The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Compared to the M9 upgrade they pushed few more options in there but as the M9 upgrade I don't see improvements in the everyday shooting or image quality.. I just like the look and the fact that I don't have to put screen protectors on the LCD.

Is there any upgrade announced? Based on new features it makes me think "no"

I think it's a pity they had to use a chipboard screw on the front instead of the (presumably) more expensive screw used on the real MP. I guess this saving means the camera will be considerably cheaper than the standard model though - so that's a bonus! ;)

(Aaaaargh - I see my Helsinki comrade beat me to it...)

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that there was a time many years ago now that Leica were about to ditch all rangefinder cameras. I remember being seriously upset. However I am passed my sell by date so I may be wrong in this recollection but I am sure if I am someone will correct me. So it pleases me greatly to see the rangefinder concept still with us and being further refined. Strength to their combined elbows I say. I was delighted to own an IIIc, enjoyed even more the M3, moved onto a higher plane with the M6, embraced digitality with the M8 which came complete with a digital darkroom and set photography for me on fire and finally traded it in for a full frame M9P. I could never track my grand-daughter age two using M video since no auto focus but the D-LUX 6 does that and macro to perfection.

So, Leica, keep up the good work, Oscar would be delighted...

• Like 3

When is Leica going to slim down this camera, and thus also make it lighter? I could understand the bulk of the first digital M might have been justified in light of the technology of the time, but things have moved on. The film Leicas are much easier to hold and handle--if you've never tried one, you should.

Also, I wonder why the frame change mechanism is a knob off the top plate, instead of the lever on the front as in the film Leicas. The lever was easy to handle and an up-conversion could be done without replacing the top plate. I assume the new frame knob is an electric switch but the "lever" could easily be a switch too.

When is Leica going to slim down this camera, and thus also make it lighter? I could understand the bulk of the first digital M might have been justified in light of the technology of the time, but things have moved on. The film Leicas are much easier to hold and handle--if you've never tried one, you should.

Also, I wonder why the frame change mechanism is a knob off the top plate, instead of the lever on the front as in the film Leicas. The lever was easy to handle and an up-conversion could be done without replacing the top plate. I assume the new frame knob is an electric switch but the "lever" could easily be a switch too.

Until and unless I'm missing something, the pictures clearly show the frameline selector on the front?

• Like 1

Funny how Leica seems to understand that hardly anybody wants the ugly red dot on the front of their camera. So they introduce a new improved model (M) and then later announce a small improvement on that, for a mere $1,000 more, and one of the few benefits of the higher priced model is the lack of a red dot.

Maybe I could go into business selling adhesive backed chrome plated brass circles for Leica owners?

Perhaps Leica should make the dot even larger - then the 1st upgrade would be a small dot - the second a chrome plated screw?

It's a shame that a dome-headed screw was used because I'll have to find a flat headed one for my after market red dot logo to sit flat.

Owing to the similarity of the M-P's name to the last Leica film M to be released I recommend that we adopt the name "M pause P" for this camera.

Pete.;)

• Like 5

It's a shame that a dome-headed screw was used because I'll have to find a flat headed one for my after market red dot logo to sit flat.

Owing to the similarity of the M-P's name to the last Leica film M to be released I recommend that we adopt the name "M pause P" for this camera.

Pete.;)

Is it me, or is it a bloody BIG ugly screw too, compared to that on other Ms? You'd only just cover it with a red dot.........

• Like 2

Thought enough improvements from M9 to P that I did it. While at times miss the frame selector, not enough improvements to exchange M for MP now.

Bigger question is were I buying into M for first time, would I go for M or MP? Just not sure. Perhaps if used continuous option more would go for it. Isn't Leica's raison d'être more deliberate thoughtful shooting rather than machine gunning it?

I would be very surprised if the next iteration of the M is substantially thinner. If you ever see a cutaway of a DSLR you'll notice that there are a bunch of circuit boards behind the sensor that make it very fat. SLRs used to be thinner and lighter as well, so until we see a mass market (Canon/Nikon) thin DSLR (with the sort of miniaturization that a smartphone has shown possible) I wouldn't expect a thin M.

Also, I see that in the future the M240 will be known as "the one that didn't have the frame selector"... ugh

Edited by Chito
  • Like 1