Who likes the provided strap what alternatives are there ?

rfunnell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All very interesting Harry but I'm happy and I know something about that. :)

I'm uncomfortable with this thread now because it is becoming a promotional/advertising platform for you.

• Like 1

Harry, 

You may believe in "strap magic" I will continue to believe in mechanics and the rules of physics.

No matter how soft your leather is, I would doubt it is any softer than the braided silk I have on my Leicatime strap and I still would not dream of using it without the suede lined pad. 

Wilson

All very interesting Harry but I'm happy and I know something about that. :)

I'm uncomfortable with this thread now because it is becoming a promotional/advertising platform for you.

+1

In the end, Harry is an expert in his strap; I'm an expert in my straps and what I want them to be like.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I am not a big fan of pads. In my experience they does not help very much, and they have a tendency to prevent movement. If I have the camera on my side with the strap across my chest and over the opposite shoulder, the pad prevents the strap from following the camera movement when I raise the camera. Very annoying when the camera is half the way up to my eye, and it's suddenly stuck in the movement. Because of this I have sold all my padded strap.

Harry, 

You may believe in "strap magic" I will continue to believe in mechanics and the rules of physics.

No matter how soft your leather is, I would doubt it is any softer than the braided silk I have on my Leicatime strap and I still would not dream of using it without the suede lined pad. 

Wilson

I was as reluctant as you are. Tried one, bought one and am sold on the strap for use with my M. Will order now for the SL. 

• Like 1

Love it when we have choices.  If nothing else, it allows me to acquire ever more gear.  I sometimes feel like the Sorcerer's Apprentice:  I have just enough magic to make my gear pile continue to grow, but not enough to make it stop growing.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Harry, 

Wilson

Hmmm

Well....

i just spent a week in Cornwall, long walks every day. I'd just received my 90-280, so of course I used it.

ive been testing one of Harry's brogue SL straps, and whether magic or not I can confirm 2 things

1. It never dug into my shoulder

2. It never slipped off my shoulder. 

Thats 3 kg and lots of hours (and I also have bony shoulders)

right now im standing on Colchester station with a handsome dothebag bag containing the SL and the 24-90 and a 75 'lux. - it has a generous shoulder pad and it's hurting like hell!

• Like 6

Today I received a neck strap made for me by Angelo Pelle.  It is a style that he developed for the SL.  It is beautifully made and very comfortable.  It is the one on his site that he describes as grey and black.  There is no metal.  One of the features that I appreciate is that Angelo put a place to tuck in the final tab. It really annoys me when the end of the strap dangles around...that doesn't happen here.  I also have the feeling that it will not make me sweat in hot weather but I will have to wait to confirm that...if it ever does warm up here!

Mark

• Like 1

Today I received a neck strap made for me by Angelo Pelle.  It is a style that he developed for the SL.  It is beautifully made and very comfortable.  It is the one on his site that he describes as grey and black.  There is no metal.  One of the features that I appreciate is that Angelo put a place to tuck in the final tab. It really annoys me when the end of the strap dangles around...that doesn't happen here.  I also have the feeling that it will not make me sweat in hot weather but I will have to wait to confirm that...if it ever does warm up here!

Mark

I have it as well, and am very satisfied with it,

• Like 1

I found Harry's Brogue SL to be the pretiest SL strap on the market, however I didn't like the metal part near the body, so I didn't order it. One night he emailed me that he came up with something to cover up the metal part, asked for pic, I ordered it right away!  ;)

I ordered the TieHerUp strap for the SL (not the Rock'n'Roll one, the other one) and I find I am too nervous to trust a camera and lens  (24-90) this heavy to something that doesn't attach as firmly as the Leica-provided one does.

Reading this thread, and going to Harry's site, I found his reasoning compelling, and the strap looks gorgeous.  So ordered one! Will report in. 

I found Harry's Brogue SL to be the pretiest SL strap on the market, however I didn't like the metal part near the body, so I didn't order it. One night he emailed me that he came up with something to cover up the metal part, asked for pic, I ordered it right away!  ;)

Just got my strap from Harry a couple of days ago!  Love it!  As an extra he added to leather covered screws as alternative to the uncovered metal screws.  Waiting for the handgrip from Leica to be available.  Should balance body and lenses better.  Understand that availability is delayed to autumn this year.