Sign in to follow this  
mustafasoleiman

if we are stuck with the M8 what would you remove from it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

why not? the leica M8 is is an auto camera in the sense that YOU have to do everything yourself, nothing else is doing things for you... you are an AUTOPHOTOGRAPHER...
There is that...

Proost, Nicole! Funny that there are so many well-known Leica photographers that are women - and so few women on the Leica forums.

It's because they spend their time taking pictures instead of whining about their camera's shortcomings. In this field, I hate to say it, we are the ones that waste our time on expensive purses for our tools.

Ii will remove noisy shutter mechanism and unreliable CCD!

Why don't you just buy an MP then? You have just turned the M8 into one

I will endeavour to answer your questions;

If the M8 is long-term, then remove anything which is a potential hostage to fortune.

Remove the dedicated battery replacing it with an industry standard.

There is no "industry standard" battery for high-level photographic equipment, and, to my knowledge, there is no working group on this. Nikon, Canon, et al all use their own batteries (a range across all their cameras).

This is unnecessary anyway; the camera doesn't care what technology the battery is using, as long as it's getting the requisite volts and current. If we come up with a fusion reactor the size of a Leica battery with the appropriate output, in theory you could put that in there. So by having a removable battery that's essentially future-proofed; while lithium will reign for 10-15 years, Leica can engineer in any new technology in the same package.

Under the hood, remove any electronics that cannot be easily replaced by off-the-shelf components.

You may as well throw away the camera then. There's an FPGA, as I recall, which is a "generic" chip which is specially programmed for the M8, so that's not a concern; but some elements like the sensor can't be replaced by "off the shelf" parts (although it's a Kodak sensor, I understand it's been specially adapted for the M8)

We live in an electronic age but I don't see why we can't keep the M8s on the road for as long as the M3s.

Perhaps one of the engineers here can answer this question: Why should we assume that the use of electronics implies obsolescence or a short life span. Surely obsolescence is a deliberate choice, and has more to do with quality of manufacture than whether the item is electronic or mechanical.

Regards,

Mark

The electronics of the M8 should last for a long time. Battery technology is not an issue, as I mention above. The reason most electronic equipment changes so often is because of inherent limitations which are overcome, leading to a new generation, be it more power-efficient, more processing power or speed, etc.

Why do we strive for these advances? Analogue media (as an example) is infinitely more accurate than digital media (literally); however, digital can be rendered with enough precision such that we could never tell the difference between the two (the resolution of the human brain simply isn't great enough).

In my opinion we're now at a stage where we can replicate many things digitally with little to no apparent loss of resolution. The M8 and many modern DSLRs are a good example of this, putting out photographs more or less indistinguishable, and in some cases superior to, film (apart from certain unquantifiable and arguably nonexistant elements).

So what is the point of this rambling? The rapid pace of digital change in high resolution consumer equipment is going to slow and focus on refinement in the coming years, I believe. The M8 will be here for a long while; a change to FF won't happen because of fundamental physical limits. It is entirely reasonable that the M8 you hold will have a 50+ year lifespan, serviced appropriately. It is also entirely reasonable to assume that, in the next one or two iterations of the M (and other high-level cameras) we will reach a point where improvement of the image will not be necessary or even feasible, and those cameras may have a Leica III or M6-esque multidecade production.