What would happen if the M9 was a flawed camera?

ArtZ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica know exactly how many cracked IR filters there are. They will be fixing them.

No, it is not "likely that many people who do not contribute to the forum have had the same issue?", unless you live in glass-half-empty-land. It could be a one off. Apparently, it might be a "four-off" or it might be more. We don't know. The only people who do, are Leica.

If it were a common problem, there would be dozens and dozens of M9 owners on here, and elsewhere, with the same problem, but there aren't. This isn't a green blob, or green line problem, IMHO.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The distinction is between those issues (like a cracked IR filter) which are obviously one-off exceptions, low-probability issues versus those which are systemic in nature. The left-side magenta cast is the only issue I have yet to hear that appears systemic.

The very title of this thread infers a clear bias, and an inability or disinclination to make that distinction.

For me the M9 has best succeeded in capturing the essence of film but when you start to talk of art, light and beauty, punctum - the ephemeral elements of photography, people switch off until you start to talk about iso's, focal distance, shutter speed or lag, IR etc. How boringly technical photography has become.

Four too many, but let's keep this in perspective.

I understand your point but I still think that four is quite a few. As far as I know, this problem has never been reported for the M8 and there are literally many thousands of those cameras which have been used daily over the last three years.

You guys are right. This M9 is a terrible, flawed camera that should never have been released. I've had mine for two months now and it has just now managed to pay for itself. Evidently I've been able to fool everybody into not noticing the flaws in the photos. I usually work with at least two M cameras and sometimes three, so if any of you want to get rid of your flawed M9's I'd gladly take them off your hands. I'll manage to use them somehow. I'll even pay for shipping. ;)

Tina

Tina Manley

You guys are right. This M9 is a terrible....blah blah

I'm not sure sarcasm is quite your forté, Tina?

Why is it so difficult to attempt a rational discussion of anything to do with Leica without the usual fanboy/girl suspects rearing their ugly heads?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"You guys are right. This M9 is a terrible, flawed camera that should never have been released. I've had mine for two months now and it has just now managed to pay for itself. Evidently I've been able to fool everybody into not noticing the flaws in the photos. I usually work with at least two M cameras and sometimes three, so if any of you want to get rid of your flawed M9's I'd gladly take them off your hands. I'll manage to use them somehow. I'll even pay for shipping."

Right on Tina! It seems to me that the M9 files are much superior to the M8 which is also a great camera.

IMHO, its odd that anyone would go out of their way to bash an M9 from the perspective of not owning one.

I'm not sure sarcasm is quite your forté, Tina?

Why is it so difficult to attempt a rational discussion of anything to do with Leica without the usual fanboy/girl suspects rearing their ugly heads?

Sorry, Ian, but I defend Leica because I've used other systems and I know how great Leica is in comparison. I only give praise where praise is due. Maybe I've been extremely lucky but I've had at least 3 Leica R's, 10 Leica film M's, and 3 Leica Digital M's over my 30+ years career and have never had a problem with any of them that couldn't be easily resolved. If that's being a fangirl, I guess I am. Should I make up complaints when I don't have any so I can fit in on the forum?

Ugly Head

Tina Manley

I do have an M9 - somehow I just ordered one and it arrived in about 3 weeks. It is not a 'flawed' camera but it does have glitches mainly relating to its handling of SD cards, read, write, consistency, zooming-viewing, time to format etc. I have not seen the red colour down one side of the image so cant comment on that.

After the M8 experience I do wonder why Leica released the camera with these problems which all came to light quite quickly once it was in the hands of ordinary customers and therefore left themselves open to further criticism. Hopefully a new FW will resolve them.

Jeff

IMHO, the M9 is a stop-gap camera, destined to play a keeping-the-company-in-business role before it's replaced with the camera they should have developed all along.

Mark,

Sure hope this isn't the case. I now have a M9 ,so far so good. Curious do you have one or plan to get one?

Jet

IMHO, the M9 is a stop-gap camera, destined to play a keeping-the-company-in-business role before it's replaced with the camera they should have developed all along.

Mark,

Sure hope this isn't the case. I now have a M9 ,so far so good. Curious do you have one or plan to get one?

Jet

Yep! It sure stops my gap and is keeping me in business. No idea what it is doing to Leica. Presumably what it is doing to me.

I do believe both phenomena (broken glass and magenta on the left) could be related. If the glass brakes it's propably due to tension bending the sensor/IR filter (maybe because the sensor is not properly aligned or where it should be) and a bent sensor/IR filter could produce the wierd (irregular) vignetting and magenta cast.

The whole thing now is whether the sensor has been moved because of the battery or not.

Cheers and Happy Christmas to all! I'll be off for a month with no internet connexion.

I do believe both phenomena (broken glass and magenta on the left) could be related. If the glass brakes it's propably due to tension bending the sensor/IR filter (maybe because the sensor is not properly aligned or where it should be) and a bent sensor/IR filter could produce the wierd (irregular) vignetting and magenta cast.

The whole thing now is whether the sensor has been moved because of the battery or not.

Cheers and Happy Christmas to all! I'll be off for a month with no internet connexion.

I'm not quite sure one can bend 0.8 mm thick glass enough to cause an optical effect.

• 1 month later...

The original post reminds me of the woman in the Russian joke... Her husband finds her in the cellar, weeping inconsolably.

'Why are you crying, wife?'.

'I looked at the knives and axes down here and I fear for our future children.'

You can worry about things that haven't happened. But it's damned silly.

Mark

Edited by markgay