iPad supports RAW files [Merged]

jaay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While we're talking apps, I have moved my books from my Kindles to the Kindle app on the iPad--its much nicer than an actual Kindle. The Thomson Reuters news app is the best news app out there although the NPR app is also very good, and has excellent capabilities for streaming the radio shows either live, or time-delayed.

William, if you haven't tried out the NASDAQ app, you might want to give it a look. The Bloomberg app, like the iPhone app, is very well-done.

For work, I use the WebEx and Citrix clients extensively. The iWork suite is very well done, and I use it to edit documents for work. I particularly like how well Keynote works on the iPad, and with the video adapter, you can do presentations.

For games, my daughter loves Disney Fairies Fly and Jelly Car 2, both redesigned for the iPad. She also enjoys Pinball HD (as do I), and the whole family loves to play Scrabble. It's a remarkable adaptation of an old favorite to new technology. You can use your iPhones as letter trays, linked via BT to the iPad as the game board. Really cool.

Finally, I am an avid amateur astronomer, and Star Walk is an amazing planetarium app. Its a fabulous way to interact with a sky map, much better than can ever be done with a keyboard and mouse approach.

I personally think that much like the iPhone, this is going to create an entirely new category of devices, driven by the multi-touch interface and applications that can be built to exploit it. So far, nearly everyone I show it to--even the skeptics--are amazed, and its often hard to pry it out of someone's hands. I do recommend the 3G version as this is a device that flourishes when constantly attached to "cloud-based" content (man, I hate that stupid term, but it works here).

Jeff

She also enjoys Pinball HD (as do I), and the whole family loves to play Scrabble. It's a remarkable adaptation of an old favorite to new technology.

I have it on the iPhone. It's graphically excellent, though the computer opponent seems to make up words, especially short ones - if you read the reviews it's something other people also think. Obviously not an issue if there are two people playing each other.

Guest WPalank

I sent Omer from Mobile Pond an email over the weekend asking if he planned on updating his fantasic App for the iPhone, "Photogene" for the iPad (it's even featured on one of the Apple commercials in the US and China). He sent me an email this morning that it's up and available for download from the App store as of April 1. The website hasn't even been updated yet to reflect the changes in the interface.

Products

For $4 US it's the most powerful and complete Photo Editor to date for the devices. Levels, sharpening, B&W, and now Curves.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My camera connection arrives tomorrow, but I have been following the reviews on the Apple website from other users. So far, very favorable--although these are not necessarily Leica folks. What sounds most promising is the direct connection from the camera. Apparently you can view individual files one by one from the SD card while it is still in the camera and decide what to store on the iPad and what not to on a file by file basis. People are reporting that the full RAW file transfers from the iPad to the Lightroom and I believe one person reported the ability to treat the iPad as a card reader, permitting direct import into Lightroom from the iPad. The Jpeg sidecar file is touch and go.

As an aside, I have found another use for the iPad. A number of photographic instruction books (series) are available in ebook form. I am reading one right now. It will be a useful reference in the field and I don't have to carry the book with me. The iPad slips nicely into my camera case. I also note that a number of DSLR after-market manuals are available in electronic book form--one less thing to carry. I recall that someone on the list is writing an M9 guide. It would be nice if that were published in Kindle form.

The other perfect use for the iPad is travel books. Unfortunately, my favorite publisher isn't out yet in ebook form, but Lonely Planet is. I loaded one for an upcoming trip. Normally, I will buy 4 or 5 of these and tear out parts to cut down on weight and bulk. The iPad will permit me to pay less for the books, but take them with me.

I just returned from a five day trip-first time out with my iPad and camera connection kit. Unfortunately, the dng files from both my M9 and my other half's X1 were extremely pixelated and basically worthless to view. My partner was shooting in jpeg+raw and at least the files from the jpegs were decent...I, on the other hand, had to wait until I arrived back home to view my files on my iMac- big disappointment.

All in all, I enjoyed not having to lug my laptop along and was very pleased using the iPad, but the low resolution thumbnails of the .dng files are horrible. I guess next trip I'll just make extra sure that I have enough SD cards and shoot raw+jpeg as well-at least if I want to view my files on the road...but I much prefer, and normally shoot just raw. I really, really hope that this will only have to be just be a temporary work-around.

but I much prefer, and normally shoot just raw. I really, really hope that this will only have to be just be a temporary work-around.

What is not clear to me yet is whether those who claim to be able to view RAW files on the iPad (with different cameras) can do so because the iPad has software that has some sort of profile that permits the iPad to display a pure RAW file or whether they are really looking at jpegs. If the former, there will not much we can do to avoid including jpegs: Leica and Apple need to get together and develop a Leica DNG file that permits the file to properly display. I suspect the burden is on Leica to do that.

What is even more puzzling is why the Leica RAW files don't display properly if other RAW files without jpegs are displaying properly. Canon and Nikon are proprietary RAW files, while the Leica files would seem to be pure RAW files given their DNG designation. If RAW any RAW file should display, it should be a DNG file.

What is even more puzzling is why the Leica RAW files don't display properly if other RAW files without jpegs are displaying properly

Most (all?) RAW files contain an embedded Jpeg. The iPad software appears to be showing the embedded Jpegs - assuming that the photographer isn't shooting RAW + Jpeg. The embedded Jpegs in Leica DNG files are very small, and there's no in camera option to adjust their size. Hence the reason why images from the DNGs are pixelated.

My Camera Connection kit arrived. If you just do DNGs and import through the SD card adapter, you get pixelated photos, as has been reported. If you also create a Jpeg, you get an excellent image. When you import to the iPad, you are given the choice of selecting the photo you want to import or all of them. You are also given the choice to delete or keep the imported photo from the SD card.

I tried the USB adapter. I've never tried tethered shooting before, but I don't think you get true tethered shooting with the iPad. In other words, releasing the shutter doesn't result in a picture automatically appearing on the iPad as if it were the LCD screen. You have to import the photo. From snap to display takes about 15 or 20 seconds before you see the photo--that time will come down when I get use to the menus.

I haven't done a batch import yet, nor have I transferred photos from the iPad to the LR.

Jack Siegel

• 2 weeks later...

A jailbroken iPad plus a free app called iFile will allow browsing of images full screen w/o importing them first. This is much faster than Apples method of importing your images.

You simply plug in the SD card and launch iFile and browse to the files and you can quickly flip thru all your images full screen.

Can you explain what a "jailbroken" Ipad is, and what the potential risks are?

Rather like an iPhone it means you don't have to load apps only from the app store.

The risk is that Apple will release a new version of the firmware, and if you install it the device will not worked - aka "bricked".

Seems to me that there is some limitations to the iPad / iPhoto experience.

I have been using it with the SD card adapter and find that the photo-app crashes if I select too many images for import at a time.

In addition the JPG's displayed as imported, is not the M9 jpg's but rather a 2000px thumbnail, so it is worth remembering that there are more resolution in the actual image.

the iPad plays nice with LightRoom though, when I put it in the cradle LR launches and offer to import the images, when I have already dumped some of the images, LR do not miss a beat but simply tells me that it have already found xxx in the library. Excellent.

Once the photos app become more staple when importing a full card, this could comfortable double as a SSD card backup, particularly if one also keep the full cards separately as a data backup.

Seems to me that there is some limitations to the iPad / iPhoto experience.

In addition the JPG's displayed as imported, is not the M9 jpg's but rather a 2000px thumbnail, so it is worth remembering that there are more resolution in the actual image.

If I am misreading your comment, I apologize. My experience is that when the M9 is set to create just DNGs, the photo, when displayed in the iPad, is jagged and pretty much unusable if you are looking for sharpness. If the M9 is set to write both a DNG and a jpeg to the SD card, the display of the jpeg is flawless. In both instances, I am using the camera connection kit SD card adapter to import the photos into the iPad. There is an obvious cost. I think on an 8gb card, I drop from around 212 images down to somewhere around 170 if I include jpegs.

Best

Jack Siegel

Jack,

We are in agreement - what Im saying is that "as far as I can tell" when observing my own iPad, images imported from the M9 SD card, shot as DNG+JPG is stored flawlessly, however it seems to me that the photos-app in the process "thumbnail" the imported jpg's and create the images you and I actually view in the photos app, being 2000px jpg's - roughly 25% of the actual images, I noticed the lack of resolution when I zoomed in to check for focus and it did not show as much details as I expected to find.

Im guessing that photos-app have a practical limit which is currently stopping around 5megapix. (25% ish of 18megapix) rumors are the new iPhone will be 5megapix so this could be where that limit comes from.

Bottom line - Im pretty sure Photos-app create 5 megapix thumbnails of the imported images.

However the originals are perserved and is what LightRoom imports when the pad is connected to the laptop.

Rather like an iPhone it means you don't have to load apps only from the app store.

The risk is that Apple will release a new version of the firmware, and if you install it the device will not worked - aka "bricked".

This is far from accurate. You have very little if any risk of "bricking".

Jailbreaking an iPad is very simple and extremely safe. It literally takes 1 minute. It allows you to install additional apps like iFile and many other indispensable apps and give you far better functionality.

• 2 weeks later...
This is far from accurate. You have very little if any risk of "bricking".

Jailbreaking an iPad is very simple and extremely safe. It literally takes 1 minute. It allows you to install additional apps like iFile and many other indispensable apps and give you far better functionality.

Which program did you use to unlock your iPad?

As it is, viewing my uploaded images at Flickr thru my iPad have consistently increased my pleasure.

However, if you are thinking or even hinting that you want to see Adobe LR in iPad, you might have to wait for the bad blood to clear. There'e much of that right now between the largest (in terms of market value) hi-tech fruity Company and Adobe. It may take years ... to clear.