So what is your Leica product (purchase) of the year?

phovsho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had a reasonably active year with my visa and Leica. I bought an M8, WATE, 28/2.8 Asph, a 50/1.4 Asph, and a 1.5x magnifier. But my product of the year goes to the black paint 35/2.0 A which is now permanently afixed to my black paint MP. Not a new product or anything, just a great one and a reminder to me of what M photography is all about - great images, small size, and keeping it simple (as well as looking great!)

I'm in a very happy place at the moment, with film Ms and digital Ms co-existing. I do find it interesting that whilst the 28 cron A is the effective equivalent on the M8 to a 35/2 A on the MP, the film combination just seems more right (and is also more compact). Despite having a pretty extensive glass selection I have yet to find my "eye" (in terms of focal length) with the M8. But then I've been shooting M film cameras for a lot longer and maybe it is just a matter of time.

I think I have a summarit 90 in my near future, along with an MP 3 set. Those are the current plans for 2008 anyway, but let's wait and see what the new year brings.

So what is your new product or purchase highlight for 2007? What do you see in the crystal ball for 2008?

Best of the season

M

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I had never spent so much money on a Hobby in a single year so I had to get money out of it, so I start getting photography jobs :-)

I don't know what I will buy in 2008 as I already bought this in 2007:

2 M8 bodies (black and silver)

2 Leica Magnifying glass x1.25

2 Luigi half case (black and rally)

1 SD24 Leica Flash

1 CV 15mm + filter + JM ring

1 CV 75mm + filter + JM ring

1 CV Ultron 35 + filter + JM ring

1 Elmarit 28 + filter

1 Second hand cron 35 + filter and had it coded

1 Cron 50 + filter

1 Noctilux + filter

1 Second hand Lux75 + filter (probaby will code it later)

1 Elmarit 90 + filter

1 Second hand Tele Elmar 135 + filter

2 Billingham bags (black and kaky)

1 iMac 24"

1 HP B9180gp printer

1 HP 2600n laser printer

4 Vivitar 285 flashes

4 Cactus remote triggers

Several tripods, umbrellas, reflectors etc

1 Divorce (nothing to do with photography, I was the one who left, she did not kick me out)

1 New girl friend with 2 kids

1 Ring to ask my girlfriend to move to my house (she will first week of January)

So really not sure I will buy anything for 2008, maybe a CV Nokton 50mm maybe resell Noctilux although I really like it and get a Summilux 50 as it seems faster to focus, probably try Nokton first and forget the Lux 50...

Oh yes, I'll be buying 2 beds for my girlfriend's sons :-)

2007 has been a very busy year, many changes :-)

I wish all a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Eric

Well if I had not bought the M8 (2 now) then none of the lenses and other stuff would have followed. So for me it has to be my first black M8 back in April.

I still lust after some lenses. I dont have any Summilux lenses so I am thinking of the 50 mm for next year. But on the other hand I am rather fond of my 50 Summicron. And if it arrives a M9 FF - but perhaps not an early example, depends how long I can hold off.

Also I thought next year I might get a new Canon DSLR. A friend just brought his 1Ds3 around for me to have a look at. A very impressive looking piece of kit, but so large and somehow did not hold my interest as much as I expected. So probably wont go there.

Happy Christmas and best wishes to all. I have thoroughly enjoyed these forums.

Jeff

Hi Steve,

I had traded my summicron 50 in (practically brand new) but bought it back from my dealer (exact same amount as trade-in!) when my Summilux 50 ASPH went to Solms last month because of immense back focus.

Small size and perfect focus and beautiful results make me wonder what I'll do when the lux comes back. I do know that I'll keep the cron. I stilll love the small size lenses like the tiny 35 cron and lux pre asph and am starting to buy them back. I only wish the M8 had been as thin as my film M's. Even the M7 felt too big (high) to me when it came out.

All this just to say, maybe keep the cron next to the lux 35 pre asph.

Have wonderful Christmas holidays and a very good new year

maurice

An big year for me - agonising over whether to change from film to digital. Thanks to the helpful input of so many of you guys out there I decided finally to sell my Leica C1 and go digital with a V-LUX1. I am still not too confident with it and very nervous about any post processing. I guess for 2008 I shall make a determined attempt to learn what needs to be done after the "shot", and then master how to do it. Unfortunately there are no courses locally to help me through all that so I guess I shall have to be self taught by trial and error..........unless anyone out there knows better.......

Meanwhile I get tremendous stimulation from your photograph forum where stunning results are the norm. Thank you all so much for your positive and helpful input to my questions. Doubtless I shall raise more questions as I get deeper into digital.

Carry on enjoying your photography and above all THANK YOU for sharing your advice and results with us less experienced novices.

Richard

Eric's list makes me feel better...

No plans at present to buy any further Leica products. What do I hope for from them in 2009?

- Fast wide-angle (1 or more of 28mm/1.4, 24mm/2, 21mm/2, 18mm/2.8, 16mm/2.8)

- Updated 35mm/1.4

- Full Frame sensor body

- Better flash with tilting zooming head and higher output

I'll be interested in how the R10 is positioned but don't expect to buy.

[tons of expenses listed ...]

I wish all a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Eric

I must say I'm largely impressed. Hope everything turns out ok for you.

Eric's list obviously is hard to beat. I bought myself into the Leica world, which wasn't exactly cheep, even considering used items.

"Well I had never spent so much money on a Hobby in a single year so I had to get money out of it, so I start getting photography jobs :-)...

Eric"

Well Eric,

I would love to do just that although I really have to hone my skills before charging for photo services. Provided my interest remains high I should at least be able to knock out some baby photos once I purchase the 50-‘lux and the 3800 printer.

Regards,:D

Lots of toys to dream about, and who knows what Photokina will bring.

I'd like to add a set of 4 Summarits once the hoods are released - no sense in buying a lens for which you can't buy a hood.

Likely to find a 35/2.0 Gen-4 to add to the stable.

The quest for a 50/1.2 noct will continue, but the price will probably keep it out of reach.

Can always add UVIR filters to the bag to go on lenses for the M8.

A nice old M2 would do well for those days when I want to slow down and enjoy the process of photography.

Of course, on a more practical note, it would be nice to get the 3 pieces back from Solms that I sent in 11/5. New Jersey and Solms are closed until next year, so maybe someday I'll get my cameras/lenses back, but not for Christmas.

Now, if the marketing types are reading the list, how about offering Ultravid HD in leather? I would spend my $2K on a pair of those.

And to add a few on the chance of winning the lottery: M7 Titanium, MP Anthracite, M6TTL Safari.

As I told a new acquaintance yesterday, just remember to keep taking pictures. That's what it's all about.

Eric