The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

LUF Admin

Underwhelmed .........

Cannot see the point of this ....... if it's trying to breathe a bit more life into a mature product then it's a pretty poor attempt ......

God knows where they get the 'professional' bit from ......:rolleyes:

.... now if you tell me the EVF black-out has gone and start-up is now instantaneous ... then we're talking ......

I totally agree that if the EVF black-out after exposure issue was solved this would then be an operational upgrade worth talking about. I find this to be the most annoying thing about the M when in EVF mode and means that you can't really use the camera for any action type work with it.

1.As for the other upgrades my 'gorilla' glass hasn't got a scratch after a year and a half.

2.'Discreet' mode achieved with a small bottle of acetone to remove red paint from the leica dot and white paint from the M (chrome model) on a black M a couple of bits of electrical tape would create same effect

3. M is already fast enough for me even in continuous mode I find the frame rate to be just about right,

4. frameline lever doesn't bother me

So all in all a very expensive upgrade for not a lot gained in photographic and operational terms

• Like 3

So, it appears we will need to wait for the M360 in order to get a body that supports a market-level EVF such as the Visoflex?

Of course, by then (M360 arrival), the Visoflex will no be a market-level EVF. :confused:..

By that time (possibly next year ) you guys will be hammering Leica for using an outdated EVF like the Visoflex...:rolleyes:

This is just the regular facelift that Leica always does after two years. I do not think they have the illusion that it holds much attraction for current M owners, as they do not seem to offer their usual upgrade service.

If they run true to form, the real surprise is still ahead for Photokina. Let's wait and see.

Where is my M Digital Pure, CCD sensor, all black, 15% lighter, 1-2mm slimmer, dedicated iso dial, state of the art EVF, no movie mode?

In Wolkenkuckucksland.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 3

Where is my M Digital Pure, CCD sensor, all black, 15% lighter, 1-2mm slimmer, dedicated iso dial, state of the art EVF, no movie mode?

Wherever it is, it is not in Leica’s plans …

You are aware of the fact that CCD and EVF are mutually exclusive?

• Like 4

Leica knew all along from the very start what the 'P' would be, and made sure there were enough things to have minor grumbles about with the M240 to ensure a later 'upgrade' would be snapped up by the gullible. They did exactly the same with the M9 and M9-P so don't tell me they haven't had this strategy planned from the M240's first prototype.

Don’t know about Leica but after the introduction of the M (Typ 240) there were speculations here in this forum how an M-P (Typ whatever) might look like and these speculations did roughly correspond to what Leica now released.

• Like 2

I don't understand why people are so unhappy with the M-P. It's not supposed to be the M 360, just a stripped back version of the current model and it has twice the RAM which is a really great and quite surprising upgrade. I'm also glad to see the frame selector back. It's a common tactic by companies to reinvigorate sales, hardly any sort of conspiracy. I always thought I would be more inclined to buy the 240 when they introduced the P version.

Also regarding upgrades, they already announced an upgrade program which I'm guessing applies to this and rather than a part swap is an entire camera swap.

There is also a rumour for a Ltd Edition without the LCD and movie mode for Photokina. Who know's if it's true but the fact that Leica have announced this M-P prior to Photokina is very interesting. I'm also guessing there is a Titan too.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also regarding upgrades, they already announced an upgrade program which I'm guessing applies to this and rather than a part swap is an entire camera swap.

I think that is a trade-in programme for owners of any M system camera body and is probably a trade-in against the standard M typ 240 not the new M-P.

• Like 1

to stop the cynical milking of products Steve

Well said!

But perhaps Leica depends on every extra buck they can make that way, if "regular" demand at the required price level is not enough. It helps to keep the company and its products alive, even for the greedy private equity firms. All collectors will want to buy a second M (-P). All thick enthusiasts will want to replace their M with the newest, even if only slightly better M. They Sultan of Tomuchistan wants 777 golden M with engraved ornaments as give away present for his fourth wedding? The Iceland Leica club wants a version for the club's 11th anniversary covered in seal fur? Give it to them!

I don't understand why people are so unhappy with the M-P. ..........

I'd much rather that Leica cut out the late-release P- version which does little other than reduce the resale value of the current camera, and instead offer the P as an extra-cost option alongside the standard camera right from from the outset.

I suspect many of those who prefer its look would have paid extra for it when they bought their M, but won't now buy the P version at all. So Leica may even be losing potential revenue revenue by delaying the P in the belief that it revitalises sales in the last year of the product cycle.

• Like 3

I don't understand why people are so unhappy with the M-P. It's not supposed to be the M 360, just a stripped back version of the current model …. It's a common tactic by companies to reinvigorate sales, hardly any sort of conspiracy.

There is nothing wrong with trying to reinvigorate sales – and I'm also all in favour of slower product cycles and people making longer use of the things they buy – but it is the cynical (and rather tediously predictable) manner in which Leica have gone about this M-P "upgrade". I think Steve has explained it best – most companies introduce their top of the line product first and then introduce technology from that product into more affordable products after a period of time. When it's done this way, no-one really complains. Leica seem to prefer to irritate those customers who buy the initial flagship product and, at the same time, offer nothing for those hoping to buy something more affordable as the technology in the that product ages.

IMO it would look less cynical if Leica had introduced a v.2 of the typ 240 that had genuine hardware improvements other than the increased buffer size – for example, made the camera compatible with the latest generation EVF technology and addressed some of the annoying stuff that owners have reported when using the camera in liveview mode, etc. Instead, Leica are really just offering a camera that looks a bit nicer than the last one and charging more for it. If they have a better way of indicating that they think their customers are mugs I can't think of one.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3

I find some of the comments here quite surprising. Perhaps it's a boring Friday at work.

I don't think there is anything cynical about this. It's a nice special edition for those who want it.

Additionally due to the price increase I doubt it will cause any change to the resale value of the M240.

We should remind ourselves that buying digital cameras for an investment is fools work in any event.

I also appreciated that Leica decided there were two hardware additions which could be made in-situ to the model and decided to implement them. Good for them.

For me this is an inconsequential addition which is a nice addition to the range without requiring more then 5 mins of thought.

• Like 2

As pointed out by others, this is typical of modern product cycles, accelerated by being a digital product. It's not going to change. People everywhere, pros and proles alike, take fabulous pictures with the full line-up of cameras from both Canon and Nikon and the others. There is no reason that won't happen with Leica's offerings, the big screw not withstanding. As for Leica's "mistakes" one might have noticed Nikon is having a bit of trouble releasing product these days, and it's bigger than cosmetic. That's what they get for being forced onto the digital treadmill, they and all the others (that includes Leica). That's the nature of the beast and it's not going away.

If folks would just buy the real MP, the design of which is pretty much written in stone, they could stop all this rending of garments and get to the real meat of this thread; what about Bluebeard and this secret room? ;)

s-a

I find some of the comments here quite surprising. Perhaps it's a boring Friday at work.

I don't think there is anything cynical about this. It's a nice special edition for those who want it.

Additionally due to the price increase I doubt it will cause any change to the resale value of the M240.

We should remind ourselves that buying digital cameras for an investment is fools work in any event.

I also appreciated that Leica decided there were two hardware additions which could be made in-situ to the model and decided to implement them. Good for them.

For me this is an inconsequential addition which is a nice addition to the range without requiring more then 5 mins of thought.

I quite agree. Leica doesn't behave like the other larger camera companies. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes we complain. But their business model seems to be doing okay, and in the long run these editions, like the bling special editions, are to be expected. I too am not interested in this "upgrade' as it is not enough of a change from the base M240. Had they provided for a VF-4 with eye recognition I would have thought differently as I would have considered that a consequential change. Now I will have to wait for the successor to the M240.

Funny how Leica seems to understand that hardly anybody wants the ugly red dot on the front of their camera. So they introduce a new improved model (M) and then later announce a small improvement on that, for a mere $1,000 more, and one of the few benefits of the higher priced model is the lack of a red dot.

If you just can't stand the red dot, how about a $40 fix rather than a $1000 fix?

12mm Black Leica Logo for M-240 Camera - DAG Camera Parts

Someone commented on the ugliness of the chrome ring on the back of the black M240. I did not care for this in the beginning, but it no longer bothers me nowadays. My main styling objection was the orange dot on the front of my camera; it is not Leica red but is sort of an orange/red. This was a little irritating, but it is apparently an acquired taste as it is no longer an issue for me. I had considered getting a black dot from DAG to replace the orange/red logo, but now that seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Some have decried the size of the Leica logo on the front of the M240. Compared to the logos on the front of Nikon and Canon cameras, I would say it is tastefully sized (to my eye at least).

Bottom line: If you are fortunate enough to be an M240 owner, you have precious little to moan about, orange dot and chrome ring included. Dispense with the PMS and enjoy this magnificent little machine. Holy Moses, get out and make some images! :D

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

Don’t know about Leica but after the introduction of the M (Typ 240) there were speculations here in this forum how an M-P (Typ whatever) might look like and these speculations did roughly correspond to what Leica now released.

Of course….that's consistent with Steve's view, and was entirely predictable. Anyone paying attention to Leica's marketing could see this coming and come fairly close to an accurate pic well in advance.

Anyone who buys a new M model and doesn't consider likely timing of a subsequent new or 'tweaked' model either doesn't care or isn't paying attention.

I agree with Peter; there should be choices from the outset, even if some come at extra cost. If additional changes come about through known issues or customer feedback, that's another matter.

Jeff

I agree that Leica has an approach that is pretty predictable and seems to work for them. And, I'm glad as I am heavily invested in Leica gear and I want them to be successful!

Their incremental updates are not dissimilar to other companies (witness the Nikon D600 and D610). Of course, the big difference is that Leica releases an updated model AND then increases the price on the old model!

Leica M 240 price increase coming on September 1st | Leica News & Rumors