL.

I also look at the early 1.1 firmware can only buy a SL, 2 firmware or not, forced to prepare to sell SL.

why not just tape the ttl pins on the flash trigger?

what's most likely to be happening is the ttl pins are making contact and the camera is seeing a non normal behaviour and shutting down the shoe. Tape the pins or buy a $5 hotshoe adaptor and you should be good to go.

Gordon

"Full support for all Leica Flashes" is misleading.  TTL doesn't work with the SF20 and there is still some strangeness in A mode where ISO on the camera sometimes cannot be changed when the flash is mounted and in A mode.  This was a problem with ver 1.2 as well

Maybe they should have clarified by saying all currently available Leica TTL flashes. it's unfortunate but at some point discontinued products lose support.

Gordon

I just updated my SL to 2.0 and Im getting what I think is a bug. 

When using my M glass in manual mode the aperture reading is jumping all over the place. Obviously the SL is not changing my M lens aperture, but the reading is changing depending on my available light and its recording incorrect aperture values in the EXIF. 

I tried resetting the camera and that didn't help.

Am I missing something?

On the M there was a trick: after upgrade insert a SD card with your last image files on, and the camera would continue the numbering from the last file. Have you tried that on the SL?

Of course my files have started their numbers at L10000000000001 again.  I hope there will be a list of revisions to the manual to sort out the new options. 

• Like 2

When using my M glass in manual mode the aperture reading is jumping all over the place. Obviously the SL is not changing my M lens aperture, but the reading is changing depending on my available light and its recording incorrect aperture values in the EXIF. 

Am I missing something?

I've seen similar behaviour on my SL too. It's not reading my summarit 90 lens properly now, the aperture values displayed are different to what I'm setting on the lens, off by a stop or a fraction of a stop. Must be a BUG !! Who will report it and where to?

On the M there was a trick: after upgrade insert a SD card with your last image files on, and the camera would continue the numbering from the last file. Have you tried that on the SL?

I've assigned a new letter to the file name (M in my case) and this has reset the numbering to initial. I should have tried what you suggest. 

Am I missing something?

It is trying to "guess" your aperture value based on the TTL metering and external light meter on the camera. Nothing to worry about.

Just to clarify what I think he's saying is. During version 1.1 of the SL, you could use the TTL-C and TTL-N transmitters to trigger the B1 flashes. NO NOT WITH TTL, but on Manual settings (as seen on the trigger in his photo). BUT after update 1.2 and now 2.0 there seems to be some interference and neither the N or C transmitter can even flash the strobe anymore when plugged into the SL.

This is annoying, same happened to me. So I had to go out and buy the universal profoto trigger. A $400 expense due to a firmware update. (I currently also have the TTL-C and TTL-N triggers as I have Canon and Nikon gear that I use on occasion with my B1 lighting). 

Now again, I'm not sure if that's what he means. But it did happen to me. 

Well, I think it worked for you with C and N transmitters by coincident. I had a chat to the distributor of Profoto in Sydney and he wouldn't even let me try any of those transmitters on my SL. The risk was to high to short circuit the hotshoe wiring. You are meant to use the generic transmitter only. BTW I tried the C transmitter on Sony A7RII with Profoto B2 and that didn't work at all. 

....... as said ..... no .... which is why it is so annoying....

on the M9 you could reset, manually change the folder name and number via computer on the card and the camera would continue numbering from that image when re-inserted into the camera. 

the facility to set an initial file number/name is simple to implement ..... this is just laziness on Leica's part 

Well, I think it worked for you with C and N transmitters by coincident. I had a chat to the distributor of Profoto in Sydney and he wouldn't even let me try any of those transmitters on my SL. The risk was to high to short circuit the hotshoe wiring. You are meant to use the generic transmitter only. BTW I tried the C transmitter on Sony A7RII with Profoto B2 and that didn't work at all. 

Yeah, I just use the generic one now.