Who likes the provided strap what alternatives are there ?

rfunnell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The metal is inside. The housing is plastic. Had never problems with scratching on any of my cameras. I think, it is a very smart system. One can easily remove the strap for tripod work or exchange it with a wriststrap......

I bought one of these thinking it would be good, but that metal clasp is a catastrophe - scratching the LCD on the back - especially problematic when putting the camera in a bag . . . . No Metal is my rule!

Ross, 

They are not actually available as yet or on the website, as I am the test customer for this strap. If you want to order from Luigi, you could ask for him to make one like Wilson is having for his SL. If you are ordering a non-adjustable one, like I am having, you need to specify what length you would like. I think he and/or Ginevra may be away on holiday at the moment, as they have not replied to my progress request of a couple of weeks ago or to my suggestion of making a hand grip strap. 

Wilson

Wilson, thank you for contacting Luigi.  I don't have my SL yet but I am very partial to Luigi and in fact to the same silk strap. Would you please let us know when Luigi has delivered his prototype to you.  Thanks.

Wilson, thank you for contacting Luigi.  I don't have my SL yet but I am very partial to Luigi and in fact to the same silk strap. Would you please let us know when Luigi has delivered his prototype to you.  Thanks.

Given that I am paying for it, I hope it will be the finished article rather than a rough prototype but certainly Alan, I will post a photo on this thread when it finally arrives. I know, I know, you can't rush a craftsman. It is a bit like the black Rollei leather for my Leica 1931 1© Standard, to replace the patina-ed original vulcanite, that a repairer decided would be a good idea to restore by painting it with gloss black enamel. Morgan at Cameraleather has now been "working on" the cover for over a year now. 

Wilson

While the provided strap works quite well, it isn't exactly as elegant as the SL.  I ended up buying a 4V strap for my new baby, and am very pleased with it.  It's wide enough at the top and padded enough to support the weight of the SL + 24-90 without discomfort, and the backing is extremely tacky which keeps it from falling down the shoulder.  I like it a lot, but I've only used it for a few days so far.

- Jared

I have a black/silver "Silky" SL strap on order from Luigi at Leicatime. This is a part synthetic silver silk braid and part black leather with a red suede lined leather pad. I use a similar one but with ring end fittings on my M240. It is very comfortable to have wrapped round your hand in comparison to the Leica straps, for when you want to carry the camera like that. Although the SL strap is nothing like as unpleasant as the M Leica straps, with their hard rubber scouring pad to wear away your neck, like Jono, I don't like the feel of synthetic material against my neck. I am also using a Case Logic hand grip strap, which helps stabilise the camera in your hand well and makes one handed operation possible but it is a rather cheap floppy bit of kit. I hope Luigi will take up my suggestion and make a suede lined leather alternative. 

Wilson

I have had some emails with Luigi and Ginevra in the last few days and they are recommending their new "Genius" strap that has no metal for the SL.  While they will make a Silky (it will take 15 days they say), they think it will not look as nice as the Genius.  I think they are making a hand loop too, but the website remains a bit dense to navigate.  Wilson, if you have gotten a Silky, what do you think? 

I have had some emails with Luigi and Ginevra in the last few days and they are recommending their new "Genius" strap that has no metal for the SL.  While they will make a Silky (it will take 15 days they say), they think it will not look as nice as the Genius.  I think they are making a hand loop too, but the website remains a bit dense to navigate.  Wilson, if you have gotten a Silky, what do you think? 

Still waiting and no replies to my emails to either Luigi or Ginevra. 

• 5 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My "Silky" strap finally arrived from Luigi at Leicatime today and was well worth the wait. Usual immaculate workmanship from Luigi and should be a considerable advance in comfort from the standard strap, both round my neck, with the suede lining of the pad or with the silky part wrapped round my hand. Only problem was getting the strap for the Case Logic hand grip strap into the strap lug on the camera, as well as the Leicatime strap, without damaging either. I have not done an "all-dayer" yet with this camera to see if over a whole day, the Case Logic strap continues to be a useful tool or becomes an irritation.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

That's a nice idea Pete

But my problem was not that the lug was damaged,  but that the split ring from my nice A&A silk strap caught the corner of the SL, scratching the black chrome. Although I'm thinking about something else which might solve that problem too

If you want an A&A silk cord strap, this is the one to get for the SL: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1099060-REG/artisan_artist_aaacam305red_acam_305_silk_cord_for.html

• Like 1

My "Silky" strap finally arrived from Luigi at Leicatime today and was well worth the wait. Usual immaculate workmanship from Luigi and should be a considerable advance in comfort from the standard strap, both round my neck, with the suede lining of the pad or with the silky part wrapped round my hand. Only problem was getting the strap for the Case Logic hand grip strap into the strap lug on the camera, as well as the Leicatime strap, without damaging either. I have not done an "all-dayer" yet with this camera to see if over a whole day, the Case Logic strap continues to be a useful tool or becomes an irritation.

That silky looks nice! 

I tried the Case Logic hand strap, but later opted for this one from Op/Tech:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759986-REG/OP_TECH_USA_6701232_E_Z_Grip_Strap_Black.html

It's a bit bulkier, but much more comfortable. Both work well with the RRS tripod plate. 

I have gotten the fully lined Genius strap from Luigi.   I didn't care for the connectors on the silky, but straps are a very personal thing, both on comfort and aesthetics.   This strap is wide and comfortable.  I had him make it a bit longer than standard.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

A note of caution . . 

If you use a strap with a ring, then it's likely to twist around and scratch the corner of the body (I know this, because I did it!).

I don't like the feel of neoprene.

Luigi makes a great strap (Leicatime)

Evris is also finishing off what looks like a promising strap (Tie Her Up).

I'm hoping to test out Evris' Rock and Roll strap in the next week or so (and I'll report back then).

I've just ordered a red 125cm Rock n Roll strap

The standard strap didn't bother me too much, but it wasn't really up to the standard of the rest of the camera as Alan observed.  I bought the Leica leather strap as an interim measure.  It's a reasonably plain back which is nice - the red Rock n Roll will be a bit of fun ...

• Like 1

I am amazed that you all spend so much time thinking about straps and worrying about scratching your cameras.  The cameras are tools, simple as that.  Unlike Leica's film camera, these digital cameras will not hold their value.  Technology is changing too quickly.  Please do yourself a favor and use your cameras.  These are not museum pieces, as much as you think they might be.  Leica certainly wants you to think that.  But just go out and take photos.  Make great images.  Scratch your cameras, dent them, bang them up.  But use them for what they were meant to do.

Edited by dwphoto

I am amazed that you all spend so much time thinking about straps and worrying about scratching your cameras.  The cameras are tools, simple as that.  Unlike Leica's film camera, these digital cameras will not hold their value.  Technology is changing too quickly.  Please do yourself a favor and use your cameras.  These are not museum pieces, as much as you think they might be.  Leica certainly wants you to think that.  But just go out and take photos.  Make great images.  Scratch your cameras, dent them, bang them up.  But use them for what they were meant to do.

Sheesh. When I spend this amount of money on a camera, I intend to use it for many years and I don't give a darn what it's residual value is at all. The SL produces image quality and has capabilities that far outstrip anything I've ever needed in the past 52 years of photography ... I see no reason to consider it a short term purchase at all, and it will likely be working for me just as long as my M4-2 and Leicaflex SL will, if not longer. I doubt I'll ever sell any of them, regardless of how technology changes. 

I am not worried about putting marks on the camera at all, but I want a comfortable strap for it to guard against dropping it and also to make it a pleasure to use. Is that so hard to understand? 

• Like 3

Bla bla bla. How often have we heard this - yawn.

The way your camera tool interfaces with yourself is an integral part of the process. If you find the standard strap uncomfortable (I do) and unusable to carry the camera with the strap wrapped round your hand, then a comfortable new strap is an essential not a luxury. I don't mollycoddle my cameras but I do try and look after them. Especially with an RF body, if you sling them about to the extent they get dented, you will almost certainly knock the RF out of alignment. 

Wilson

PS if you don't like the subject matter of a thread or it irritates you, why on earth read it and post criticising the people who do find it interesting. Move on. 

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 10

A good workman looks after his tools ...... 

Lack of care and respect for fine instruments and equipment says a lot about a workmans' attitude to the work he is doing ......  :mellow:

Agree, camera indeed is a tool but if you have passion and love about that tool it makes you want to carry everywhere and shoot!

Move on..

I have gotten the fully lined Genius strap from Luigi.   I didn't care for the connectors on the silky, but straps are a very personal thing, both on comfort and aesthetics.   This strap is wide and comfortable.  I had him make it a bit longer than standard.

Looks beautiful, I decided to give it a try. I also requested a longer than standard version ... I like to use the neck strap bandolier style.