The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I didn't expect that big screw in the front instead of the Leica dot.:D

But you knew the red dot was hiding a screw, no? Also the slightly bigger red dot (compared to the M9) was a dead giveaway that the screw might be bigger as well. People wanted Leica to remove that red dot and they got what they wanted – like Bluebeard’s wife when she opened the door to the forbidden room …

• Like 6

But you knew the red dot was hiding a screw, no? Also the slightly bigger red dot (compared to the M9) was a dead giveaway that the screw might be bigger as well. People wanted Leica to remove that red dot and they got what they wanted – like Bluebeard’s wife when she opened the door to the forbidden room …

Those that upgrade to the new M-P that are using tape to cover their Red dot Leica can use the same tape to cover the screw! :p

• Like 8

We are about two years into a typical three years product cycle so the announcement of the next generation M is probably another year off. Surely you did not expect a revolutionary new product after just two years?

Surely the "T" is Leica's revolutionary product..

Small step upgrades on the M range is good... its a pick-N-choose line up..

A good idea re:- leaving off the Red Dot.. Not too keen on the big screw facing the front..

Surely a small black L covering the screw would have looked good! but what do I know!!

(wifey says absolutely No more Leicas...:eek:) - she hid Uncle Amex...:D

I still prefer my screw.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

The 2 gig buffer is quite nice for working pros who need the speed, there have been times when the buffer on my M9 just can not keep up. If I was in the market for a new digital M this would be the obvious choice for me, but for M( is still working fine luckily.

I have the m240. If I did not have it, and was given the choice, I would not spend the extra $1000. I had an m9p and kept a screen protector on it anyway; just one of those stick on thin covers that I replaced every few months.

I am really happy with the 240. Now if the next M is a 36 megapixel , well that might be very tempting. :)

Much nicer looking P version.

Obviously Leica couldn't produce M-P with smaller screw as you got there first, where do we order?

They have a little screw on my M no dash P. It'll cost you $4,995, the price tag from B&H Photo.

This is the real Leica MP that they could have release, but for some reason they can't and have forgotten how to design a true Leica camera.

It is such a simple spec!

By default a normal standard Leica Digital Rangefinder should have just these

- Remove the movie button

- Remove the external viewfinder port behind, it is a hole and any hole is ugly

- Add back frameline selector

- Does not care LCD glass

- Do care LCD quality

- Do care high ISO (quite a basic request)

- Please give me engraving on top (almost all ppl like it)

Such a strange sentiment long lost on Leica's hierarchy :(

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Interesting. I didn't know the ugly big Leica dot was bigger because of practical reasons, i.e. the bigger screw behind it. Is the screw also bigger because of practical reasons? Let me guess: it's because the hole is bigger?

From what I understand the screw covers the access to the vertical rangefinder adjustment. Has this changed in such a way that a bigger tool is needed?

I guess basically what I am asking is whether there is a practical reason for this cosmetic flaw (both the screw and the dot)?

Edited by pieterpronk

I think you need your head examining to go along with this cynical marketing.

Leica knew all along from the very start what the 'P' would be, and made sure there were enough things to have minor grumbles about with the M240 to ensure a later 'upgrade' would be snapped up by the gullible. They did exactly the same with the M9 and M9-P so don't tell me they haven't had this strategy planned from the M240's first prototype.

Which raises the question we should all consider come the new M360 (or whatever), and that is Leica won't consider it a professional version of the camera. The professional version will come later, so early adopters get an amateur camera. So you can ignore any marketing that the M360 is pro spec, it will be a lie, the real pro camera is already designed and waiting to be released as the M360-P, .....one year before it's replacement.

Would Canon or Nikon release the professional version after the amateur version? A new sensor would go in the highest spec camera and the next model would be a trickle down of technology from that, a cheaper amateur/enthusiast model. This is because their pro customers expect to use the camera for a long time before the next model, not for just a year before a genuine 'upgrade' comes along. Which also tells you what the Leica marketing department think about professionals never mind the cynicism they show towards mere enthusiasts.

The only upgrade needed is in the Leica marketing and product planing departments, to stop the cynical milking of products and make them the best they can in the first place, then make a cheaper version if sales flag, not the other way around.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 17

IF I was buying new now I'd consider the M-P but I wouldn't replace my M with an M-P.

I may upgrade my old M9 but at this stage I'll wait for the next M iteration.

It is a bit like whether one is on the initial Apple iPhone or iPhone S upgrade cycle.

• Like 2