iPad supports RAW files [Merged]

jaay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Sony VAIO as well, 4.5 inch screen. Full XP office suite. It is soooo slow it's unusable. Still a comparison between a notebook (any notebook), to an iPad IMO is beyond the scope of Apples intent. It will be up to other manufactures to fill the gap, if they can.

By the way apple does not sell a computer with a 500G SSD. and it weighs 4.5 lbs. but at least they don't use crippled processors like other notebook makers do.

Things will soon clear with the ipad.

I predict a clear shift in computing towards finger interfaces(in particular) and virtual keyboards. These are the main innovations ipad is bringing. Now, since Apple is ahead the competition in this area and is predicted to keep this in the future, there are no worries about competition catching up. Sure there will be devices in the future that will try to mimic Apple, but the real experience will be with the innovator.

Laptop days are in a countdown.

Yes- I have been predicting virtual keyboards for years. It seems the next logical step.

seems to me that in just a few years a computer will be a small box th size of an iphone and a pair of glasses and a pair of gloves...

put the glasses on and you can see the keyboard floating in space. Data can be projected against the real world or toggled to full 3D immersion.

Observation 4: I have seen comments about the 64GB not being enough. I estimate at uncompressed DNG, you could get around 3,200 photos on the device. That should be enough for a long weekend trip. It should suffice for many other purposes, including creating a portfolio of your work to share with friends, potential clients, etc. It is not clear how you delete photos at this time.

that is assuming you have no other data installed (eg no apps / music / files).

Virtual keyboards have existed for years and will keep on improving. Yet fact is a standard keyboard will always be more ergonomic than a flat surface. So I am sure that external keyboard for the Ipad will soon appear.

As for the Ipad, Apple shows again its marketing brillance to make us all believe they have invented a revolutionary device. Device that already exists at other manufacturer.

The brainwashing of brands.

Virtual keyboards have existed for years and will keep on improving. Yet fact is a standard keyboard will always be more ergonomic than a flat surface. So I am sure that external keyboard for the Ipad will soon appear.

It was announced at the same time as the IPad.

iPad Keyboard Dock - Apple Store (U.S.)

As for the Ipad, Apple shows again its marketing brillance to make us all believe they have invented a revolutionary device. Device that already exists at other manufacturer.

The brainwashing of brands.

It depends. Part of the technology already existed, no doubt about it. Assembling it in a device with good autonomy, plenty of applications, great ease of use is the interesting part.

For instance, it is a better experience to read a newspaper using an dedicated App than the standard website on a relatively small screen over a 3G connection.

This is what Apple is good at: you can find most of the components somewhere else but the whole package is something different.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It was announced at the same time as the IPad.

iPad Keyboard Dock - Apple Store (U.S.)

Did not know, it shows how I hate apple big bang's annoucement ;)

It depends. Part of the technology already existed, no doubt about it. Assembling it in a device with good autonomy, plenty of applications, great ease of use is the interesting part.

For instance, it is a better experience to read a newspaper using an dedicated App than the standard website on a relatively small screen over a 3G connection.

This is what Apple is good at: you can find most of the components somewhere else but the whole package is something different.

Being French Pascal, you should root for the national manufacturer that has been marketing Ipad style devices way before Apple. ;) And I think they are even more adapted for photographers as Lightroom can run on it since it uses Windows ...

ARCHOS

Problem is their annual marketing budget corresponds to one day of Apple's ...

Did not know, it shows how I hate apple big bang's annoucement ;)

Being French Pascal, you should root for the national manufacturer that has been marketing Ipad style devices way before Apple. ;) And I think they are even more adapted for photographers as Lightroom can run on it since it uses Windows ...

ARCHOS

Problem is their annual marketing budget corresponds to one day of Apple's ...

The problem with Archos is not the marketing budget: Its the lousy hardware, terrible buggy software, and the resulting overall lousy user experience. The exact opposite of Apple in nearly every way.

Not only does it render M9 DNG files, CR2 and NEF files, but it also will render the RW2 files from the Panasonic Lumix GF1--something OSX has only done for a month or so with the latest raw support update. There appears to be very robust raw support in the iPad software.

Jeff

The problem with Archos is not the marketing budget: Its the lousy hardware, terrible buggy software, and the resulting overall lousy user experience. The exact opposite of Apple in nearly every way.

Since it runs on Windows, I guess your software bugs should be addressed to the Microsoft corporation. There is no reason for Lightroom to bug more on an Archos than a PC.

As for Apple, I own an Iphone but it took a lot of iterances to have a product that could "copy/paste" ... talk about bugs ...

And remember that the Ipad is not a multi-task device. While ok for a small device as the Iphone, it could rapidly prove very bothering for many users.

Anyways, I am glad the Ipad exists and believe in this kind of technology of the future. I'll probably buy one at some point too. So everybody wins. Just I am amazed sometimes to see how Apple can appropriate itself innovations just by brand power.

Being French Pascal, you should root for the national manufacturer that has been marketing Ipad style devices way before Apple.

I had a look at their product and they are intesting. I even had one of their MP3 players some years ago.

However and as I said before, what makes the Apple product interesting is the "ecosystem" around, one much richer than Archos.

I am hoping by the time iPad reaches Europe, there might be a better 3rd party photo app, which will enable deletion of images on the fly. When traveling, I try and steal my wife's MacAir but that is not always possible. My 13" Macbook Pro is very good but it must be made from depleted uranium by the weight. The iPad could be an ideal travel device for photography with the M9. 64GB is just about enough, as I am guessing the OS is in a ROM chip and not taking up RAM space. I was thinking of a small screen image storage device and wanted to get an e-reader as well. If I can combine the two in one device, that would suit me perfectly.

Wilson

Virtual keyboards do existed and the real ones are indeed more practical, but reality here shows us that by losing a little bit of practicality one can move mountains ahead in convenience. This has already been a fact with the iphone OS, the only true phone I ever managed to send sms and write stuff on it.

The virtual keyboard is there to assist, obviously one needs a real one to do work (write).

However one thing is a revolution, and its already in display after ipad circulation: that's the multitouch interface. This will change the way we work. Just take a look at youtube and you will witness the change as it happens. The mouse was with us for far too long. Say welcome to the ...hand :)

Unlike the iPhone, the ipad allows a blutooth keyboard to be wirelessly connected. The apple bluetooth keyboard is tiny, and would be suitable for travel purposes.

For those ipad owners out there, how long does it take to down-res the image to an email? Is it slow or does that occur quite quickly?

Eg let's say you want to upload to flickr or facebook, or email some small versions to a friend, without having to send a large RAW file?

Apple, over time should allow us to resize the virtual keyboard to suit our ergonomy, hands size etc. Not all have the same size of hands, but I believe soon we will see how the virtual keyboard works with ipad. I wouldn't call external keyboards a solution, because then we complicate things. If I had to buy an external keyboard then why not purchase a mac air?

Unlike the iPhone, the ipad allows a blutooth keyboard to be wirelessly connected. The apple bluetooth keyboard is tiny, and would be suitable for travel purposes.

For those ipad owners out there, how long does it take to down-res the image to an email? Is it slow or does that occur quite quickly?

Eg let's say you want to upload to flickr or facebook, or email some small versions to a friend, without having to send a large RAW file?

36.4 MB uncompressed DNG's take forever to upload on a typical 375 kbps upload broadband speed. I had to send someone 200+ M9 DNG's the other day and it was quicker to post him a load of DVD's.

Wilson