if we are stuck with the M8 what would you remove from it?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We keep discussing what else can we add to it or change... ff, ir filter, etc. etc.

What would you remove from the present M8 to "improve" it, leaving the rest as it is?

The only thing I'd remove is people who start threads like this.

I don't think this post is any dumber than seventy per cent of all other posts. So I would say, make the buffer faster. Most of the time, I shoot only single pictures but every now and then you see something happening that just requires you to snap 10 image sin rapid succession, and then you'll have to watch the blinking red light for two minutes.

The OP has stated what would you REMOVE from the current M8 to make it better - not what would you add, make faster, wish for etc etc.

I would remove the electric motor for re-cocking the shutter and put back a manual advance lever. This would make the camera even quieter and conserve a huge amount of battery power - probably a 1000 shots on a battery would be possible.

Andreas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the M8 is long-term, then remove anything which is a potential hostage to fortune.

Remove the dedicated battery replacing it with an industry standard.

Under the hood, remove any electronics that cannot be easily replaced by off-the-shelf components.

We live in an electronic age but I don't see why we can't keep the M8s on the road for as long as the M3s.

Perhaps one of the engineers here can answer this question: Why should we assume that the use of electronics implies obsolescence or a short life span. Surely obsolescence is a deliberate choice, and has more to do with quality of manufacture than whether the item is electronic or mechanical.

A house builder once told me his dream was to build a house to the traditional quality standards but using the latest technology and materials - instead of using the latest technology simply to build more cheaply.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by markgay

The OP has stated what would you REMOVE from the current M8 to make it better - not what would you add, make faster, wish for etc etc.

I would remove the electric motor for re-cocking the shutter and put back a manual advance lever. This would make the camera even quieter and conserve a huge amount of battery power - probably a 1000 shots on a battery would be possible.

Andreas

Actually no, I think there has been quite detailed analysis of the power consumption of the M8. Removing the motor would have little effect on battery life if I recall correctly. Not sure about quieter - maybe it would?

Removing the motor would have little effect on battery life if I recall correctly. Not sure about quieter - maybe it would?

Now that we can seperate the shutter firing from its reloading it's obvious that the reloading is the quieter of the two.

If you want to preserve battery life use the shortest image review time possible.

What would you remove from the present M8 to "improve" it, leaving the rest as it is?

Odd question. Coming from a D3 and D300, the M8 is refreshingly (and for me, sufficiently) minimalist anyway.

We have wasted too much bandwidth over this pointless topic before.

I suggest people go take pictures with their M8's rather than spending time thinking about how to improve them. Mine works just fine as it is.

Aw come on - on that logic, we may as well shut down the forum now. I look in here when I'm tied to the computer and can't go out and take pictures. Lucky people like you who evidently can be out taking pictures whenever you feel like it, and disdain to post here can choose not to be members of this boring, horrible forum, of course.

As for me, I'd happily remove all jpeg operations; there's absolutely no need for all of the buttons on the back either - most of the operations could be handled with just a menu and one 'set' button.

Also not sure if the little flashing red LED really needs to be there - that little thing can annoy the cr@p outta me occasionally. So not much really - but 'less definitely is more' in the case of the M8, imo.

Jpg and AE...and auto-ISO. Replace by a fast ISO-change.

oh- and M-TTL. Totally useless. It turns out a flash on "A" works just as well.

Edited by jaapv

I'm not "stuck with" the M8. I'm delighted to have it. Pointless post. as John says - get a life and take some pictures. The fresh air is good for you!

yaaaawwwwwwwwn. Another totally pointless post. Go out and take pictures instead. The fresh air is good for you.

Oh and PS: get a life.

Andreas

A couple of weeks back, someone suggested this, and I was quite surprised by the idea.

It's truly something I had never thought about, and frankly, I think it's brilliant.

And I'm not saying this out of a feeling of ridiculous nostalgia, as someone will inevitably attack me on this. No, I really think it's brilliant. This would make the recocking more silent and save up loads of battery power.

Electric motors (non-ultrasonic) are all power-hungry, whatever they say. So are screens, but I'd keep that. And no more electric stapler noise.

Of course, there would be the issue of shooting fps (frames per second), but frankly, I never use this. That really belongs more in the realm of reflex cameras.

In short: I'd love it, but I'm afraid Leica will not dare to take THAT step.:o

Edited by Minos

Guest malland
A couple of weeks back, someone suggested this, and I was quite surprised by the idea.

It's truly something I had never thought about, and frankly, I think it's brilliant.

And I'm not saying this out of a feeling of ridiculous nostalgia, as someone will inevitably attack me on this. No, I really think it's brilliant. This would make the recocking more silent and save up loads of battery power.

Electric motors (non-ultrasonic) are all power-hungry, whatever they say. So are screens, but I'd keep that. And no more electric stapler noise.

Of course, there would be the issue of shooting fps (frames per second), but frankly, I never use this. That really belongs more in the realm of reflex cameras.

In short: I'd love it, but I'm afraid Leica will not dare to take THAT step.:o

That's the feeling I had when I first got my M8.2; but once I started to use the camera I found, first that the shutter re-coking is very quiet and, second, is useful in that it is a more convenient way of shooting than having to advance the film and cock the shutter on an M6. Incidentally having to do the latter on an M6 is not that quiet and the M8.2 is substantially quieter.

—Mitch/Paris

Flickr: Mitch Alland's Photostream

I must say that the noise doesn't bother me at all. I have an original M8 with original shutter.

Actually, once you get used to it, it has its charm.

And I'm using the new firmware, so there's no real issue in discrete mode.

No, I use the term "stapler noise" because it really describes it well.

However, I must plead guilty to bias. I just think a manual recocking would be cool.

I know that's not very scientific, but well. Using a leica M has two sides: great picture quality and a great camera to use (I did NOT use the term fondle: that's a thread everyone wants to forget.)

I also like mechanical watches. And winding them just gives a kind of...wel satisfaction.

I admit I'm a little weird, but well, I was born April 1st.:P

If the M8 is long-term, then remove anything which is a potential hostage to fortune.

Remove the dedicated battery replacing it with an industry standard.

Under the hood, remove any electronics that cannot be easily replaced by off-the-shelf components.

We live in an electronic age but I don't see why we can't keep the M8s on the road for as long as the M3s.

Perhaps one of the engineers here can answer this question: Why should we assume that the use of electronics implies obsolescence or a short life span. Surely obsolescence is a deliberate choice, and has more to do with quality of manufacture than whether the item is electronic or mechanical.

A house builder once told me his dream was to build a house to the traditional quality standards but using the latest technology and materials - instead of using the latest technology simply to build more cheaply.

Regards,

Mark

"The self-timer setting on the power switch - make it a menu item." david pattinson

I fully agree with the two, adding that the self-timer could get a zero seconds option in the existing menu, and that just as the house-builder, mark's point has to remain a dream. Though it is the best alternative to asking for more horsepower.

Glad no one suggested removing the price tag. :)