Serviceability M8 & M8.2 displays

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course, I have no information at all on Leica's parts inventory, for all I know, they may have DSP boards stacked to the ceiling.

However, a quick look at 5 parts:

Analog Devices ADSP-BF561 Black Fin DSP - In Production

Samsung K4M513233C-DN75 Dynamic RAM - End of Life

Philips/NSP ISP1383BS USB Peripheral Controller - Obsolete

Intel PXA270C5C416 Application Processor - Not listed on Marvel web-site, so assume obsolete

Maxim MAX1567 6 Channel Switched Power Supply - In Production

There may of course be compatible components available from the same or other vendors. However, I think getting a new run of DSP boards made would be both difficult and expensive and I expect Leica will be relying on whatever stocks they have.

An unanswered question is how long the rechargeable battery which keeps the real-time clock running will last. It's soldered onto the same board...

With three mods thanking you, there's a chance for this post to become a new thread starter and obtaining sticky status within a day or two.

Let's see, who removes his " thank you" last.

I suspect a 'hidden' cost of the stand at Photokina will be along the lines of direct questions relating to the M8 maintenance. I hope the reps on the stand are well briefed by then to answer satisfactorily. Regrettably, I won't be there but I am sure I can rely on others to directly ask the questions.

I'm not sure about that. 90% of the visitors will be German and this appears to be a complete non-issue on the German forum.

..... this appears to be a complete non-issue on the German forum.

I noticed that. Is it because they don't care - or haven't heard? Please no "assuming" or "guessing" - we have people who visit both forums and can simply ask the question over there and get facts. (Mein Deutsch nicht gut genug ist.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed that. Is it because they don't care - or haven't heard? Please no "assuming" or "guessing" - we have people who visit both forums and can simply ask the question over there and get facts. (Mein Deutsch nicht gut genug ist.)

maybe because they're not americans who spend 80% of their life planning for the 'future' instead of living in the moment? :o

Funny thing is both CLA and warranty recently offered by Leica USA « do not include monitor ». (...)

That's consistent with what Mr Daniel stated right at the beginning of this thread. Is there a hidden message in your post that I failed to see?

Oh yes, they have heard.

OK so if the FULS sells for $3,900 for instance, will US users have to pay 3,900 + 350 = $4,250?

I have no idea, but why would anyone have a camera with a dead LCD CLA'd?

IF someone had just had a $350 CLA done, and the LCD subsequently fails IN THE NEW WARRANTY PERIOD, then the M9 upgrade offer price might be different from that offered if the warranty wasn't in place. This is why people who are affected by the LCD problem need to speak with their dealer or their local Leica office.

Edited by andybarton