The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

LUF Admin

Lots of negativity here. I think the camera looks nice. I think the frustration is why Leica just does not build the regular M the way most people seem to like it - without Red dot. It would not cost a lot more to use a chrome screw instead of a red sticker

• Like 4

Lots of negativity here. I think the camera looks nice. I think the frustration is why Leica just does not build the regular M the way most people seem to like it - without Red dot. It would not cost a lot more to use a chrome screw instead of a red sticker

Because that's the way it's always been done. Ken Rockwell may be a muppet, but he's right on the money this time:

"23 August 2014, Saturday

NEU: LEICA M-P typ 240 in black; also in silver.

Leica has made the usual midlife update of the M typ 240 by replacing the plastic LCD cover with sapphire, taking off some of the front trim I tape over, and adding a "-P" to the name.

No big deal; it's the same camera, but the LEICAMAN will own it because it is who he is.

LEICA always does this: the first camera has a plastic LCD cover, and a few years later the P model comes out with the sapphire cover so everyone gets that, too. No big deal to those work is unworthy of the LEICA, but for men who own LEICA, a must-have.

The LEICAMAN is a man for whom no detail is too small. Every LEICAMAN knows that the LEICA M-P is the new digital camera, while the LEICA MP is a modern mechanical 35mm camera that reuses the model name from the world's first LEICA MP, which is a version of the LEICA M3, the best camera LEICA has ever made. The LEICAMAN immediately perceives the dash or no dash, while lesser men might confuse the two. It is precisely this instantaneous recognition of the smallest details, and knowing intuitivly what to do with that information, which separate the LEICAMAN from the rest."

Ken Rockwell's Photography Updates

It's all in the Minutia :)

Leica are playing to the "Must have the latest crowd" -- spend on Leicafarians..

Soon you will be able to purchase 2 Leica's in One box.. One with the Red Dot, and No screw and One with a Big Screw" and No Red Dot.. The stick on Name labels. i.e. M-P//MP-//-MP

will be Free in each box........ They make em" and we do buyEm'' ;)

Because that's the way it's always been done. Ken Rockwell may be a muppet, but he's right on the money this time:

"23 August 2014, Saturday

NEU: LEICA M-P typ 240 in black; also in silver.

Leica has made the usual midlife update of the M typ 240 by replacing the plastic LCD cover with sapphire, taking off some of the front trim I tape over, and adding a "-P" to the name.

No big deal; it's the same camera, but the LEICAMAN will own it because it is who he is.

LEICA always does this: the first camera has a plastic LCD cover, and a few years later the P model comes out with the sapphire cover so everyone gets that, too. No big deal to those work is unworthy of the LEICA, but for men who own LEICA, a must-have.

The LEICAMAN is a man for whom no detail is too small. Every LEICAMAN knows that the LEICA M-P is the new digital camera, while the LEICA MP is a modern mechanical 35mm camera that reuses the model name from the world's first LEICA MP, which is a version of the LEICA M3, the best camera LEICA has ever made. The LEICAMAN immediately perceives the dash or no dash, while lesser men might confuse the two. It is precisely this instantaneous recognition of the smallest details, and knowing intuitivly what to do with that information, which separate the LEICAMAN from the rest."

Ken Rockwell's Photography Updates

Is he on the money? My bet is that the only M240 owners who will trade their camera for this one will be those for whom the larger buffer is of prime importance. Just his usual blowing bubbles and clowning.

I'm gobsmacked at the commotion. It is just the usual facelift for the last year's run. Just about every maker of technical products from toasters and ironing boards to passenger jets does this. Why not Leica?:confused:

I'm sure the marketing department is delighted at all the hot air on the internet:rolleyes:

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 3

Is he on the money? My bet is that the only M240 owners who will trade their camera for this one will be those for whom the larger buffer is of prime importance. Just his usual blowing bubbles and clowning.

I'm gobsmacked at the commotion. It is just the usual facelift for the last year's run. Just about every maker of technical products from toasters and ironing boards to passenger jets does this. Why not Leica?:confused:

I'm sure the marketing department is delighted at all the hot air on the internet:rolleyes:

Yes, in my view, he is bang on the money! The M240, an already very expensive camera, should have been fitted with a sapphire screen from the get go. I'm not aware of any other camera maker that works this way with their flagship products. Once an improvement is developed, it is rolled out in all future products.

Edited by Ozkar

My bet is that the only M240 owners who will trade their camera for this one will be those for whom the larger buffer is of prime importance.

I wouldn't be so sure. Many jumped at the chance to 'upgrade' from the M9 to the M9-P, and that was (as I recall) a $1200 US cost for cosmetic changes and sapphire screen. While there hasn't been any indication of an upgrade route here, a lot will depend on how much dealers charge for customer exchanges.

I wouldn't be surprised, if the P version isn't a big seller, that Leica announces a partial upgrade program (or an a la carte purchase) of the new top plate and sapphire screen, and maybe the frame selector if that's not a weather sealing problem.

Some things never change.

Jeff

• Like 1

Yes, in my view, he is bang on the money!

And so are you. Say what they will about Mr. Rockwell but The Leicaman is a brilliant creation. He certainly exists in reality, somewhere, keeps a couple pairs of Ultravids on his cigarette boat. In Photography Leica might be unique in this regard, in the ranks of Harry Winston, Blackglama, Maybach and others, Leica knows branding.

But is the damn camera worth it? It's your money, you decide. The majority of Bresson's images were garbage. Besides the camera it's what we have in common with him. :D

Log off and go take pictures. That's what I tell myself.

s-a

Too bad. I was watching for a "P" version of the 240 - but Leica missed with both barrels.

The next Leica M I buy will have:

- available black CHROME finish, not paint.

- restoration of large natural-light illumination window for the frame lines (LEDs can remain for optional use).

Any time Leica wants to provide those, they can have my money. Otherwise, not.

• Like 4

Too bad. I was watching for a "P" version of the 240 - but Leica missed with both barrels.

- restoration of large natural-light illumination window for the frame lines (LEDs can remain for optional use).

So there's room for à la carte versions, including 0.58 and 0.85 viewfinders.

You mean you don't want to spend $8000 ($1000 for mostly cosmetic reasons) for a discreet camera only to have the paint wear off the edges of the camera in 12 months? (Please interpret as sarcasm).

I agree - buying a painted camera is a bad idea if one expects to use the camera and the finish to be durable. If one is purchasing the camera just to look at - then the black paint is really of no concern.

Edited by lm_user

I do believe that the future for Leica will be customized cameras.

• Unibody - Choice your metal and finish
  • Dials and levers - Choice of metal and finish
  • Sensor - CMOS, CCD
  • Sensor options - Color, BW, Infrared
  • Viewfinder - Electronic, mechanical
  • Engraving - Standard, A-la-carte, Designer (Limited Edition)
  • Cases - Leather, special materials
  • Box - Standard, Limited Edition
  • Price - Expensive or ++++

You mean you don't want to spend $8000 ($1000 for mostly cosmetic reasons) for a discreet camera only to have the paint wear off the edges of the camera in 12 months? (Please interpret as sarcasm).

I agree - buying a painted camera is a bad idea if one expects to use the camera and the finish to be durable. If one is purchasing the camera just to look at - then the black paint is really of no concern.

Many long time Leica users are rather fond of brassed black paint cameras.

As it is I prefer it over scuffed crhrome.

In the end I couldn't care less. If a camera is too expensive to use for fear of cosmetic damage, one would be a fool to buy it. I'm of to the photoforums now; much more Leica content over there than Mr. K R trying to be P.G.Wodehouse.

Edited by jaapv

...restoration of large natural-light illumination window for the frame lines...

Why so if i may ask? We will never get these (inferior to me) optical framelines any more i'm afraid. The next move should be 100% electric framelines i suspect buy i may be wrong.

• Like 1