bla

M8raw2dng - Tool to convert Leica M8 RAW files to DNG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Isn't it possible to use the linux version that I offer with cygwin?

Another feature that is finished: DIY sensor remapping...

(see attached images) If you look at the spoon on the very left, you might notice a faint orange vertical line. (see the image with the crops)

While the blue line is not appearing in the camera's JPG, the orange line is and it is possible to fix that now...

Greetings,

Arvid

This has just caught my attention and your project looks very interesting.

Sorry if I am wasting anyone's time, but I can't pour through every thread here and your website does not have a summary of what exactly you are doing, so I have a few questions…

1. Are you making firmware that must be loaded into the camera or is this an external post processing software for the M8 or is it both?

2. You described a procedure to enter a factory mode on the M8 that appears to be part of the process.

Do you need to go through that procedure each time you turn on your camera?

Thanks in advance!

This has just caught my attention and your project looks very interesting.

Thanks

Sorry if I am wasting anyone's time, but I can't pour through every thread here and your website does not have a summary of what exactly you are doing, so I have a few questions…

Well I try to add more information to the website, but it takes time that I rather spend on improving the tool...

1. Are you making firmware that must be loaded into the camera or is this an external post processing software for the M8 or is it both?

It's external post processing. It uses the native RAW files from the M8 to generate DNGs that are readable with Lightroom, Capture One, etc.

2. You described a procedure to enter a factory mode on the M8 that appears to be part of the process.

Do you need to go through that procedure each time you turn on your camera?

As of now unfortunately yes, as it returns to basic mode on switch off and auto power off. :|

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Arvid

Greetings,

Arvid

Thanks for the reply.

I was not complaining, I understand the desire to keep your nose to the grindstone.

I look forward to following your great work. Best of luck!

Great news Arvid!

I am looking forward to check out a new version, once you have found a way to bring this correction to us users!

I still hold on to my M8.2, looking how things develop.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can't wait for new release

As for cygwin, problem solved - it was all about proper path syntax. And it is actually windows version which can run under this emulation, not linux. I have the M8raw2dng binary in C:\windows and put single quotes around the windows paths (m8raw2dng -i 'F:\DCIM\101LEICA' etc. instead just -i F:\DCIM\101LEICA) when scripting in cygwin shell. It works just fine in any script I can dream of.

Edited by dlbr

First of all I want to thank Arvid, for spending so much effort in developing this great tool! It gives again attention to a unique often underestimated camera in the digital world.

Just got all corrections with the parameters done. With the droplet it's really easy and the whole workflow becomes once parameters are set a pure drag and drop operation.

By mistake I found out that entering the RAW+JPG Mode in the camera is even easier. Every time you can press 4xright 3xleft1xright and than direct on set to choose the RAW+JPG Mode.

No need to switch off the camera or pressing the info button.

I've attached some screenshots showing the several correction steps results. All pictures have been taken by covered lens. In lightroom the exposure, white and lights parameters have been increased extreme.

1. Picture: Original DNG File out of the camera

2. Picture: Converted RAW File with dark field correction (Parameters -sd and -s)

3. Picture: Converted RAW File with pixel correction (Parameters -st and -s)

4. Picture: Converted RAW File with correct lens information (lensdb.ini Parameter -l)

The Parameters -sd and -st have to be used only once that the software analyzes the picture. After the correction parameters have been set correct in the sensdb.ini, the Parameter -s tells the software to consider the parameters stored in the sensdb.ini by converting a picture. While the dark field correction parameters will be calculated and stored automatically through the software, the pixel correction has to be done manually by entering the correct coordinates. Hope I explained it correct Arvid.

Thank you, Torsten, for showing the examples and explaining! You are a little bit ahead of me here...

@all those pictures were done with the new 1.2beta version, which I have not uploaded on my site yet, will do so in the next hour. The described features are new in the v1.2, so don't expect it to work with the older versions.

I need to get the documentation done, so you understand how to use it... It's really easy once you get the hang of it...

Stay tuned and btw you can subscribe to my mailing list on my site, so I'll keep you informed about new releases and important stuff.

I'll post as soon as I'm ready!

Arvid

great work!

If you want to balance the sensor sides this is how you do it.

-Take a RAW image with the lens cap on so it is totally dark.

- Process the RAW image with the -s -sd flag and it will write the data into the sensdb.ini for your camera serial

Done!

S.

Edited by sebben

great work!

If you want to balance the sensor sides this is how you do it.

-Take a RAW image with the lens cap on so it is totally dark.

- Process the RAW image with the -s -sd flag and it will write the data into the sensdb.ini for your camera serial

Done!

S.

That's almost correct. I am working on the documentation, quite a lot has been described on my page already.

Just a quick explanation:

With -sd you initialize the darkfield correction and save it to the sensdb.ini. So you take your black image against the lenscap with a medium shutter speed of 1/60 - 1/125 of a second as RAW+JPG. Then you convert that image with -sd additional to the normal parameters you use. You can have a look at the black image in your raw converter then and it should be homogenous...

After that has been done you're only supposed to use -s, as otherwise it will always try to analyse the darkfield, even in none black images and overwrite your correction values.

I am working on the sensor parameter description right now, the rest of the parameters are finished, so have a look...

I'm glad you like it!

So here it is finally:

The new v1.2beta of my tool is released. I switched to the beta model, as last version showed that there was still the one or the other bug crawling around and with a beta behind the version people know what to expect and at the same time have the possibility to still download the v1.1.

What's new?

m8raw2dngv1.2

1. fixes the vertical lines that appear on many sensors
  2. fixes the unevenly distribution of the darkest levels and the issue with two differently calibrated sensor halves that show up when pushing the files at underexposed shots.
  3. fixes the colour casts in the shadows, this time for real
  4. takes now also standard M8 DNG files to fix the lens exif data, apertures and the sensor issues
  5. runs now also on Mac OS X v10.7
  6. has been tested so far on nearly 1900 of my images successfully and is ready for you to take it to work on your files

The website has been modified and restructured, a lot of information and documentation has been added and will be added in the next time. The tool parameters are described and explained, there is a FAQ and a mailing list now, where you can subscribe to be notified on important updates.

So check it out, I have put an awful lot of work into it and am now really excited to get feedback on how it performs.

You can test the tool in a few days much better than I could test it in a couple of month. And with access to only one M8, I do not have much possibilities to check how each M8 differs from the other.

Contact me (preferably with the contact form on my site) if you have questions, suggestions, bug reports or something else to tell me.

Enjoy shooting and testing as much as I did enjoy the development!

Arvid

Hey Arvid, the new revision is absolutely amazing!

We can now perfectly fine fix any dead pixel issues ourselves !

I tested some solutions, how to integrate your tool in my workflow on a Mac, mainly centred around Adobe Lightroom and would currently have one major wish and a few suggestions regarding smoothing the workflow:

1) Is it possible to modify the droplet file via Apple script, so the resulting DNG files, created by m8raw2dng will be written into the same folder, the original RAW+JPG pairs are residing in?

I want to keep the RAW+JPG pairs together in the same folder as the DNGs, I work with in Lightroom.

This would allow for future work on them.

2) Is there any possibility for a future m8raw2dng revision, which does not need the accompanying JPG file? I would love to discard the JPG, as I always do when cameras write raw + JPG files. I have absolutely no use for them, except m8raw2dng needs them currently, as I understand.

3) I suggest, that after a successful batch conversion of several files a small "result" is displayed in terminal in the jest of "83 of 83 files were successfully converted". This would provide a quick, assuring information after a longer batch conversion for people, who come back to their computer after having a coffee, … Currently each file conversion is documented within Terminal, so one could seek this assurance by scrolling trough each dialog.

Now a big bonus would be if it would be possible, if m8raw2dng would support to post this final result into the OS X notification center and remain there with a time stamp and the result message until manually deleted instead of keeping the Terminal window alive after completed conversion.

I know, this is getting ahead of things and a big wish, but maybe it is possible ;-) ?

Your new revision is a great thing - it made me break out my trusty old M8.2 again and use it mainly to find, what it can give me as a second body. I always loved the crisp, detailed files from the M8 sensor over the M9 sensor so I am keeping my M8.2 as of your software!

Hey Arvid, the new revision is absolutely amazing!

We can now perfectly fine fix any dead pixel issues ourselves !

I tested some solutions, how to integrate your tool in my workflow on a Mac, mainly centred around Adobe Lightroom and would currently have one major wish and a few suggestions regarding smoothing the workflow:

1) Is it possible to modify the droplet file via Apple script, so the resulting DNG files, created by m8raw2dng will be written into the same folder, the original RAW+JPG pairs are residing in?

I want to keep the RAW+JPG pairs together in the same folder as the DNGs, I work with in Lightroom.

This would allow for future work on them.

Of course! Just don't pass the -o parameter. That way the output is not specified and the input folder will be taken as output. Be aware that the M8 DNGs will be modified, too... So make a secure copy while this is in Beta!

2) Is there any possibility for a future m8raw2dng revision, which does not need the accompanying JPG file? I would love to discard the JPG, as I always do when cameras write raw + JPG files. I have absolutely no use for them, except m8raw2dng needs them currently, as I understand.

Well that is at the moment not possible. The reason is that the RAW files do not contain exif information. You would be left without Exposure Time, Aperture Value, ISO... But technically it is not a problem. Could you describe your need to discard the JPG further? So when do you delete them, what do you want to keep and why? I think I could come up with a satisfying solution... Why do you want to keep the RAW files but not the JPG after conversion? For future releases? I could modify the RAW files and add exif information for backup purposes maybe. Or strip the jpg of image data and just keep the few bytes of information. Would that be what you want?

3) I suggest, that after a successful batch conversion of several files a small "result" is displayed in terminal in the jest of "83 of 83 files were successfully converted". This would provide a quick, assuring information after a longer batch conversion for people, who come back to their computer after having a coffee, … Currently each file conversion is documented within Terminal, so one could seek this assurance by scrolling trough each dialog.

Now a big bonus would be if it would be possible, if m8raw2dng would support to post this final result into the OS X notification center and remain there with a time stamp and the result message until manually deleted instead of keeping the Terminal window alive after completed conversion.

The first part I have thought of myself already. If I'm converting hundreds of pictures at a time the error messages just disappear...

I thought of writing a log file of the latest conversion with the error messages and to do exactly such a warning line at the end of conversion. Will be done in the first revision of the beta. About the OS X notification center I'll have to see... Am not familiar with it. Not sure if I can and will do that.

I know, this is getting ahead of things and a big wish, but maybe it is possible ;-) ?

Your new revision is a great thing - it made me break out my trusty old M8.2 again and use it mainly to find, what it can give me as a second body. I always loved the crisp, detailed files from the M8 sensor over the M9 sensor so I am keeping my M8.2 as of your software!

That's nice to hear! Enjoy it and as always, there is more to come!

Cheers,

Arvid

Thanks Arvid for the points!

Be aware that the M8 DNGs will be modified, too...

Do you mean, that if in the source folder are DNG files out of camera, they will be modified by m8raw2dng, when accidentally converted with m8raw2dng ?

I think, that the question of workflow is a very subjective one.

I now do understand why the JPG files are needed and will just keep them the total file size of one package to remain on the hard drive for the M8 is now about 45MB (RAW+JPG+DNG) - this is ok. Thanks for explaining.

I keep all original out of camera raw files and almost always discard accompanying JPGs before even moving to the raw conversion.

I keep original raw files in unchanged condition.

It would not be desirable to have m8raw2dng modify the original raw file, it should stay in original condition.

Do you mean, that if in the source folder are DNG files out of camera, they will be modified by m8raw2dng, when accidentally converted with m8raw2dng ?

Yes, but there won't be much change. If you call with the -l parameter, the lens information will be corrected, otherwise the aperture guess will be improved, the makernote safety tag will be added, sensor lines will be corrected and the darkfield correction will be also applied. I normally do not change the files directly in the folder yet, as this is still a beta and I do not know if there is a small error after all.

It would not be desirable to have m8raw2dng modify the original raw file, it should stay in original condition.

As I said, one could do a small exif addition file, too, if you want to get rid of the jpg (for example a jpg stripped of the image data. Would then be just a few kb...) Let me know if you would like that

Regards,

Arvid

As I said, one could do a small exif addition file, too, if you want to get rid of the jpg (for example a jpg stripped of the image data. Would then be just a few kb...) Let me know if you would like that

Hey Arvid, such a possibility to call a parameter during the DNG conversion to rid the JPG file and exchange it would be great.

In my opinion an even better solution would be this workflow:

1) copy RAW+JPG file pairs from SD card to image folder

2) drop image folder onto m8raw2dng droplet

3) m8raw2dng converts RAW file helped with EXIF data from JPG and writes DNG file in original folder

4) m8raw2dng deletes JPG file

5) in future conversions with m8raw2dng ANY file, holding EXIF data with the same file name as the RAW file can be used by m8raw2dng to pull EXIF data for another DNG conversion of the RAW file (including DNG files, formerly written by m8raw2dng)

This way we would get rid of the not so useful JPG files, would retain the original RAW files from camera AND would have the possibility of future conversions of these RAW files, as m8raw2dng could use other files for pulling the EXIF data.

Optionally writing sidecar files, which are universally readable by image software and replacing the JPG would be a great additional feature too of course.

I rather like, that you approach features via switchable parameters - this way any user can mix a personalised behaviour of your software!

i need more instruction .. especially how to begin the process .. i mean how to convert an original file from the m8 to the new file ?? in details .. how to use the droplet in details please .. thank you

i need more instruction .. especially how to begin the process .. i mean how to convert an original file from the m8 to the new file ?? in details .. how to use the droplet in details please .. thank you

Welcome ninossa.

This process is aimed to use a hidden RAW file of the M8, only accessible when switching the M8 into development mode.

This file type is not supported by Leica and not accessible under normal circumstances but enables for image quality improvements especially when using higher ISO sensitivities compared to the native lower bit DNG files.

1) enable development mode on your M8 by:

- switch camera on

- press on the directional pad "4x right, 3x left, 1x right"

- press set

- set compression to the now additionally available "JPG fine + RAW" mode

From now on the camera will not write DNG files, but *.RAW files instead accompanied by the normal JPG fine file.

The RAW files need to be converted into a readable DNG file, commercial raw converters can interpret.

This mode will be active with your camera until you switch the camera off or return compression to DNG file output in the set menu.

After switching the camera off, you need to reactivate this mode again with the same procedure to have the camera write RAW files.

2) go to Arvid's ("bla") website and read carefully through his descriptions, following them step by step.

Download the m8dng2raw application and (if you like) the accompanying droplet matching for your operating system.

3) place the m8dng2raw application and droplet in a folder on your computer and modify the files matching to your needs (parameter settings, as described on Arvid's site) and file paths on your computer.

4) test the tool and see if you are in need of one or both of the offered corrections (dark field correction of possibly uneven sensor halves and possible pixel defects of the sensor, showing in pixel lines after conversion of RAW files)