More rumors: Apparently, M9 is not the only camera to be announced on 09/09?

efftee

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest BigSplash

If this rumour is true then Leica seems to be very flexible on the pursuit of their strategy.

They first announce that "R" lenses are to be dropped (2 months ago) and then sell off their entire "R" inventory to SH Photo.

Now they are apparently building business links into Canon & Nikon et al !!?

Since they are in the business of SELLING NEW LENSES (and maybe cameras) they presumably will restart manufacture of "R" lenses to sell at prices that will give watery eyes to many Canon and Nikon users.

If it is true at best they made a poor announcement when they discontinued the "R" product line and have realised it. At worst they have not looked at their strategic options, when they made their decision and are now thinking again .....somewhat defining a strategy on the hoof it would seem.

I really think that if this is true then those people that tell me that Leica understand their well though out business plan may take note.

Frankly I am skeptical that this rumour is true but if it is the decision to creep back into the DSLR arena it is not a bad one. It would suggest however that the new CEO (ex Zeiss) is taking a different strategy to what we have understood previously.

Sadly Leica stated at the meeting a few months ago that the Japanese companies weren't prepared to share patents with them - I assume Panasonic is an exception. So they'd need to reverse engineer the mount - and then possibly cope with any difficulties if Canon or Nikon made any electronic changes to the mount. I'm sure we're aware that this has caused Sigma problems in the past.

The other question of course is that even if Leica could cope with the patent issues, how many Nikon or Canon photographers would be prepared to pay Leica prices?

Problem is, it is not just the companies - it is the Japanese state that has subsidized part of the research that led to the patents. They are not going to allow the use of Japanese taxpayers' money for foreign companies. I don't know, but Panasonic may well be free of such constraints.

Guest BigSplash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Relax Frank. It's a joke.

I am pleased, although admit to being spoofed

Personally I think that this type of very detailed joke (April 1st excluded) is not funny and degrades the quality of the forum. There was so much detail giving it credibility and I believe most people on the forum try to be serious.

Guest BigSplash
Problem is, it is not just the companies - it is the Japanese state that has subsidized part of the research that led to the patents. They are not going to allow the use of Japanese taxpayers' money for foreign companies. I don't know, but Panasonic may well be free of such constraints.

Jaapv I do not see it that way.

The Japanese companies behave like a club and share considerable information amongst each other to reinforce their competitiveness vis a vis none Japanese companies.....In the US (and to some extent EU) the level of information shared would be illegal as it would be deemed anticompetitive.

Texas Instruments have been in Japan for now over 40 years and after 20 years having invested in the Japanese govt. driven University R&D programs in Japan they became part of the framework and gained considerable knowledge as a result. My understanding is that Leica have a good working relationship with Panasonic and Minolta. It is well known that Philips and Sony cooperate as has Ericsson and Sony.

Texas Instruments have had deep and strong alliances with Canon Cameras (and Printers) and Sony to name two.

Japanese manufacturers also have a philosophy to manufacture things using each others piece parts.....so TV screens of Sony are made by Sharp, or Acer who ??? The volume knob for most HiFi equipment (all mfgs.) tend to be made at one facility etc.

In such a climate I would be surprised if Leica could not negotiate something if they wanted to and could show ( as a Carrot) some commercial gain for all parties. I also would believe that Leica could (use the stick) and thow those companies that did not wish to share patents and technical knowledge on an equal basis into the EU court (Think Microsoft Windows!)

Be surprised; that is exactly what Leica is saying: they are unable to negotiate anything with the cartel. (although they call it "group of Japanese manufacturers", for obvious legal reasons). It is not an opinion of me.

Edited by jaapv

I also would believe that Leica could (use the stick) and thow those companies that did not wish to share patents and technical knowledge on an equal basis into the EU court (Think Microsoft Windows!)
You must know Neelie quite well. Why don't you give her a call? I'm sure she'll be happy to help out.

Guest BigSplash
You must know Neelie quite well. Why don't you give her a call? I'm sure she'll be happy to help out.

I do not know "her" and do not know why I must know her . Who is Neelie?

Is this yet another joke?

Guest BigSplash
I believe Jaap is referring to:

Neelie Kroes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind regards,

Etienne

Thanks for this. As I said Jaapv I do not know Neelie Kroes, and nor did I know Peter Mandelsohn her predecessor. I met Sir Leon Brittan a few times who held the competitition position prior to that.

Jappv as you seem to be on first name terms with Neelie and are of the same nationality maybe you should make the initial contact. However I would suggest that if a complaint is to be made it would have to come from the aggrieved party (Leica)....and it would be good I suspect that they have a strategy and the data to support their position.

Royalties of this type are typically of order 5% or are 0% and dealt with as a simple you can have what I have if I can have what you have. I have no idea why Leica cannot negotiate something ....do you Jaapv?

No I don't. And there is no question of a complaint in these cases - the European Commission investigates on its own accord - as they did with Microsoft, a number of times. - you should know that.

so the poetry's finally ended...

Neelie is not the Loch Ness Monster?!

I was still believing that Nessie was real, together with Santa and the weapons of mass distruction... :rolleyes:

Well, seeing she belongs to an opposing political party than I do, in my circles she is regarded as a bit of a monster, albeit not Loch Ness. :D