More rumors: Apparently, M9 is not the only camera to be announced on 09/09?

efftee

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyway going back to making lenses for others. Great idea and a lot of money to be made no question and we have all talked about this many times. Now Leica has a wonderful R line so if they went out to Canon and Nikon and of course they are willing ( hard to believe they would be) but Leica could take the R formula's over the years and make a mechanical change to the Nikon and canon lenses but it would have to be all new also with AF, electrical contacts and no aperture ring. So they would need to partner with them and Leica is trying to get away from any partnership that they can avoid

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway going back to making lenses for others. Great idea and a lot of money to be made no question...

Sadly Leica stated at the meeting a few months ago that the Japanese companies weren't prepared to share patents with them - I assume Panasonic is an exception. So they'd need to reverse engineer the mount - and then possibly cope with any difficulties if Canon or Nikon made any electronic changes to the mount. I'm sure we're aware that this has caused Sigma problems in the past.

The other question of course is that even if Leica could cope with the patent issues, how many Nikon or Canon photographers would be prepared to pay Leica prices?

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes and i heard the same thing from the Sony shooters as well. I think a great way to get some use out of those great lenses. Some real stellar R lenses out there , no one has yet touch that 280 or my favorite the 180 F2 summricron. Loved that lens

Guest guy_mancuso
Sadly Leica stated at the meeting a few months ago that the Japanese companies weren't prepared to share patents with them - I assume Panasonic is an exception. So they'd need to reverse engineer the mount - and then possibly cope with any difficulties if Canon or Nikon made any electronic changes to the mount. I'm sure we're aware that this has caused Sigma problems in the past.

The other question of course is that even if Leica could cope with the patent issues, how many Nikon or Canon photographers would be prepared to pay Leica prices?

Not surprised for a second on that and yes Sigma had some real issues.

Not sure on buying their are a lot of alternative folks out there using Leica on Canon. I think I may be one of the grandfathers of that trick. LOL

But yes hard to say how many would actually buy today. Nikon certainly has a few really good lenses now. Canon has improved as well and not only that Zeiss has tapped into it now

They simply are better off building a body with AF glass and offer R users a adapter. I would certainly think a better company option than fooling around with this stuff.

Hey, Guy ... we're only talking about a rumor here, though I'm taking it very seriously, don't forget it is still a rumor. LOL

The point I was trying to make is ... these would/should be rebuilt EF lenses sans AF motor (if done properly). Of course, some limitation may still persist, but I'll view it as a sacred solution. :)

Japanese camera producers, Panasonic included, cannot share most of their patents with overseas competitors. Because the product development/research that went into these patents have been heavily subsidised by the Japanese government/tax payers.

I am sworn to secrecy on the alleged M9 issue, but have good news on the matter of R lenses on digital cameras. I can reveal that Leica Camera will offer a 'turn-it-in' service where you send your R lenses in for conversion to DSLR fitting...

Just wondering why they should pay some 50% royalties as AFAIK all those mounts are nowadays in public domain, either because their copyright has expired or was there since the start, like the 4/3 mount.

Nice try anyway ... :rolleyes:

Rumor or not, converting the R lenses into the other mounts are actually the best thing one can do (from a R user's perspective).

I wasn't able to follow these rumors closely but from what I heard and remember, Sony should announce the A850 this week, Canon will announce the 7D/60D/2000D on the 1st of September, on the same date Panasonic will announce the GF-1 and a bunch of DCs, there could another company making some announcement on the same day but I can't remember.

Then on 9/9/9, it's Leica's turn, besides the M9, I guess there will be a rebadged GF1 (Digilux 4), a rebadged FZ38 (V Lux 2), and "perhaps" a rebadged LX4 (aka D-lux 5)

Hmm, new member, post starts with, I'm sworn to secrecy BUT....I can reveal that.....

You have to grin.:D

I am sworn to secrecy on the alleged M9 issue, but have good news on the matter of R lenses on digital cameras. I can reveal that Leica Camera will offer a 'turn-it-in' service where you send your R lenses in for conversion to DSLR fitting, fixed price per lens 50 Euro, plus Insured Shipping & Handling just 15 Euro per lens. There will also be a rangefinder-coupling conversion service to Leica M for focal lengths up to 90mm, cost 150 Euro per lens. M8 and M8.2 Passport holders to get priority.

Time in workshop guaranteed only one day, but waiting time depends on demand. This explains why Leica Camera has been recruiting instrument mechanics from other German companies and running 'behind closed doors' training sessions since April 1.

Licensing agreement was signed with Nikon, Olympus and Sony on 27 May this year ,and with Canon on 31 July. Pentax are still holding out for better terms - Leica has offered them a royalty of 25 Euros for each conversion but Pentax are holding out for the same deal as the others, 27.50 Euros. No reason has been given for the discriminatory deal against Pentax, but another industry source claims it is because Leica anticipate such a huge take-up from Pentax lens owners, saying 'They estimate a lot of Pentax lens owners could want to take it up'.

A Leica executive, who has asked not to be named said earlier today 'We would like to get Pentax on board, but I guess we can live without them'. She refused to confirm that Panasonic have been given preferential terms, but agreed that they too are part of the agreement and continue 'to be valued co-partners'. She refused to be drawn on whether R lens production will re-start but confirmed that the new management ethos at Leica Camera is 'to go with the flow'.

This is surely the best news in a long time and should reassure the doubters that Leica Camera is a major force in the camera industry, with a firm grasp of market trends.

Please feel free to post this news on any forum you wish a matter of public service ...:eek:

Guest guy_mancuso

LOL. Is that not like the saying Just trust me. :D

Anyway too many darn rumors. I think I will wait until the 9th or when Leica tells me. Obviously people are not living by there NDA's.

If we take this R lens conversion thing on face value,

- who would choose to convert their R lenses, noting that R bodies can no longer be used?

- would you do it if there was no communication between lens and body?

- which brand body would you convert to?

- would you convert if the original R mounts were not returned for future use?

Me? If I converted I'd choose Nikon and buy a D3x. Then I could use my other Nikon lenses with a digital body too.