More rumors: Apparently, M9 is not the only camera to be announced on 09/09?

efftee

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sworn to secrecy on the alleged M9 issue, but have good news on the matter of R lenses on digital cameras. I can reveal that Leica Camera will offer a 'turn-it-in' service where you send your R lenses in for conversion to DSLR fitting, fixed price per lens 50 Euro, plus Insured Shipping & Handling just 15 Euro per lens. There will also be a rangefinder-coupling conversion service to Leica M for focal lengths up to 90mm, cost 150 Euro per lens. M8 and M8.2 Passport holders to get priority.

Time in workshop guaranteed only one day, but waiting time depends on demand. This explains why Leica Camera has been recruiting instrument mechanics from other German companies and running 'behind closed doors' training sessions since April 1.

Licensing agreement was signed with Nikon, Olympus and Sony on 27 May this year ,and with Canon on 31 July. Pentax are still holding out for better terms - Leica has offered them a royalty of 25 Euros for each conversion but Pentax are holding out for the same deal as the others, 27.50 Euros. No reason has been given for the discriminatory deal against Pentax, but another industry source claims it is because Leica anticipate such a huge take-up from Pentax lens owners, saying 'They estimate a lot of Pentax lens owners could want to take it up'.

A Leica executive, who has asked not to be named said earlier today 'We would like to get Pentax on board, but I guess we can live without them'. She refused to confirm that Panasonic have been given preferential terms, but agreed that they too are part of the agreement and continue 'to be valued co-partners'. She refused to be drawn on whether R lens production will re-start but confirmed that the new management ethos at Leica Camera is 'to go with the flow'.

This is surely the best news in a long time and should reassure the doubters that Leica Camera is a major force in the camera industry, with a firm grasp of market trends.

Please feel free to post this news on any forum you wish a matter of public service ...:eek:

I can reveal that Leica Camera will offer a 'turn-it-in' service where you send your R lenses in for conversion to DSLR fitting, fixed price per lens 50 Euro, plus Insured Shipping & Handling just 15 Euro per lens.

At less than they charge to 6-bit code your existing M lenses. One of these is not right! ;)

If this is true - very quickly in my case! This must be at a loss, many of my R lenses are heavy and I can imagine the shipping and insurance being much much more than than 15 euros apart from the technician effort involved. I wonder how they'll decided compatibility when some R lenses have marginal mirror clearance on Canon EOS series. Some cameras of the same model are OK and some aren't depending upon manufacturing tolerances.

Bob.

Big deal, all the fancy talks about MFT and EVF ... Leica is letting down again. LOL

I'm taking this very seriously, can I order some DIY kits to play with by myself? for example I want to have Nikon, Canon and Sony mounts and swap among them for each lens just for fun, is this possible? please. :)

Guest guy_mancuso

Not sure why I am reading this but there already is a Novoflex R to M adapter and there is also a lens conversion kit out that will convert Leica R lenses the mount that is to Nikon and Sony , forget the name. Why would Leica bother with this petty stuff. Or maybe I am not reading this correctly

Not sure why I am reading this but there already is a Novoflex R to M adapter and there is also a lens conversion kit out that will convert Leica R lenses the mount that is to Nikon and Sony , forget the name. Why would Leica bother with this petty stuff. Or maybe I am not reading this correctly

Guy, supposing these rumors are true, and Leica really has a deal with Canon, they could have built a EF mount with support of full communication with EOS bodies, open aperture metering in all modes, AF confirmation, perhaps with ETTL-2 flash metering support too.

These are stuff you can't find in bootleg converters. The R lenses are basically rebuilt as manual focus EF lenses.

It's not petty stuff at all, perhaps it's the beginning of Leica built EF/F/A mount lenses.

Edited by sdai

David Llado must be wetting himself :-)

Leitax is the name that Guy is looking for

Hehe, I forgot to mention about Leitax, Andy ... if Leica can work together with Nikon/Canon, they must be able to support zoom lenses too. :)

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, supposing these rumors are true, and Leica really has a deal with Canon, they could have built a EF mount with support of full communication with EOS bodies, open aperture metering in all modes, AF confirmation, perhaps with ETTL-2 flash metering support too.

These are stuff you can't find in bootleg converters. The R lenses are basically rebuilt as manual focus EF lenses.

It's not petty stuff at all, perhaps it's the beginning of Leica built EF/F/A mount lenses.

Does not Canon have a license on there mounts and reason Sigma has to reverse engineer it. I'm sure Nikon does as well. Nice idea but you still have a aperture ring that needs a mechanical part to close it down

They simply are better off building a body with AF glass and offer R users a adapter. I would certainly think a better company option than fooling around with this stuff.

For Leica to make lenses for Canon and Nikon it would have to be all new and not the R glass but new barrels and mounts but still could use the same formula's

so what would the M conversion be?

Guest guy_mancuso
David Llado must be wetting himself :-)

Leitax is the name that Guy is looking for

Thanks Andy and BTW these work pretty darn good from what I read on the forums

Guest guy_mancuso
so what would the M conversion be?

You can take a R lens today and use a adapter for a M but your still guessing at focusing. I had one with my Leica R 15mm to the M worked pretty nice too

novoflex r to m

You can take a R lens today and use a adapter for a M but your still guessing at focusing. I had one with my Leica R 15mm to the M worked pretty nice too

novoflex r to m

I have one too, so what would be new here?????:confused:

I get it: rangefinder-coupling conversion up to 90

Edited by manolo