Serviceability M8 & M8.2 displays

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have no idea, but why would anyone have a camera with a dead LCD CLA'd?

Honestly, if and only if my M8.2 ever should develop a faulty LCD display AND be in the need of an overhaul, that can only be accomplished @ Solms and the LCD could not be repaired at a reasonable cost, then indeed, I would have the camera fixed, as necessary for another few years of service and simply would use it without LCD.

It is very likely, that I would source solutions, to eliminate the LCD physically, as it now would be entirely redundant as well.

I would not consider selling the camera for parts or upgrading, as long, as the camera produces the same photographs, as before.

• Like 1

Honestly, if and only if my M8.2 ever should develop a faulty LCD display AND be in the need of an overhaul, that can only be accomplished @ Solms and the LCD could not be repaired at a reasonable cost, then indeed, I would have the camera fixed, as necessary for another few years of service and simply would use it without LCD.

It is very likely, that I would source solutions, to eliminate the LCD physically, as it now would be entirely redundant as well.

I would not consider selling the camera for parts or upgrading, as long, as the camera produces the same photographs, as before.

This is fine as long as you do not need to change anything in the Menus whilst out and about, that is the main issue - I can live without the ability to review and shoot.

Eliminating the LCD would mean bringing a laptop along with the M8 i'm afraid as the use of Leica Digital Capture would become mandatory to change isos at least. I have kept my Epsons fortunately. They allow to forget LCD completely if need be.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

… Leica Digital Capture would become mandatory to change isos at least …

No, not at all - I always shoot with two camera bodies.

I use my M8.2 now long enough, to have the ISO change button combination burned into my fingers, to not have to think about it any more - it's just

click set,

click set,

click up or down one stop,

click set,

half press shutter to exit any menus,

check exposure with camera meter to verify.

The same goes for formatting a SD card in camera - it's a procedure, I did so many times, that I indeed do it blindfolded.

Who could not love the EPSON ;-)

It was THE landmark rangefinder camera, that translated from film to digital - not the M8, it was the EPSON (mine still works the same, as on the day, I bought it - it's an artifact, I strangely cannot get myself to sell).

click set,

click set,

click set,

check exposure with camera meter to verify...

So no Auto iso anymore right?

Edit: Unless using the menu blindly as well i guess. Makes me feel very old suddenly...

Edited by lct

No, not at all - I always shoot with two camera bodies.

I use my M8.2 now long enough, to have the ISO change button combination burned into my fingers, to not have to think about it any more - it's just

click set,

click set,

click set,

check exposure with camera meter to verify

Maybe we need a volunteer to write a Leica M8-BLINDCLICK-Dictionary...

It can include all the clicks needed to access all menus...:-)

• Like 1

So no Auto iso anymore right?

Edit: Unless using the menu blindly as well i guess. Makes me feel very old suddenly...

With Nikon DSLRs, I used AutoISO a lot.

Since mainly shooting Leica M, I lost the ability to cope with the downfalls of AutoISO.

I never used it with a digital M (which is why I am a strong critic of how Leica implemented setting ISO on these cameras - both far from ideal, but it is better implemented on the older of the two, as one cannot set ISO with just one hand.

A LCD less M8 is easier to set ISO than any M9 derived camera for that matter (that's pretty sad actually).