iPad supports RAW files [Merged]

jaay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Until the camera connection kit comes out, I assume one cumbersome way to get the photos on the iPad would be to e-mail them to the iPad.

It also appears that on an iPod you can get them on through iTunes. I assume that this will work with the iPad, but I have no practical experience with either email or iTunes and iPads because I don't own an iPad and have never seen one in person.

How do I add photos to my Apple iPod? :: Free Tech Support :: Ask Dave Taylor!

I just put the DNG files in a folder and selected that folder to sync in the photos section of itunes. It was just a test, as soon as Apple ships the Camera kit, we will have a USB and SD port on ipad. My is scheduled to ship in late April.

I viewed the photo in the "photos" app. Again, it was just to see if the ipad would read the file...until the usb cable and appropriate software arrives, there's really no point as its cumbersome.

Hi,

I'm interested in if you can dump directly to the iPad via the card adapter, view the images on the spot and then transfer the unaltered DNGs later to a proper work station. Have you tried that?

If it can do that, then I think it's worth buying for that alone. I despise having to lug a 15' macbook pro, cables, plugins and protective case on traveling assignments, and netbooks don't have great screens. The iPad could be a perfect device for card-dumping and confirming/approving/wowing a client on the job. But only if the files remain unaltered and can easily be transfered to a work station.

-grant

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm interested in if you can dump directly to the iPad via the card adapter, view the images on the spot and then transfer the unaltered DNGs later to a proper work station. Have you tried that?

If it can do that, then I think it's worth buying for that alone. I despise having to lug a 15' macbook pro, cables, plugins and protective case on traveling assignments, and netbooks don't have great screens. The iPad could be a perfect device for card-dumping and confirming/approving/wowing a client on the job. But only if the files remain unaltered and can easily be transfered to a work station.

-grant

Unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of memory (only 32 or 64G for all of your apps / music / photos etc), which would tend to make it unsuitable for larger travel assignments.

Edited by scc

Hi,

-grant

Card reader wont ship till end of month...but, yes thats the idea.

I am impressed as well with the speed at which the iPad shows the dng files. The CF card reader ships next week! I am actually writing this on the iPad at a Starbucks. The forum and images pop up quickly and render very well on screen.

Thanks for the information, I think the iPad is going to be huge, providing Apple can sign up the content providers. I worry though about lack of Flash support.

64Gb (is anyone really going to buy any less?) is limiting but this is the first generation and the hardware will doubtless get more capable over time - just look at how the iPod has developed and the 64Gb iPod touch is a thing of wonder.

The data archive, image processing and camera control possibilities are very attractive, both tethered and wireless, and I hope both Leica and (in my case) Nikon wake up to the possibilities.

A DEVICE IN SEARCH OF A PURPOSE?

One forum member has said that the iPad is a device in search of a purpose. One purpose is clearly photography. I picked up an iPad this afternoon. Within five minutes of installing the new version of iTunes, I had both Leica DNG (run through Lightroom) and Canon CR2 raw files displaying on my iPad. You import through iTunes--there is a special tab for photos and you can tie that to a specified folder or there is some connection to Aperture (which I don't use so I couldn't experiment with it). As has been reported, there is a hardware device coming at the end of April that will permit direct imports from SD (and I assume other cards).

Observation 1: I walked into the house and told my wife I had bought an iPad. She responded, "Where is it?" It was already in the side pocket of my camera bag. I use a Black Label Bag version of the Artist and Artisan bags.

Observation 2: I can't say for sure, but it appears that the device will fit in one of the hotel room standard safes.

Observation 3: Since it does fit into a camera bag, you could carry it around and occasionally see what you have been shooting during the morning or afternoon. This is a lot better than an LCD screen on a camera.

Observation 4: I have seen comments about the 64GB not being enough. I estimate at uncompressed DNG, you could get around 3,200 photos on the device. That should be enough for a long weekend trip. It should suffice for many other purposes, including creating a portfolio of your work to share with friends, potential clients, etc. It is not clear how you delete photos at this time.

Observation 5: The reference in iTunes to Aperture suggests that Apple recognizes the interest of hard core photographers. While there may not be an Aperture or Lightroom App right now, I would bet one is coming, particularly given the fact that Apple did allow for display of RAW files. I am much more interested in organizing than editing on the road. The iPad screen is great (but like all Apple screens) it strikes me as to bright for serious editing and color calibration. So Lightroom Light would be fine with me.

Observation 6: Unclear to me whether tethered shooting is possible with the iPad at this time, but I suspect that will be coming.

Observation 7: Display of photos was virtually instantaneous.

In short, the iPad appears to be a great device for photographers and it will only get better.

Having now played around a little bit more with the iPad, here are some more observations:

Observation 1: Many things can be viewed as bottlenecks (tethering, Lightroom editing capabilities), but the practical one for the time being seems to be the inability to delete photos on the go. The instructions to the Photo software indicate that the only way to remove a photo is to remove it from the sync photo folder on your computer and then re-synch. If the photo hardware device scheduled to be released at the end of April doesn't come with separate software, then it would appear that when on the road, you can upload files from your SD card, but you may not be able to delete them until you get back to the "office." Of course, you can delete the real clunkers through the camera before you upload, but that means you are back to relying on the LCD screen. We will have to wait and see, but if deletion is a problem, I have to believe that it won't be for long because on-the-road first cutting is a natural.

Observation 2: It is unclear whether files from Compact Flash Memory Cards can be uploaded to the iPad from the cards. There appear to be two hardware devices contemplated by Apple in this kit. The first refers to SD cards. It does not appear to refer to Campact Flash. The reference to a USB device or cord seems to contemplate a direct link between the camera and the iPad (with the memory card in the camera). This could prove to be slow, but it would get the files in the iPad. It may be that you can connect a card reader through this USB process, but I have seen the materials that say that the USB only supports camera connections. Maybe somebody knows more details, but we are in waiting mode.

Observation 3: I and others were not confident that the RAW files would display. The fact that Canon and Leica files do display says that Apple took the semi pro and pro photographers into account. This suggests that Apple does recognize the potential of the iPad in the photographic sector. I will not be surprised to see a compact flash device from Apple or a third party in the near future and I also would not be surprised to see the "delete" issue resolved sooner than later. In the case of compact flash cards, there are just too many DSLR folks out there to ignore.

Observation 4: Don't buy the iPad on my say so. Just wanted to share my initial thoughts in light of this post and earlier discussions.

No doubt HP and others will have similar devices in the market within the next year. Setting aside photography, the iPad is an impressive device. I've never liked reading the NYTimes or other stuff on an iPhone, but like all new technology, it was great when that was all I had. The iPad, as far as I am concerned, turns the iPhone back into a phone. It is so portable and easy to carry in a briefcase, backpack, or a large purse that I can't see why people would put up with the iPhone's obvious screen limitations.

Creating Albums/Grouping Photos: You can import photos to the iPad from the computer by creating a sync folder and dumping all your photos that you want on the iPad into the sync folder and then importing it through the iTunes interface. Unfortunately, the iPad does not allow you to group things into albums, although it does indicate that there can be albums. To create an album, I had to use iPhoto for the first time. It is a simple photo editing program, but it has a photo management side. You import your RAW files into iPhoto on your computer, then create the album on your computer within iPhoto. Then, instead of linking to a sync folder that you create, you can link to iPhoto and that allows you to check boxes to indicate which albums to bring into the iPad.

What the inability to delete and create albums directly on the iPad suggests to me is that the iPad does not have anything but rudimentary file management software, but I am just guessing.

Hope this saves somebody some time down the road. And in any event, the photos look great once they are on the iPad.

I'd thought about buying the iPad, but still fail to see practical usefulness rather than novelty, so instead I bought a new netbook.

I'm presently traveling with Sony VAIO netbook (VPCX115KX) that weighs with the 4-hr battery (it comes with a 2nd, although heavier, 12-hr battery) just over 1 lb, being made of carbon fiber. It is only slightly thicker than an iPad. While it costs more (around $1500) than the iPad, it has a 128 GB SSD, built-in SD card reader, 2 USB ports, wifi, 11" screen that I've color calibrated, real keyboard, etc.

So far during this 2 week trip, while shooting RAW, I've already exceeded the internal capacity of the Sony SSD, but this is no problem. I routinely travel with two small 500 GB drives to which I copy the day's shoot. One drive stays in hotel, one travels with me.

The iPad, while is may be useful for viewing some images, does not easily allow back up of your data as I described above (or will Apple make more dongles for users to have to carry: dongle for SD reader, another for multiple-USB, etc) Apple needed to make a netbook with internal SD reader, etc., not just a large iPod, to be truly useful for photographers. I will not buy an iPad as presently configured.

Edited by rljones

Apple needed to make a netbook with internal SD reader, etc., not just a large iPod, to be truly useful for photographers.

The MacBook Pro 13 has a internal SD reader, and with 500g HD 4g real, 2.5g Dual Core 2 processor for about $1500. I wouldn't compare it to an iPad, anymore than I would compare it to a iPhone. If you were to compare the iPad to any Sony product compare it to the e-Reader. It may have more function, but it's primary purpose is the same. But in reality it's in a class by it's self and we are struggling to figure out a way to make it fit in our Photo world. It may not for some, and may for others. I am still not sure myself.

Edited by swamiji
Clarity

I also have a MBP 13" with a 500 GB SSD, but it weighs close to 5 lbs. That is why I now travel with the Sony. (I don't like Windows and prefer Macs, but here there is little choice.)

With the weigh and size of the Sony comparable to iPad, and cost not an issue (if you are using an M9 and lenses, cost between an iPad and the Sony as I described can hardly an issue), I cannot see buying an iPad over the Sony, other than novelty. I think this is the whole point of discussing the merits of any item we purchase: what are the pros and cons for our particular use.

Should Apple modify in future to have internal SD reader, and integral USB port(s), then I would think it more useful. As it stands now, I find the Sony more practical, and I think most photographers probably would too. Viewing images while traveling is not my major concern; safe, redundant storage with minimal editing is paramount to me. I only do final editing on a larger computer with properly calibrated monitors to print on an Epson 7800 using a RIP; so for me, editing in the field is just playing around. (Although, I've used stitching software on the Sony to get some images ready once I return home.)

Edited by rljones