if we are stuck with the M8 what would you remove from it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes we are all happy to own a Leica M8... but that does not make it a perfect camera...

And IF you take pictures with it, you will have something to say about how to improve it.

In these credit crunch times, what better thing to do, when lungs are full of fresh air and the sd card of images, than put feet up and dream of a better M8 that will not cost us more... but possibly less.

So, so far these are the things to remove that would improve our M8:

remove people who start threads like this

The self-timer setting on the power switch - make it a menu item.

The protect button, include a 'no-delete from card' setting in menu.

The electric motor for re-cocking the shutter and put back a manual advance lever

remove anything which is a potential hostage to fortune like the battery, for a standard one

remove all jpeg operations

no need for all of the buttons on the back

Jpg and AE...and auto-ISO. Replace by a fast ISO-change.

M-TTL. Totally useless. It turns out a flash on "A" works just as well

I would remove:

the USB port, never used it

the self timer, can it be replaced by a menu item?

the protect button, can it be replaced by a menu item?

the info button, can it be replaced by a menu item?

the wheel and four buttons seem like a huge waste of space for such a camera... there must be a better way to implement its features.

any writings and red dots... you may leave a black dot, if you insist, or just the traditional leica script on top.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<splutter> Since no one else has defended the self-timer function I will: menu-driven self-timers are a pain in the proverbials, especially if you have to use reading glasses to read the d*mn menu. If you don't use the self-timer very often then kindly leave it where it is for those who do! :)

(Oh how did I get dragged into posting on this go-nowhere thread - I promised myself I wouldn't. :()

Pete.

I don't like being dependent on a battery. Can't they remove it and give us one of those wind up gizmos like you get on those funky radios?

Also the cheezy M8 on the front. If they removed it you could paint on anything you like (M9, M10, M8.3 etc).

And to give us an authentic M-experience the could also remove the sensor and give us..... wait, that's an M7 isn't it?

LouisB

<splutter> Since no one else has defended the self-timer function I will: menu-driven self-timers are a pain in the proverbials, especially if you have to use reading glasses to read the d*mn menu. If you don't use the self-timer very often then kindly leave it where it is for those who do! :)

(Oh how did I get dragged into posting on this go-nowhere thread - I promised myself I wouldn't. :()

Pete.

Heh - I think the problem is that many of us end up using it when we didn't want to... due to the idiotic placement of it in the premier position on the power switch. I don't care if it's a menu item or not, but I wish it wasn't on the same control as off/single/continuous.

The OP has stated what would you REMOVE from the current M8 to make it better - not what would you add, make faster, wish for etc etc.

I would remove the electric motor for re-cocking the shutter and put back a manual advance lever. This would make the camera even quieter and conserve a huge amount of battery power - probably a 1000 shots on a battery would be possible.

Andreas

Same here! Besides, it would make the M8 "feel" like the other M bodies.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

<splutter> Since no one else has defended the self-timer function I will: menu-driven self-timers are a pain in the proverbials, especially if you have to use reading glasses to read the d*mn menu. If you don't use the self-timer very often then kindly leave it where it is for those who do!

Pete.

I'm with you. Pete. We must learn to discipline our right index finger!:D. Selftimer is practical on a tripod. (M anathema!!;))

(It must be we have nothing better to do:rolleyes:- or too lazy to do something the wife wants - like having a go at the moss in the lawn...)

Remove the however many millimetres it is larger than an M2.

When you are used to the M8 it's OK but when you switch frequently those millimetres feel like centimetres.

I definitely concur on that... I got used to the M8, but everytime I handle (fondle?) my M6 I miss the slimmer body.

See... if we get rid of some stuff, the M8 might just become slimmer... doesn't new technology become smaller everyday?

Pete.

I have nothing against the self timer... but I don't think it has the same level of use as the off/single/continuous modes... for every million times I turn on to single or continuous mode I use self timer once.

I think it should go somewhere else... how about switching it with the menu function, which is used far more often?

A) self-timer: no hardware changes!

Just in the menu a third option: 2 seconds, 12 seconds AND NEW zero seconds. The dial would then be: off, single, continuous, single. Only for those who chose so (the bet is, three quarters of all M8 owners).

I heard, that this was not in any of the updates yer, because at the first Photokina more than 4 years ago, a photopro suggested this to the R&D man in charge in the presence of his boss, in a very boastful way, so involuntarily forcing a no-go due to lack of tactfulness of this photographer. :rolleyes:

B) "If the M8 is long-term, then remove anything which is a potential hostage to fortune. Under the hood, remove any electronics that cannot be easily replaced by off-the-shelf components. We live in an electronic age but I don't see why we can't keep the M8s on the road for as long as the M3s. " (marcgay's point)

Very much to this point, I read here a post by an English engineer, who said that the main concern in his professional field is to find electronic and computer parts years later for their sophisticated products and their customers in need.

He expressed doubts about this aspect of the M8.

I don't buy a camera body anymore (D700 and also 5DMkII very soon go - very slowly, and if, than - for a bit less than 2k €) without a written guarantee, that all parts are available for twenty years after the change of models. It would be a good marketing point for Leica to make such a statement.

I've been using those Chinese meditation balls that you roll through your hands and I am almost at a point where I can change the batteries, lens, and SD card simultaneously without dropping my summilux lenses more than once.:)

The real trick is changing film in a Leica II (no neckstrap lugs) on horseback.

Remove the rangefinder and have live view focussing instead :D possibly including an electronic viewfinder with a small LCD just like with a video camera. You could make video's with M glass image quality..... plus it would cut the cost of the thing in half opening up a whole new market of customers that would buy the glass and then get firmly addicted - like we all are.

The Leica M-cam.

I will gratefully accept any share of the profit this brings. Dr Andreas can PM me for my bank account nr. etc.

My apologies for posting this in the M8 subforum.

The real trick is changing film in a Leica II (no neckstrap lugs) on horseback.

I didn't know that some horses have neckstrap lugs, John. :rolleyes: (Would these be the type of horses that Frankenstein's monster would ride?)

Pete.

Remove:

> Red Dot - (Done it already on mine with sharpie (black body), duct tape (silver body) - Alternatively, I will accept an advertising stipend from Leica of, say, $1000 per annum for carrying their logo around.

8^)

> USB port/door - doesn't function with a Mac anyway.

> Flush-mounted VF/RF windows - My pre-M6 Leicas had the windows mounted INSIDE the body, so they were recessed. A tiny bit harder to clean, but they collected FAR fewer fingerprints (which reduce the RF contrast horribly). Plus, I don't trust the glue. I had one M6 where the front VF glass fell out TWICE and got lost. Mounted inside, the VF assembly holds the glass in place firmly.

> Silly semi-silver mirror stripes across the top and bottom of the viewfinder - the bottom one supposedly darkens the bottom of the viewfinder slightly to make the meter readout more visible (originated in the M6) - the top one is just cosmetic to disguise the extra camera height introduced in the M6ttl. In my M8, the meter readout is no longer in the "darkened" area anyway, due to the addition of 24mm frames - so what's the point?

> Weird white (lithium?) grease that keeps creeping out of my rear control dial seam in little gobs. Must be a better way to lubricate the wheel?

> Requirement for external IR-cut filters for color - I'd LOVE to get rid of those, assuming, as the original post said, we are otherwise sticking with the M8 crop, CCD, noise, etc.

Keep:

I MUCH prefer the solid metal base plate to the TWO shlocky plastic spring-loaded doors (card and battery) on most cameras. It would be easier to weather-proof, too. Just a line of rubber-cement-like material around the inside-bottom of the plate for the edge of the camera body to seat against.