Who likes the provided strap what alternatives are there ?

rfunnell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Anyone tried "4V Design - Camera straps".

They look very comfortable, well padded and broad.

Edited by Fang

Well, I could simply say that English is my second language but that would be too easy of a response.

Instead, after some thought, I'd like to say the following.

After working for many years in advertising myself, I've got to say that from a marketing perspective you are correct: 'Pretty' is not a good word.

So, because I like to keep things simple and truthful, I will replace it with 'quite.'

Let's face it, chicago screws are a safe form of connection. But like any other nuts and bolts affair, they can and probably will loosen with time. And that is why I am strongly recommending (pretty much in the same sentence) to use some blue Loctite as well. Together, this will make it a VERY SAFE connection.

Got to say, though, ignoring that part of the quote makes your concern feel a tad manufactured.

PS: I guess you haven't seen yet what time and wear will do to those tail-ends-woven-back-into-the-strap straps for the SL. Frankly, it doesn't look all that smart anymore.

You might want to do a search on this forum for the thread that discussed how the word "quite" is interpreted in different parts of the world.  :p

In this particular part, "quite safe" implies a degree of unsafeness.

• Like 1

Hi!

Please advice your experience on the "Neck strap of Angel Pelle for Leica SL" (with SL 24-90 ASPH).

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by phongph

Harry (If I may),

The issue for me is simple, I don't want my $12k investment being secured by a set of $2 screws.  Loctite can give way over time, screw heads can crack and break off their posts; neither of which is easily discernible or noticeable until I have to file an insurance claim.  I can easily look and see if my strap is wearing to the point I need another.   Adding a drop of loctite didn't really factor in because it just makes the buyer feel it's yet another preventive measure we have to consider and be responsible for to make the connection 'safer'.  Don't get me wrong, I think your work looks wonderful and appears to be held in high regard.  I'm just simply stating two things:

1) I'm not comfortable with your functional design; visually your straps are beautiful.

2) Your website didn't really promote the connection was 'safe' ...just 'pretty safe'.   

Regards,

Marc

Well, I could simply say that English is my second language but that would be too easy of a response.

Instead, after some thought, I'd like to say the following.
After working for many years in advertising myself, I've got to say that from a marketing perspective you are correct: 'Pretty' is not a good word.

So, because I like to keep things simple and truthful, I will replace it with 'quite.'

Let's face it, chicago screws are a safe form of connection. But like any other nuts and bolts affair, they can and probably will loosen with time. And that is why I am strongly recommending (pretty much in the same sentence) to use some blue Loctite as well. Together, this will make it a VERY SAFE connection.

Got to say, though, ignoring that part of the quote makes your concern feel a tad manufactured.

PS: I guess you haven't seen yet what time and wear will do to those tail-ends-woven-back-into-the-strap straps for the SL. Frankly, it doesn't look all that smart anymore.

You might want to do a search on this forum for the thread that discussed how the word "quite" is interpreted in different parts of the world.  :p

In this particular part, "quite safe" implies a degree of unsafeness.

Harry (If I may),

The issue for me is simple, I don't want my $12k investment being secured by a set of $2 screws.  Loctite can give way over time, screw heads can crack and break off their posts; neither of which is easily discernible or noticeable until I have to file an insurance claim.  I can easily look and see if my strap is wearing to the point I need another.   Adding a drop of loctite didn't really factor in because it just makes the buyer feel it's yet another preventive measure we have to consider and be responsible for to make the connection 'safer'.  Don't get me wrong, I think your work looks wonderful and appears to be held in high regard.  I'm just simply stating two things:

1) I'm not comfortable with your functional design; visually your straps are beautiful.

2) Your website didn't really promote the connection was 'safe' ...just 'pretty safe'.   

Regards,

Marc

Okay, replacing a word with another one of obvious similar meaning was a (more or less) funny attempt to make light of an otherwise sad situation.

Maybe I should have treated this situation more seriously and with the due respect? Guess, guilty as charged.

Then again, wondering out loud why some people do over analyze every single word and discuss instead possible reasons for this kind of bad habit, like psychological wounds being touched on, low self esteem or simply worrying too much (which is a can of worms by itself) is rather depressing. I'm sure that like myself you, gentlemen, would find this very upsetting.

See, we do agree on something here.

Marc (If I may),

No offence intended but that issue of yours is ridiculous. How is that supposed to make me feel about my Leica M system? Also a 10+k investment, secured by a set of $0.60 split rings.

Alright, kidding aside. Frankly, it doesn't matter which one is the strap of your choice. Just use what you like and feel comfortable with. That's all that matters.

It would be nice, though, to refrain from creating problems where there are none only to justify one's choice to oneself and/or others.

Since I'm the one who's selling camera straps, it doesn't even matter if you believe any of my words. Only one thing is for sure: You can trust the many customers of mine who love their straps. Check out the testimonials on my website. Should you recognize a name or two, I'm certain they won't mind if you contact them directly.

• Like 2

Okay, replacing a word with another one of obvious similar meaning was a (more or less) funny attempt to make light of an otherwise sad situation.

Maybe I should have treated this situation more seriously and with the due respect? Guess, guilty as charged.

Then again, wondering out loud why some people do over analyze every single word and discuss instead possible reasons for this kind of bad habit, like psychological wounds being touched on, low self esteem or simply worrying too much (which is a can of worms by itself) is rather depressing. I'm sure that like myself you, gentlemen, would find this very upsetting.

I suspect you're the one over-analysing. I was attempting to help: not everyone is aware that words have different meanings on either side of the pond.

Harry,

I'm not sure it's fair to infer that I'm "causing problems".  The thread is asking for strap alternatives; I've simply contributed by stating the one I've decided on and more importantly, why.  What good is the former without the latter?  erudolph provided some very helpful info regarding the Genius, initially he just said he'd never use it again without saying why.  One now knows to be careful how you thread the tail into the strap.

I never said not to purchase your straps, that would be causing problems.  I just explained why I decided to go in one direction vs. the other based on the two most commonly discussed straps throughout this thread and the two I was considering for purchase.

I went with the the strap that, in my view, presents the least risk of termination failure when connected to the camera.  The forums are here for people to provide fair views and opinions that are (hopefully) reasonably thought out in order to cross reference other discussions they have read to make educated decisions.   

Thanks,

Marc

Marc (If I may),

No offence intended but that issue of yours is ridiculous. How is that supposed to make me feel about my Leica M system? Also a 10+k investment, secured by a set of $0.60 split rings.

Alright, kidding aside. Frankly, it doesn't matter which one is the strap of your choice. Just use what you like and feel comfortable with. That's all that matters.

It would be nice, though, to refrain from creating problems where there are none only to justify one's choice to oneself and/or others.

Since I'm the one who's selling camera straps, it doesn't even matter if you believe any of my words. Only one thing is for sure: You can trust the many customers of mine who love their straps. Check out the testimonials on my website. Should you recognize a name or two, I'm certain they won't mind if you contact them directly.

Edited by MT0227

I have one of Harry's brogue straps, still in its box as I'm currently using the Tie Her Up "Rock n Roll" strap (in red).  It's working so well for me at the moment, I'm not in a hurry to change.

That said, I have no reservations about Harry's strap.  It's beautifully made, and I will put a dab of loctite onto the screws as I do them up.

Edited by IkarusJohn

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

attachicon.gif15135919_10153865264480870_1542924888606710483_n.jpg

Anyone tried "4V Design - Camera straps".

They look very comfortable, well padded and broad.

attachicon.gif15241143_10153865264255870_1706817526110017589_n.jpg

Fang

Where did you see those mate? I'm looking for a strap for mine and was thinking of getting one of those AA straps the same as I have on my Hasselblad 503CW......I like the look of that one

Fang

Where did you see those mate? I'm looking for a strap for mine and was thinking of getting one of those AA straps the same as I have on my Hasselblad 503CW......I like the look of that one

Hi Neil,

You can get them from Riceball Photography Bookstore in Singapore. Check out their Facebook page. Call me when you back to KL ?

I was at B&H and gave it a look.  The tail ends that loop around the lugs seem a little light weight the way they are sewn into the leather.  The metal buckles which allow you to adjust the loop and keep it a loop are very thin.  I think the SL+ a lens is way to heavy and $$$ to trust this this strap.  I'd pass for the SL

Fang

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi Neil,

You can get them from Riceball Photography Bookstore in Singapore. Check out their Facebook page. Call me when you back to KL ?

Will do mate

• 7 months later...

I ended getting an Op/Tech Pro Strap 3/ 8". The flat webbing goes through the SL connector perfectly. It's adjustable, and the strap unhooks easily, both important for my needs.

https://optechusa.com/pro-strap.html 

$20 at B&H

Optech also makes loop connectors for $7. those you can thread through the SL mounting bars they will hold well, not scratch the body, and allow you to use straps you already have. ......maybe ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IN3RUE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1