The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

LUF Admin

I like the red dot

/Flame resistant suit on/

I am not a great fan of the red dot but IMHO that screw on the M-P is hideous and even worse than the red dot. It looks like exactly what it is: a kludge to cover the hole that the red dot covered. But kludges are not solutions. They are kludges. I guess they need the hole for RF adjustment but how about something better looking to cover it? What would have been wrong with a black dot, for example?

• Like 1

I've been putting off buying another Leica DRF but now they have created the P for professional version there is even less of a reason not to buy.

I was going to spend some of the money on a new A7s but... who needs an iso-range above 6400 anyway?

LouisB

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been putting off buying another Leica DRF but now they have created the P for professional version there is even less of a reason not to buy.

I was going to spend some of the money on a new A7s but... who needs an iso-range above 6400 anyway?

LouisB

Lots of sports shooters in dimly lit arenas!

But you knew the red dot was hiding a screw, no? Also the slightly bigger red dot (compared to the M9) was a dead giveaway that the screw might be bigger as well. People wanted Leica to remove that red dot and they got what they wanted – like Bluebeard’s wife when she opened the door to the forbidden room …

It seems there is a pic here that prove that.

What would have been wrong with a black dot, for example?

The last and only 'official' one, and the last that will come from Leica, was on the (black body only) M8.2. The 'powers that be' apparently weren't thrilled with Leica's messing around with the company's red logo….so it's red, or nothing….or a screw….or….

I got my own black dots from DAG, $28 for a chrome M8.2, and $42 for a black M240…but the 'M' is still there. It's my only concession to any M accessory*….just because. If either goes to service, though, I'll be fortunate if it doesn't come back red again.

(*) Others who scoff at this like to instead 'dress up' their M's with straps and buttons and leathers and cases, etc….for functional and/or aesthetic reasons. I prefer mine naked... with a black dot. That sounds wrong (but so does the title here….discreet, harder, faster…maybe a screw is appropriate).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

The last and only 'official' one, and the last that will come from Leica, was on the (black body only) M8.2. The 'powers that be' apparently weren't thrilled with Leica's messing around with the company's red logo….so it's red, or nothing….or a screw….or….

I got my own black dots from DAG, $28 for a chrome M8.2, and $42 for a black M240…but the 'M' is still there. It's my only concession to any M accessory….just because. If either goes to service, though, I'll be fortunate if it doesn't come back red again.

Jeff

It does, but the black dot is returned intact as well.

Leica only leases the logo, and are not allowed to apply a dot in any colour but red.

• Like 2

I think that is a trade-in programme for owners of any M system camera body and is probably a trade-in against the standard M typ 240 not the new M-P.

The Leica Mayfair blurb states they will give a credit note when you trade in any M series camera for 'the latest Leica M (typ 240)' ..... errr..... which is this one ........

I may try them out with my old M9 and M9P and see what they what they say ......:rolleyes:

More like hohum if one understands what is behind it. If one ever adjusted the vertical alignment this is a welcome change, especially with the new mechanism.

I did it yesterday on my Monochrom ...... took 10 minutes ...... but there again I have the magic tool .....;)

Now you just need a screwdriver ..... and it still takes just 10 minutes ...... :rolleyes:

The Leica Mayfair blurb states they will give a credit note when you trade in any M series camera for 'the latest Leica M (typ 240)' ..... errr..... which is this one ........

I may try them out with my old M9 and M9P and see what they what they say ......:rolleyes:

You'll have to wait till the official introduction on Sept 19th, I guess.:o