if we are stuck with the M8 what would you remove from it?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove the motors for re-cocking and let me do it manually.

Remove the C and delayed mode from the power switch, and make the power switch more resistant to occasional turn-on-in-bag-and-empty-battery incidents

Remove auto-iso and put an iso setting knob

Remove jpg

Remove USB port

Remove the screen and make the whole camera thinner and lighter and less power hungry.

Remove the S Mode.

Now the wishful thinking:

-remove an equivalent of 1 to 2 stops of noise

-remove the crop factor

-remove the battery and draw the current from some manually generated energy source (like some of these flashlights you need to spin to recharge). So I am not dependant on charging my battery anymore. They could let the battery there, just offer a way to still get a shot if you re out of battery, even if the energy creation is painful)

-remove the baseplate and make the loading of SD cards easier.

Remove:

> USB port/door - doesn't function with a Mac anyway.

Sorry to ruin a good whine with facts but this ISN'T true.

RTFM on how to connect your M8 to a Mac - the procedure is different on a Mac and doesn't use a file system connection but does use any of the camera import tools/utilities including Image Capture which is built in to OS X.

Btw: I do agree with the USB connector/cover being a useless feature though - but not for this reason. I've used mine only a couple of times and even then just to check it's function as opposed to having a real reason for using it. I wouldn't miss it.

As regards the timer - the M8.2 has a detent to prevent you accidentally going in to timer mode so easily.

For the M8.2 I'd remove 'S'tupid mode on the dial, although I do like the minimalist menu configuration that it brings up.

Edited by gwelland

I MUCH prefer the solid metal base plate to the TWO shlocky plastic spring-loaded doors (card and battery) on most cameras. It would be easier to weather-proof, too. Just a line of rubber-cement-like material around the inside-bottom of the plate for the edge of the camera body to seat against.

I agree... the alternative is probably worse... look at the usb hole cover.

We have wasted too much bandwidth over this pointless topic before.

I suggest people go take pictures with their M8's rather than spending time thinking about how to improve them. Mine works just fine as it is.

With all due respect, forums are for discussing topics, not taking pictures, so this topic is as legitimate and sensible as any other.

In particular, though, this may be an exceptionally interesting topic, for it focus on one thing that all digital cameras, M8 included, lack--simplicity, the very heart of film M cameras.

Paul

With all due respect, forums are for discussing topics, not taking pictures, so this topic is as legitimate and sensible as any other.

In particular, though, this may be an exceptionally interesting topic, for it focus on one thing that all digital cameras, M8 included, lack--simplicity, the very heart of film M cameras.

Paul

Thank you.

This was my point exactly... if we cannot get the latest and the most advanced technology, let's improve what we have to make up for it, by having the best thought out camera in the world.

Leica Ms have not been on the edge of technology for the past forty years, but they sure have been one of the best in terms of design and functionality and quality.

I think this exercise forces us to look at what we have an improve it for the long run, by removing the superfluous and modifying the good to make it, if possible, better.

If Leica can and will add new features, great! But what we already have is good (as many have pointed out)... let's make it great.

It's up to us to point Leica to the right direction. They know for sure that we want FF and all the new goodies, let's also remind them that the devil is in the details.

After much lurking in the shadows, I've finally decided to join in here.

Personally, I think that the M8 is a wonderful camera just as it is. I've been using Leica cameras for almost 40 years now, and I love all of them. Like any other mechanical device, they have their little quirks. But these tend to help them to become friends, not merely tools. Each of us may have different likes and dislikes about the M8, but we all chose to buy one instead of another brand. Leica cannot make everyone 100% happy with every feature of every camera or lens, but in my opinion they have done a wonderful job in giving us a real 'M' for the digital age. Unfortunately, my M8 is currently undergoing surgery at Solms to treat the dreaded green spot lurgi, but I've been promised that it will soon return home fully cured.

OK, I'll shut up now, and return to the shadows.

Nicole.

Im not stuck with the M8.

but surely, if they removed the stupid mode, C option on power setting, screen and so on.. hey I would not particularly object.

One would think that 1-2 strokes of the wind-lever could power the camera for at least one capture if it did not involve screen and powering the shutter.. let us manually wind the shutter and remove the screen. hmm. that would work for me OK.

After much lurking in the shadows, I've finally decided to join in here.

Personally, I think that the M8 is a wonderful camera just as it is. I've been using Leica cameras for almost 40 years now, and I love all of them. Like any other mechanical device, they have their little quirks. But these tend to help them to become friends, not merely tools. Each of us may have different likes and dislikes about the M8, but we all chose to buy one instead of another brand. Leica cannot make everyone 100% happy with every feature of every camera or lens, but in my opinion they have done a wonderful job in giving us a real 'M' for the digital age. Unfortunately, my M8 is currently undergoing surgery at Solms to treat the dreaded green spot lurgi, but I've been promised that it will soon return home fully cured.

OK, I'll shut up now, and return to the shadows.

Nicole.

Ummm... Don't return to the shadows, your input is most welcome :) Btw Apeldoorn on which sea:confused:

Guest kirkmingle
We keep discussing what else can we add to it or change... ff, ir filter, etc. etc.

What would you remove from the present M8 to "improve" it, leaving the rest as it is?

I would remove the lens cap before taking pictures.

Why shouldn't forums, such as this, be for taking (and showing) photographs?

That's what this one is really about. That's what this one started out as.

Dear Pete, Jaap, Bernd, and all. Thank you for the warm welcome. :) I hope that you will all excuse my random ramblings in the future. I don't take the whining too seriously, as I know how we all need a good whine at times. A friend of mine bought a new 'Auto-everything' camera a few years ago. Then she complained to me that the 'Auto Zoom' wasn't working. When I asked what that was, she explained that it was an automatic function which would detect the intended subject of the photograph, and zoom the lens to give you the best composition all on it's own! I tried to explain that I didn't think that that function existed yet, she complained 'But the salesman said it was auto EVERYTHING!'. Which all goes to prove, that no matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone.

Jaap, as most of the Netherlands is near sea-level, and if I dig down more than a few inches in my garden I reach sand, I consider myself to be living on the beach, and hence 'Apeldoorn-on-sea'. :D

Thanks, Nicole.

"Why shouldn't forums, such as this, be for taking (and showing) photographs?"

Contact Andreas: I'm sure he can delete the Customer Forum, the Digital Forums, the Film forum, the Collector's Forum, Barnack's Bar - and just leave the Photo Forums.

Most of the time, when photos get posted to the M8 forum - it is suggested that the Photo Forums would be a better place for them. So if we can't post photo threads, and we can't post comment threads - what else is there?

Proost, Nicole! Funny that there are so many well-known Leica photographers that are women - and so few women on the Leica forums.